amazon/fedex ads on this site....hmmmm cheryl please comment

Coldworld

60 months and counting
anyone else notice the ads in the upper right hand corner. I know most are basic, but the amazon ones are advertising items that I have looked at on amazon.com. Also I see fedex ads on there. Cheryl, can you tell us if fedex corporate is paying money to advertise here. Can you also give us a basic class on how companies advertise here...I see that Yahoo is involved somehow.

over9five

Staff member
There's a link somewhere that tells you how they do that. Yes, it uses cookies or something. It's not a coincidence that it shows items you have looked at.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl, can you tell us if fedex corporate is paying money to advertise here. Can you also give us a basic class on how companies advertise here...I see that Yahoo is involved somehow.
Right now this site uses google, amazon and yahoo to provide advertising. These three companies all provide contextual advertising which is supposed to provide the most useful and relevant ads for the subject matter of the site. This is Google's description of their process: AdSense for content automatically crawls the content of your pages and delivers ads that are relevant to your audience and your site content—ads so well-matched, in fact, that your readers will actually find them useful.

We've used google for the past year or two, but recently I've been trying out new programs. You may remember the recent and very brief "green link" ad test. That company's technical performance was unsatisfactory so they only lasted a few days. The Yahoo ads are in a in a similar test period. Yahoo had a brief test here a couple of months ago which worked out technically, but their ads weren't as relevant to our subject matter as google's are. If fedex is showing up here then yahoo is selling the space to them...

A couple of years ago we used tribal fusion here but the ads weren't often relevant to our subject matter. Don't be surprised to see them get a second chance later this summer :)

There are also amazon ads displayed here, their technology is a little different but it is also supposed to be relevant to the interests of the website users.

Any and all feedback, ideas or complaints are welcome. I know that there are a few people that were waiting for me to reopen direct advertising and I that I had told everyone it would be available by mid summer. It's still on the to do list but there are a couple of things still ahead of it. Let's say mid August :wink: