Amazon delivery contractors operate with little oversight, report finds

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon delivery contractors operate with little oversight, report finds - Ars Technica

The "in-house" delivery is actually done by a sprawling mass of subcontractors.

Amazon has seemingly been bringing shipping services in-house as rapidly as it can as the company ramps up efforts to get packages to Prime members in just one day. But although those ubiquitous gray-blue vans and uniformed drivers all have Amazon branding on them, at least 250 subcontracted companies around the country actually do all the heavy lifting⁠—a system that allows Amazon to skirt liability when heavy pressure on drivers means disaster strikes, according to a new report.

The company has actively encouraged employees to quit their jobs and go start local delivery firms it can contract with. Operating under heavy pressure to make as many deliveries as possible, as quickly as possible, and with lax regulatory oversight, drivers delivering items for Amazon have been involved in "hundreds" of crashes and other incidents in the past five years, BuzzFeed News reports. At least six people have been killed in those incidents, including a 10-month-old baby.

DriverNerd

The former employee told BuzzFeed that he quit on his first day of driving solo after completing his training. “I thought, 'No, this is crazy. I had 160 packages and it was raining, you can’t even see,'” he told BuzzFeed. “I took the truck back and went and told the guy, ‘This is it. I’m done.’”

Ahahahahahahahaha

bbsam

Staff member