Amazon and OnTrac

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I just received a package today from Amazon and it was sent to me via OnTrac which is a service of FedEx. Never have my wife and I received a package from Amazon via OnTrac/FedEx. I know they use the Postal Service if it's small, but this was a 16X9X5 inch box. Can you say L.L. Bean?

onehandsolo

In the east there is a delivery service amazon uses called laser ship. If you read the amazon message boards they have received some not so favorable reviews.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
These regional companies are going to be an even bigger threat to UPS than Fedex. My Local's President told us last Saturday that the IBT is currently trying to organize them and is having some success with one. We have lost most of Avon and Select Comfort to one around these parts years ago.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
on trac is a division of california overnite, which runs fright up and down I-5. On trac has been making some ground on the west coast and has drugstore.com, amazon, and does LOTS of deliveries for the different car dealerships, toyota, etc since many of the west coast parts and tire warehouses are in california. I dont know if any of you guys on the west coast have seen on trac employees but many of them are russians who speak very little english.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Sorry, my bad thinking they were FedEx employees. But the point still stands that Amazon is looking elsewhere to get their packages to its customers. I will leave my first post as to not confuse your replies with future ones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These regional companies are going to be an even bigger threat to UPS than Fedex. My Local's President told us last Saturday that the IBT is currently trying to organize them and is having some success with one. We have lost most of Avon and Select Comfort to one around these parts years ago.

Add Staples to your list----locally Staples is delivered by an overweight woman in a white van who needs to learn how to park at a loading dock.

over9five

Staff member
In the east there is a delivery service amazon uses called laser ship. If you read the amazon message boards they have received some not so favorable reviews.

​We've had several Lasership deliveries. Can't say anything bad about them, they get the package to the door very fast.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Not much we can do about competition that doesn't operate with the same standards that we are required to. Imagine the hell storm if ups just started giving us polos as a uniform. We only drove old white vans. And last but not least we dropped packages wherever we damn well wanted to. We could charge a lot less and if anyone complained we just responded "if you wanted service you should of shipped FedEx, you wanted cheap so you got us"!

madhouse

My son in Portland had a monitor coming from newegg delivered by Ontrac. He lives in an apt complex with hundreds of people. Maintenance guy brought it to him saying it had been left at their door. He had been looking for it for hours because tracking showed it had been delivered.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Between OnTrac and the post office people are really gonna start thinking that having packages left at damn near the curb is the norm. I think it will get worse before its get better. People just don't appreciate service enough to pay for it anymore. Both ups and FedEx bd people have said that regional carriers are our biggest thorn in our behind.

cino321

I know a lot of folks who really hate amazon lately. They ship with whoever they want whenever they want. There isn't any consistency. You can order several items, and each item will come from a different carrier that day. Many My Choice customers I've spoken to are getting fed up with Amazon because they aren't giving us the volume they used to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you think customers are upset now wait until the sales tax is extended to all Internet sales of companies grossing $1M or more irregardless if they have a brick and mortar presence in their state.

The margin on shipping an Amazon package through UPS or FedEx (Express) is extremely low---I don't blame them for looking for lower-cost alternatives to get their products delivered.