Attendance/Termination

TXRevRec

I was a new hire for 28 days. I didn't receive any kind of HR orientation such as policies and procedures on anything about UPS. During my 28 days I had 3 supervisors, with periods of no Supervisor at all. I had several absences due to a permanent illness. I had no one to even call in my absences to. So my last night of employment, the training supervisor and our new (3rd) supervisor came and talked to me about my absences. My absences had never been addressed the entire time I have been employed and that particular night they discussed my absences and terminated me the same night. I had no verbal or written warning all. Can I fight this? Or is this something then I can't do anything about?

I was a new hire for 28 days. I didn't receive any kind of HR orientation such as policies and procedures on anything about UPS. During my 28 days I had 3 supervisors, with periods of no Supervisor at all. I had several absences due to a permanent illness. I had no one to even call in my absences to. So my last night of employment, the training supervisor and our new (3rd) supervisor came and talked to me about my absences. My absences had never been addressed the entire time I have been employed and that particular night they discussed my absences and terminated me the same night. I had no verbal or written warning all. Can I fight this? Or is this something then I can't do anything about?
You are SOL

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You were on probation. You miss 2 or 3 days in a 28 day period tells them you are going to be an attendance problem. They don't want the headache of having to cover your job that often. Not to mention a no call, no show.

TXRevRec

You were on probation. You miss 2 or 3 days in a 28 day period tells them you are going to be an attendance problem. They don't want the headache of having to cover your job that often. Not to mention a no call, no show.
What is the probationary time period? I wasn't given a Handbook on anything. No policies or procedures. Does UPS just have you bring two forms of identification and put you to work with no knowledge of anything? To me that seems like that's poor business practices.

TXRevRec

So when you answered the question regarding your availability to work "yes" you were less than truthful?

While there was no need to go in to specifics, you should have let them know that you may have to miss time here and there for medical reasons.
I was truthful about my availability to work. And I don't always expect to be thick. And that was a conversation that should have been between me and my supervisor if they time a roles. And I did have to miss work but I had no supervisor to report that to.

And also, so everybody will know, the only way that my absences were discovered was because our regional supervisor was finally processing are mileage and realized that several of us had been absent. So when we did have a supervisor, they were not monitoring or recording our time and attendance.

TXRevRec

So when you answered the question regarding your availability to work "yes" you were less than truthful?

While there was no need to go in to specifics, you should have let them know that you may have to miss time here and there for medical reasons.

** If that time arose

Sorry for the misspelling I'm using voice text

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
What is the probationary time period? I wasn't given a Handbook on anything. No policies or procedures. Does UPS just have you bring two forms of identification and put you to work with no knowledge of anything? To me that seems like that's poor business practices.
You are done here. You should have told them from the get go that you have problems and you didn't now you are claiming UPS has bad business practices.

You're the one with bad practices and you deserve to be let go. "Several absences in 28 days" "Never let them know about problems" "No one to call"....sure.

While you lasted 28 days, you should consider yourself lucky to have lasted that long. With what you have going on, you most likely wouldn't have lasted very much longer here anyways. This is our busy time of year and if you are that medically problematic, you really wouldn't have been very useful here anyways.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
IF the OP was forthright about her medical, I'd definitely persue it via other avenues, the union is pretty useless even with contract language on ADA and etc.

And if she wasn't, say goodbye and lesson learned.

scooby0048

We were receiving mileage pay because we were training at a facility that was 45 miles away from our actual facility where we would be working
Is this your first job? With your alleged medical problems, how have you been able to get along in life? If it's not your first job, what have your other employers done to accommodate you? If you had found an employer willing to tolerate your problems, perhaps you should have stuck with them.

542thruNthru

Short and simple... you were on probation for (at the least) 30 working days. UPS has the right to let you go at any point during that time. Sorry but it's over.

Yes we know you didn't get a handbook, policy book and whatever else. It doesn't matter.

Yes we know UPS buisness practices suck. It doesn't matter.

My advice to you is look for another job and ship FedEx. Good luck.

scooby0048

I call BS on the rest of your story.

You do realize that there is no "real" driver that gives a :censored2: about PVD's.

Fair enough. Do yourself a favor-----cut your losses-----these guys are going to rip you a new one if you keep trying to justify your position.

You kinda beat us to it already.