Anyone see official Buyout letter today ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walked in to work this morning and all the guys were talking about was all of the FedEx drivers who would be losing their jobs. It's amazing how quickly disinformation and misinformation spreads. When I corrected them and told them it was mainly support staff in Memphis they understood.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I've heard that if enough people in support staffing don't take the buyouts offered, that they will go to hourlies...anyone else hear this? Got this from one of CSA's.

Also, we were informed this morning that OT was to be cut back to 8%, then 5% or less in the next month, then 1% or less month after that. This was from our District Manager. Has anyone else heard this?

Rhoderunner

There really is no reason to offer a buyout to hourlies. It will not happen IMO. The ranks can be thinned by other means. The OT issue has been chatted up already. Suppose to be NONE built into the schedule. The OT incurred for sick calls or other daily operational needs is still fine apparently.

vantexan

I've heard that if enough people in support staffing don't take the buyouts offered, that they will go to hourlies...anyone else hear this? Got this from one of CSA's.

Also, we were informed this morning that OT was to be cut back to 8%, then 5% or less in the next month, then 1% or less month after that. This was from our District Manager. Has anyone else heard this?

From the way R1a was talking the support staff will either take the buyout or get booted out. Unless that CSA is dating someone in upper mgmt I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Ricochet1a

From the way R1a was talking the support staff will either take the buyout or get booted out. Unless that CSA is dating someone in upper mgmt I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Carrot or the stick....

The buyout will be the carrot. The "word" is that those who don't grab the carrot next March or April, will be looking at the stick in May or June (involuntary layoff with no payout). The reason for the buyout is to get as many as possible whose positions are targeted for elimination to VOLUNTARILY take the cash (therefore making them INELIGIBLE for unemployment benefits), and thus saving Express the liability of paying for just laying everyone off.

Right now, the Memphoids know what is coming in October (the announcement was made to help reduce some of the anxiety and speculation), but the exact positions to be eliminated won't be announced till October. Then (supposedly), a buyout package will be offered (details of which haven't been publically released) and those in the targeted positions will have till March or April to accept or reject them. If someone rejects the buyout - they'll know that they'll be laid off within a few months after that.

Those targeted for elimination will have to evaluate their personal circumstances to determine whether they'll come out ahead by accepting the buyout offered (if they have something else lined up - the buyout will be a no-brainer), or come out ahead by rejecting the buyout and collecting unemployment.

In most circumstances, if there isn't a hiring freeze on hourly positions, those who turn down a potential buyout will still be eligible to put in a JCATS bid for a wage position up to and until they are handed a pink slip.

Now... since all the Memphoids are in Memphis - there isn't a hell of a lot of options unless they want to work in the middle of the night at the hub. Very few would be willing to relocate at their own expense to accept an hourly position - most likely a part-time in this economic climate. So other than a very few who may be just a few years out of working a wage position - I don't think you're going to see many cubical dwellers look to get into anything which requires physical work - they'll take either the buyout or unemployment.

SmithBarney

We were told this morning that buyout will be selective, so a STA with 100 CRRs they might want to downsize to say 80? they will probably offer 25buyouts and yes CRRs will be part of the buyout, because with the upcoming changes, they need to reduce the number of people on road.

vantexan

We were told this morning that buyout will be selective, so a STA with 100 CRRs they might want to downsize to say 80? they will probably offer 25buyouts and yes CRRs will be part of the buyout, because with the upcoming changes, they need to reduce the number of people on road.

Can only hope but really doubt it.

Ricochet1a

No buyouts in operations or supervisory/management positions. Buyouts ONLY for salaried support staff of Express and Office, the overwhelming majority of which are in Memphis. Between 10 and 15% of Memphoids will be eliminated as a result of this.

I know the rumor mill has cranked up - but some of the things coming out in the past couple of days are getting ridiculous.

SmithBarney

It was from our manager, Well while it might not have been official, but the powerpoint presentation sure seemed the part, and already a few FTers started scrambling. Ricochet I appreciate most of what you post, but we are going to be looking at a much different Express side of business shortly, we've already been told that we won't need the man power we have currently.(by manpower I mean the number of bodies in drivers seats, we already know there are too many in management)

Ricochet1a

Back in 2009 when Express panicked (at the sudden drop off in volume) - stations that saw dramatic drops in their volumes had targeted reductions made in their staffing levels. Couriers in these stations were given an option of either taking a buyout (which was pathetic), accepting a position in JCATS within 90 days of being notified their position was being eliminated - or shown the door. This was a knee jerk reaction by Express to the situation.

The volumes have dropped since then to a degree, but things have stabilized. If a station is overstaffed by 20% now, what they are doing is cutting all full-timers down to minimums, and running part-timers strictly for P1 in the AM or doing pickups in the PM. The full-timers in such a station know if they don't want to continue working for minimums - they had better put in for a position in JCATS and take it. There is also a natural turnover among part-timers as college students complete their studies and leave. So within a year, most stations have about a 10% turnover occur naturally. So what district management does, is to place a freeze on replacing Couriers in stations with extreme low volumes, and wait for the natural turnover and transfers out to catch up with required staffing levels.

vantexan

Back in 2009 when Express panicked (at the sudden drop off in volume) - stations that saw dramatic drops in their volumes had targeted reductions made in their staffing levels. Couriers in these stations were given an option of either taking a buyout (which was pathetic), accepting a position in JCATS within 90 days of being notified their position was being eliminated - or shown the door. This was a knee jerk reaction by Express to the situation.

The volumes have dropped since then to a degree, but things have stabilized. If a station is overstaffed by 20% now, what they are doing is cutting all full-timers down to minimums, and running part-timers strictly for P1 in the AM or doing pickups in the PM. The full-timers in such a station know if they don't want to continue working for minimums - they had better put in for a position in JCATS and take it. There is also a natural turnover among part-timers as college students complete their studies and leave. So within a year, most stations have about a 10% turnover occur naturally. So what district management does, is to place a freeze on replacing Couriers in stations with extreme low volumes, and wait for the natural turnover and transfers out to catch up with required staffing levels.

Big problem is that there are very few FT JCATS openings. And not all that many PT. We recently had a PTer finish college and leave but most PTers who leave, and quite a few do, are doing so because they found out quick there's little future at FedEx. And that was before all this Ground business. It may come as a shock to FedEx but most people want one job that'll pay enough for a decent life. Considering what's involved I doubt there are enough people in many locations willing to stick with a PT job. Even if that's what FedEx wants, continuous turnover, they'll run out of willing victims in many locations.

Ricochet1a

It was from our manager, Well while it might not have been official, but the powerpoint presentation sure seemed the part, and already a few FTers started scrambling. Ricochet I appreciate most of what you post, but we are going to be looking at a much different Express side of business shortly, we've already been told that we won't need the man power we have currently.(by manpower I mean the number of bodies in drivers seats, we already know there are too many in management)

This has been a trend that I've heard about - Senior managers shooting off their mouth, actually trying to INCREASE the anxiety level among their Couriers. What I haven't heard, is whether this is some form of official policy - or a few sr. mgrs. going off on their own trying to put their spin on what they see happening. Increasing anxiety among wage employees only accomplishes one thing - it makes the wage employees MUCH more likely to start signing union cards.

Now... if these senior managers are secretly wanting to get their employees to start signing union cards.... I'm wondering this just from the various reports I've received of "rogue" managers making statements they either shouldn't or have been expressly prohibited from making.

Remember, the sr. mgrs have been given the big picture of the impending changes, but they are not privy to how personnel policy is to be handled. The smart ones know that the full-time Courier will become a thing of the past - but many aren't too sure how Express plans to accomplish that.

I don't disbelieve you when you state a "manager" gave a presentation. I received multiple accounts of Sr. Managers holding meetings on company time where they tried to give a "big picture" presentation of how they see things unfolding in the next couple of years. I've held off posting about it, since it appears to be a "hit and miss" proposition (it doesn't appear to be Express policy for the Sr. Managers to be shooting off their mouths at this point in the game).

As I've stated, speculation in Memphis was rampant before the announcement was made Monday (it is why the announcement was made, to put a halt to some of the wilder stuff going around) - and it appears that the sr. managers have been trying to piece together the puzzle as they see it coming out. What also has become obvious, is that in their attempts to put the pieces together, they are making some big mistakes in how those pieces fit together.

To repeat, there has been no credible report come out of Memphis to me (through those I know) that there will be ANY sort of buyout or layoffs of wage employees. None, zero, zilch, nada.

All reports point to a company wide reduction in hours for wage employees as volumes drop (there will be a significant drop with Express Saver going away), combined with what amounts to a near hiring freeze for full-time Couriers and in some stations whose volumes have dropped considerably, a freeze on replacing part-timers.

There has been PLENTLY of route rebalancing going on, some creative methods utilzed to balance out hours among existing employees and other measures taken to acheive the corporate goal of OT hours being cut to either 6 or 8% of total hours (I can't remember which, I posted the figure about 6 weeks ago).

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Walked in to work this morning and all the guys were talking about was all of the FedEx drivers who would be losing their jobs. It's amazing how quickly disinformation and misinformation spreads.

It's amazing how much fun it is to start it/spread it, too!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

They don't want to get rid of hourlies because they'd have to hire replacements. They're looking to cut positions and absorb the work of those employees with those who remain.

The goal at this moment is for OT to represent no more than 8% of hours worked each day.