As Planet Warms, Advocates Urge U.S. To Set Rules To Protect Workers From Heat

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
As Planet Warms, Advocates Urge U.S. To Set Rules To Protect Workers From Heat - WLRN

Two years ago, James Klenk of Freehold, N.J. suffered a heat stroke and went into renal failure after several days sorting and unloading heavy boxes in the back of a UPS truck. He had been a driver for UPS for 14 years and almost died that day.

Klenk is one of countless workers across the country enduring symptoms of heat stress. High temperatures can pose health threats on a daily basis, including confusion, fatigue, and dehydration. More extreme heat can lead to heat stroke and organ failure, depending on a worker's environment and how quickly treatment is administered.

Box Ox

It's hard to describe to people how hot the back of a package car is on a 95-100 degree day. And there's really no escaping the heat the whole time you're on the road if you're running a heavy residential route. And you're typically alone, so the whole situation can get away from you quickly if you're not actively thinking about taking care of yourself while you're working.

Hope progress is made toward more sensible heat-related worker protections somehow.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
As Planet Warms, Advocates Urge U.S. To Set Rules To Protect Workers From Heat - WLRN

Two years ago, James Klenk of Freehold, N.J. suffered a heat stroke and went into renal failure after several days sorting and unloading heavy boxes in the back of a UPS truck. He had been a driver for UPS for 14 years and almost died that day.

Klenk is one of countless workers across the country enduring symptoms of heat stress. High temperatures can pose health threats on a daily basis, including confusion, fatigue, and dehydration. More extreme heat can lead to heat stroke and organ failure, depending on a worker's environment and how quickly treatment is administered.
I've suffered heat stroke 3 times while I was playing tennis ... one time the temp was 104°friend.
Not a fun experience when you 'come to' with the EMT's starting a bag of fluid into a IV in your arm.
I never had a problem as a driver but I did carry a thermometer with me in the summer and took the temp in the back of the car. I measured 140°friend several times.
I always went through the car in the a.m. so I did not have to spend much time in the back.

Remember, your safety is your responsibility ... take charge.

rickyb

I've suffered heat stroke 3 times while I was playing tennis ... one time the temp was 104°friend.
Not a fun experience when you 'come to' with the EMT's starting a bag of fluid into a IV in your arm.
I never had a problem as a driver but I did carry a thermometer with me in the summer and took the temp in the back of the car. I measured 140°friend several times.
I always went through the car in the a.m. so I did not have to spend much time in the back.

companies are responsible too

Box Ox

Does the fact that we're the only ones who can keep ourselves alive given current working conditions necessarily mean that our working conditions shouldn't be improved? I dunno!

The way routes are often blown out these days, you often can't really avoid extended stays and climbing/crawling around in the back.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Does the fact that we're the only ones who can keep ourselves alive given current working conditions necessarily mean that our working conditions shouldn't be improved? I dunno!

The way routes are often blown out these days, you often can't really avoid extended stays and climbing/crawling around in the back.
Certainly not ... go for it.
Ultimately, it is everyone's responsibility to know their body and take appropriate action.

Indecisi0n

It's hard to describe to people how hot the back of a package car is on a 95-100 degree day. And there's really no escaping the heat the whole time you're on the road if you're running a heavy residential route. And you're typically alone, so the whole situation can get away from you quickly if you're not actively thinking about taking care of yourself while you're working.

Hope progress is made toward more sensible heat-related worker protections somehow.
There have been multiple times I pulled over in shade , exited the truck and took a breather. Rather explain that as oppose to passing out and killing someone on road.

jagger john

if you put a dog in our truck you would be arrested for animal cruelty how are we stuck in 140 degree trucks for 12 hr day