Amazon raises hourly rate and overtime pay

WorkingAsDirected

Exclusive: Amazon raises overtime pay for warehouse workers

On Monday, Amazon hiked the hourly rate for associates to $17 from $15 and announced plans to hire 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers in the United States as the virus outbreak boosts online orders.

All hourly associates working in the U.S. Ops network will receive double their regular hourly rate for every overtime hour worked in a workweek,” the company said in a statement. “This temporary increased overtime pay is effective March 15, 2020 and will continue through May 9. 2020.

Our union should be getting a better deal than this right?

Dough99

521EC4F6-31B9-493A-8999-EF1A097D96F3.gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

On Monday, Amazon hiked the hourly rate for associates to $17 from $15 and announced plans to hire 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers in the United States as the virus outbreak boosts online orders.

All hourly associates working in the U.S. Ops network will receive double their regular hourly rate for every overtime hour worked in a workweek,” the company said in a statement. “This temporary increased overtime pay is effective March 15, 2020 and will continue through May 9. 2020.

Double time for Amazon workers is still less than my straight time wage. I'd say the union already got us a better deal, but hey, if that's not good enough for you why don't you quit and go get a job with Amazon. I hear they are hiring.

vvv

I personally feel we should get an extra bump for this regardless how much we already earn. That doesn’t have much to do with it in my opinion.
It’s like risk/reward. I/we are taking on extra risk and I would like to be rewarded.

This is a bit more than what people say “what we signed up for”.
I for one don’t freak about about what is going on lately. But it simply is what it is. And extra compensation I believe is fully warranted.

A family member of mine works for a major soft drink company and I was surprised to hear when he told me they’re considered “essential”. He’s not even a driver to top it off.

And here’s what he sent me as to the extra coverage and compensation that his company WILLINGLY offered without even asking for anything.
F8FE5E60-79C1-4738-A140-F4C42E448C44.jpeg

AwashBwashCwash

Double time for Amazon workers is still less than my straight time wage. I'd say the union already got us a better deal, but hey, if that's not good enough for you why don't you quit and go get a job with Amazon. I hear they are hiring.

Are you a driver? Because this is for warehouse workers.
I've been here for two years and I make $14 an hour.
I'd gladly take $17 an hour. What's the union's response?

AwashBwashCwash

You also receive a pension and health care and paid vacations and paid Holidays.

I'll never see a cent of that pension.
Never used the health care yet.

About that vacation and paid holidays -
[Amazon] hourly employees earn 40 hours of vacation time in their first year of employment and 80 hours in their second year. All employees earn six personal days per year.
That's actually more than I get at UPS.

Why can't you guys face reality and accept that a non-unionized workplace is receiving superior compensation?

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!

Why can't you guys face reality and accept that a non-unionized workplace is receiving superior compensation?
People quit jobs just to receive the healthcare, vacations, and pension at UPS. Do you have a family? One day you’ll realize just what you have at UPS. If I’m not mistaken, I got a 45 hour vacation check my first year and 90 hours my second year.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Are you a driver? Because this is for warehouse workers.
I've been here for two years and I make $14 an hour.
I'd gladly take $17 an hour. What's the union's response?
I'm PT too. Been at UPS almost double your time. Making 14 an hour, just like you.
It ain't apples to apples. Our benefits, whether you use them or not, are a huge feature.
If you get cancer, you'll be glad for UPS's benefits. Same if you get a hub mouse pregnant.

You could very easily see a portion of the pension. --Even if you are old.
In my local, my understanding is we are vested after 5 years. Very doable. Won't be big, but it IS a benefit you are getting.

After one year, you get (in my local) one week of vacation, and an optional week. 50 hours total.
Their two year plan beats that, but if you stay at UPS, you can end up with 8 weeks. Amazon does not match that at all.

PACNW

I don't think it's out of line to have a discussion about temporary hazard pay. We are expected to go out and put our health and the health of our families at risk to keep the boxes moving. Here in the Seattle area deliveries are way up and staffing is down with many sick calls. So, more hours, more potential exposure.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I don't think it's out of line to have a discussion about temporary hazard pay. We are expected to go out and put our health and the health of our families at risk to keep the boxes moving. Here in the Seattle area deliveries are way up and staffing is down with many sick calls. So, more hours, more potential exposure.
Lol.
More hours, more pay.
There's your bonus.

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden

What if you get fired? Will there be a chance you get your job back? I wonder if Amazon has production standards.