Any tennis players here?

sambag

Can you be a driver and play tennis? I’ve been a ups driver for 2 months now and been a tennis player for 5 years. Now for the first time I feel some pain on my knees. Is this sustainable? Should I stop playing tennis? Any tennis player here? Got any tips?

DriverNerd

Read that. Lots of UPS employees workout outside of their at work "workout".

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Can you be a driver and play tennis? I’ve been a ups driver for 2 months now and been a tennis player for 5 years. Now for the first time I feel some pain on my knees. Is this sustainable? Should I stop playing tennis? Any tennis player here? Got any tips?
If your tennis courts have lights, why not.

Brownee

Only 2 months! Come on man....you're still building/conditioning your "work" muscles. BTW, clay/Har-Tru courts are easier on the knees (and a slower surface).

oldngray

nowhere special
picdump_3486_03.jpg

trickpony1

Let's find some more cool ways, besides tennis, to subject our ankles, knees and hips to abnormal G force:
- skydiving
- power lifting
- worlds strongest man contest

I'll think of some more in a while....

....and then wonder why we can't walk when we retire.

Method Mensch

Try squash, instead.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can do it, just gotta listen to your body and take care of yourself. Figure out what's going on with your knees and address it, if you're no good at self-diagnosis go see a sports doctor/ PT, it might be as simple as doing some strengthening exercises to give more support to the tendons. Plenty of guys at UPS workout/ play sports, no reason you can't do the same.

vantexan

Pro players are usually done by their early thirties, often with injuries along the way. How long do UPS drivers last? Into their 50's? Seems to me if you regularly play a sport that's hard on your knees you will reduce your UPS working years considerably. Might get a gym membership and use low impact machines. Or swim. I was with FedEx and started having real problems at 54. Retired at 55 and just walk for exercise. Now 58, not as bad as at 54.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Well I use to be a good tennis player in my younger years.
I played almost daily from the time I was 12 until 51 when my balance and knees deserted me.
I will relate my story and consequent beliefs later in this post ...
but first, get your butt to an Orthopedics doctor and have him/her check you out and offer advice.
I wish I had!

If you are training for tennis, you know that you work on your lower body strength
and tone your upper body with lower weights and more reps.​
If you are not training, then learn the basics of tennis training and stretching.

I will sum up my downfall as being "big-boned and heavy".
Tennis is a great sport for smaller and naturally less muscular people.
I am a big guy ... in high school I was 6 ft and weighed 160 pounds.
I have a short inseam 28 inches so I have the torso of a man 6' 8".
I had a 54 inch chest along with that long torso so most of my weight was disproportionately
This allowed me to have short steps which is essential to tennis.
However, this put a lot of stress on my knees.
I ran 5 miles 5 times a week in under 34 minutes.
When I was 35 and 210 pounds, my partner and I were 5th in the state of Georgia for men's 35 Doubles and I trained daily spending over 35 hours a week on the tennis court or training on the stepper 3 - 5 times a week at level 9 for 45 minutes.
And then I became diabetic at 37 so no more serious tennis,
and I didn't change my exercise routine ...
this put a lot of stress on my knees and stress either mental or physical is not good for a diabetic.
I quit playing at 51 because of my knees.
That's all of my story that is relevant to your question.