Amazon takes simple proactive measures, ups picks their nose

zimbomb

"Amazon told CNBC it implemented "proactive measures" to protect fulfillment center employees, including increased cleaning at all facilities and maintaining social distance by suspending team meetings at the beginning of shifts, halting exit screening and staggering shift start times and break times, among other measures." Why is UPS doing nothing? These are simple things and easy to implement. Halting exit screening and controlling social distancing from an operation stand point. Why is this company's stance "we are critical infrastructure and you have to work". It's disgusting and immoral to operate as if the health system is not facing a nightmare. My whole state is staying at home and I work for a company that plans to create a breeding ground due to incompetents and greed. Stop demanding masks, gloves and hazard pay. We need operational changes company wide immediately.

Covid-20

Ups should also give security guards thermometer guns to check employees temp before entering. It will be of a minor inconvenience, but I feel it's necessary. They should stop having to wand just to speed it up and keep the lines short.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Ups should also give security guards thermometer guns to check employees temp before entering. It will be of a minor inconvenience, but I feel it's necessary. They should stop having to wand just to speed it up and keep the lines short.
You think the guard wants to check temps? How much do they make an hour? No thanks!

Covid-20

You think the guard wants to check temps? How much do they make an hour? No thanks!
If I was a guard I would. They're already in close proximity and they still have to run the wand on you before you enter. You can keep arms length distance while pointing the gun at their head and it takes 10 seconds or less to get a temp reading. Temporarily halt having to get wanded and it will be a fast process. You're making it sound like they have to make employees drop trousers and shove up a thermometer rectally. Plus wouldn't you rather know if someone is sick? I don't want to take ignorance is bliss approach. If temp too high, tell them to turn around and go home.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
That press release is super vague. UPS basically said the same exact thing to the press. I'd be skeptical if they are actually doing anything. Staggering start times? So warehouse gets full of people an hour from now instead of immediately. UPS stopped doing PCM's too. I haven't read anything in there about PPE for their employees. Anything that would actually do something.

No one is going to protect you or care about you, like you yourself does. Protect yourself. At my hub we basically were told free reign about how we want to protect ourselves. I personally deliver to garages now, instead of front doors. Need a sig? I drop the package off, ring, and step off their porch. Business all get their stuff outside of their door, I grab their attention and talk thru the door. No one has cared and most have been appreciative about me not going in.

I agree that the company has done complete minimal for its employees, but I personally also think they don't care about me individually, so why would I rely on them to do what is right?

As for inside work. I completely feel for them. They have it rough right now and I make sure to thank them every morning they work and wish them good health.

Our local came by providing gloves, and walked around the building with our center manager pointing out all the inadequacies. They provided wipes for the diads and steering wheels. Maybe this week we will see some changes.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
I'm sure UPS would love to take responsibility for this.
Smh.
Plus, It would be more likely a sup to be taking a temp..."your running a little warm, but we need you"
I could just hear them....” 101..that’s not that high......you’ll be ok to work today”

zimbomb

Can anyone give me a reason why a driver needs to be in the facility more than the time it takes to get in their truck and leave? This is a honest question. Why risk yourself or your coworkers to stand around drinking coffee and getting ready before your on the clock. How many pickups are expected with a 1/3 the population of this country is on lockdown? How much :censored2: will be stacked up for the foreseeable future with no where to go?

over9five

Staff member
Can anyone give me a reason why a driver needs to be in the facility more than the time it takes to get in their truck and leave?
Agree! I'm one who usually gets there early to shoot the s for a while, but with this all I want to do is get my keys from dispatch and head out to my tractor. So of course, for the last 2 days, I've had to hang around for stupid little meetings with sups. WTH...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
"Amazon told CNBC it implemented "proactive measures" to protect fulfillment center employees, including increased cleaning at all facilities and maintaining social distance by suspending team meetings at the beginning of shifts, halting exit screening and staggering shift start times and break times, among other measures." Why is UPS doing nothing? These are simple things and easy to implement. Halting exit screening and controlling social distancing from an operation stand point. Why is this company's stance "we are critical infrastructure and you have to work". It's disgusting and immoral to operate as if the health system is not facing a nightmare. My whole state is staying at home and I work for a company that plans to create a breeding ground due to incompetents and greed. Stop demanding masks, gloves and hazard pay. We need operational changes company wide immediately.
You can quit if you feel the need.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Agree! I'm one who usually gets there early to shoot the s for a while, but with this all I want to do is get my keys from dispatch and head out to my tractor. So of course, for the last 2 days, I've had to hang around for stupid little meetings with sups. WTH...
More importantly, how are you holding up with not being able to go out for Sunday breakfast?