Amazon's Last Mile

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon's Last Mile - Gizmodo

Who delivers Amazon orders? Increasingly, it’s plainclothes contractors with few labor protections, driving their own cars, competing for shifts on the company’s own Uber-like platform. Though it’s deployed in dozens of cities and associated with one of the world’s biggest companies, government agencies and customers alike are nearly oblivious to the program’s existence.

rod

Retired 22 years
Amazon's Last Mile - Gizmodo

Who delivers Amazon orders? Increasingly, it’s plainclothes contractors with few labor protections, driving their own cars, competing for shifts on the company’s own Uber-like platform. Though it’s deployed in dozens of cities and associated with one of the world’s biggest companies, government agencies and customers alike are nearly oblivious to the program’s existence.

My daughters best friend in Texas is one of those Amazon private drivers. She loves the job. Any time of the day she can claim a package or two to deliver and get done when she wants to. She has kids in school so she only does a few a day--all residential. I don't know what she makes but it must be worth it. Where my daughter lives in the Dallas area she gets stuff from Amazon delivered the same day if ordered early enough.

i can make more doing flex in 1 day then i do all week working for ups. when i was working for one of the white van contractors at the WH i was making about 2500 every 15 days with ups i making 130 a week because they make us work as fast and unsafe as possible for 3-4 hours then kick us out of the building before we hit the 5 hour mark

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
i can make more doing flex in 1 day then i do all week working for ups. when i was working for one of the white van contractors at the WH i was making about 2500 every 15 days with ups i making 130 a week because they make us work as fast and unsafe as possible for 3-4 hours then kick us out of the building before we hit the 5 hour mark

So, why aren’t you still working for the white van contractors?

So, why aren’t you still working for the white van contractors?
because i fell for the bs the people over at UPS HR told me. didnt find out the truth till i was at the hub and started talking to people that have been there for 5-10 years and all they could do is complain about everything. having to work doubles just to make ends meet. guess not everyone becomes a driver and makes 100k a year... the HR guy actually told me i could become a driver in less then a year.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
because i fell for the bs the people over at UPS HR told me. didnt find out the truth till i was at the hub and started talking to people that have been there for 5-10 years and all they could do is complain about everything. having to work doubles just to make ends meet. guess not everyone becomes a driver and makes 100k a year... the HR guy actually told me i could become a driver in less then a year.

What did PT Barnum say

There’s a sucker born everyday

Or something to that effect

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I just watched what looked to be a father and son spend 6 minutes trying to find a neighbor's package in the tiniest beater SUV ever made. Looked to have 40 packages in it tops, fully loaded. I could definitely fit more packages in my car and trunk.

I don't see how there is any money delivering in my area. I am 45 minutes from the Amazon building and they have to wait a bit to get loaded from the videos I've watched.

Indecisi0n

My daughters best friend in Texas is one of those Amazon private drivers. She loves the job. Any time of the day she can claim a package or two to deliver and get done when she wants to. She has kids in school so she only does a few a day--all residential. I don't know what she makes but it must be worth it. Where my daughter lives in the Dallas area she gets stuff from Amazon delivered the same day if ordered early enough.
So many variables to calculate in order to see if its worth it. Great for younger college kids I guess.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
people think it’s great because they aren’t looking closely at fuel and maintenance costs, just the paycheck

Any truth to the rumor we are going to sort and deliver to their last mile facilities? We would drop a trailer and their people would deliver the packages.

They are opening a large tent about 100 miles from me to run Flex out of. The area is roughly 250k people with 3 Amazon buildings all 100-150 miles away.

I guess it wouldn't be much different than surepost, just feeders dropping off instead if package cars.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Any truth to the rumor we are going to sort and deliver to their last mile facilities? We would drop a trailer and their people would deliver the packages.

They are opening a large tent about 100 miles from me to run Flex out of. The area is roughly 250k people with 3 Amazon buildings all 100-150 miles away.

I guess it wouldn't be much different than surepost, just feeders dropping off instead if package cars.
we already do that