Am I screwed or can I still win the combo bid?

Ilovetoast

Hi all Im tossing and turning all night stressing out about this.

On April 16 there was 14 combo bids that went out. Im a parttimer of 11 years and put my name on all of them. Sadly again 3 weeks go by and no phone call or any notice that I won a bid.
Today there was actualy some one in HR and I poped in to ask what was the loweset bid that won on the combos...wanted to see if I was close.
He checked and it turns out some one with one year less seniority won a job I bid on!!

I was not happy, he told me it was because it was my number 3 choice and it was his number 1 choice. I have never heard that it works that way and I asked my Union reps and they have never heard of that way too.

Any ways im going down to the union hall in the morning. Do I have a good case or because its 3 weeks latter am I screwed?

oldngray

nowhere special
All bids are independent of each other. I never heard of a number 3 or 1 choice. Sounds like BS to me. Grievance time I would say.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yum!
l_combos_cheddar_cheese_pretzels.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
OP, I would definitely say you have a legitimate beef. Seniority rules all the time. And how would he even know which bid would be your preference. Unless you actually numbered them in the order of your choosing. But even if that was the case, seniority is still seniority. They should ask everyone on the list that signed if they are interested in that particular position and if not, go to the next person.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hi all Im tossing and turning all night stressing out about this.

On April 16 there was 14 combo bids that went out. Im a parttimer of 11 years and put my name on all of them. Sadly again 3 weeks go by and no phone call or any notice that I won a bid.
Today there was actualy some one in HR and I poped in to ask what was the loweset bid that won on the combos...wanted to see if I was close.
He checked and it turns out some one with one year less seniority won a job I bid on!!

I was not happy, he told me it was because it was my number 3 choice and it was his number 1 choice. I have never heard that it works that way and I asked my Union reps and they have never heard of that way too.

Any ways im going down to the union hall in the morning. Do I have a good case or because its 3 weeks latter am I screwed?

I'd say you have a case to file if you nail them before the other guy makes his FT seniority. If it's been 3 weeks, he's half-way there to his 30 working days. You need to be calling the union hall/business agent ASAP.

It's actually pretty surprising how often HR :censored2:s up on stuff like this, potentially screwing people out of thousands of dollars in wages and an earlier FT seniority date.

steward71

As long as you file the paper work before his 30th work day then you will be fine. In my area if you filed before the 30th work day and your case is not heard even for 6 months and you win they have to give you the job. HR is dead wrong on this, you can sign any and all bids it has nothing to about choice. It is about seniority, is that simple. But nothing UPS does is simple.