AFLAC

My local offers AFLAC, but think that should be a benefit in the contract. This place wears a body down so that most off the job injuries could be traced back to the job.
In many if not all states they have what they call occupational diseases. One that happens over time and if it can be traced to your work, it is it fact on the job.

upschuck

If you knew you would get paid fully for being injured, I think that would increase the likelihood of bad safety mechanics in our daily procedures. If UPS offered us this, there would be an increase in injuries and lack of caring about looking before stepping or grabbing handrails or worse if that trickled into bad driving behavior.
I don't think that people who have good safety mechanics do it because they won't paid the same amount if they get injured. If anything, I think people would file false claims, in which I am sure there are safeguards against this behavior.

JL 0513

Yes I do. This company wears down the working person's body.

We have one of the few jobs left that pays a pension and pays 100% of our health insurance premium on top of one of the highest blue collar wages out there. And you want them to provide supplemental insurance too? Dude.

upschuck

We have one of the few jobs left that pays a pension and pays 100% of our health insurance premium on top of one of the highest blue collar wages out there. And you want them to provide supplemental insurance too? Dude.
Yes I do, Do I think it will ever happen......No I don't. It wouldn't break their bank, and would be the right thing to do. How many people have come into work hurt and get 'injured' in morning on the job, just so they won't lose the money? How many people come back to work, before they should? I have been told when my name is on the door, then I can make the decisions. Oh well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes I do, Do I think it will ever happen......No I don't. It wouldn't break their bank, and would be the right thing to do. How many people have come into work hurt and get 'injured' in morning on the job, just so they won't lose the money? How many people come back to work, before they should? I have been told when my name is on the door, then I can make the decisions. Oh well.

I spend about $100/month for 24/7 coverage. I have a co-worker who spends close to $200/month because he added the cancer coverage. This very well could break the bank.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ive had aflac now for close to 3 years. I got it through a broker who somehow gives us a discount through the union. Not exactly sure of how but it is available. I have 3 policies which are, dissability,critical illness and hospitalization. It costs me about 165 a month for all 3 and it is deducted through my checking account monthly. Luckily i havent had to use it at all but probably going to be taking an aflac vacation soon for a hernia i believe. We had a driver 2 years ago who had a blood clot in his leg and he almost died from it. He had aflac after i turned him on to it. He said if he didnt have it he would have lost everything he had. It pays you for everything like the surgery,dr. visits,physical therapy, etc. And that is all money in your pocket. They give you a set amount for each procedure. He was also double covered under Blue Cross and Blue Shield with his wife just as i am. We have 80 fulltime drivers and only 4 of us have it. Im thinking to myself like you guys are a bunch of idiots for not getting it. A small price to pay to protect yourself financially in case of an accident or health issue that arises instead of losing your house or blowing through your savings account or 401k. If you have it, you dont have to worry about continuing to work in pain like the biggest majority of the drivers have right now. Lets be honest, most drivers have some type of nagging pain or injury they have been working through. You can take as long as you need to take off, and come back when your health is where it needs to be.

Rainman

Its all good.
I signed up for Aflac through the union with payroll deduction at UPS. I have collected on fractures for my kids twice on accident policy, and disability for a month myself last year(1st time I ever missed more than2 days in a row I over 30+ years). You might find it cheaper somewhere else, but it has really paid off for me when I needed it. Plus wellness benefits for both accident and illness policies for both me& my wife every year.

gingerkat

AND there are other companies with better prices and smaller eliminations periods. Aflac is disability insurance that you have to get through your employer or is being offered through a family member.

Good and bad stories about Aflac. Most of the bad comes from red tape and shady denials. It works for some because it is taken directly from a paycheck, but like I said there are other companies that can provide same.

Do research on your own or ask HR. If anything ask one of the other members that said to PM him.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

24/7 coverage means I am covered both on and off work. I am covered anytime I seek medical care and receive supplemental income in cases of extended absences from work due to injury or illness.

Is this a type of policy offered by Combined, or are you lumping what you have with UPS with the supplemental insurance you have with Combined?