Attention Ohio UPSers

wkmac

Just an FYI

In what has to be one of the biggest violations of common sense and burden of proof in motoring news this year, the Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that officers can “visually estimate” how fast a person is driving… and give them a ticket for it.
Thanks Ohio Supreme Court for giving cops the green light to make up speeding tickets.
Supreme Court Justice Maureen O’Connor said “Rational triers of fact could find a police officer’s testimony regarding his unaided visual estimation of a vehicle’s speed, when supported by evidence that the officer is trained, certified by (the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) or a similar organization, and experienced in making such estimations, sufficient to establish beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant’s speed. Independent verification of the vehicle’s speed is not necessary to support a conviction for speeding.”

You might check local Ohio news and info and get all the details of this that could impact you guys on and off the job.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im guessing its been going on awhile. My husband had 3 last summer. And even when not, and submitted proof. The cop would have had to have a funny car if he was going 92 mph, to pull him over withing 500 ft of where she said he was clocked. He would have been across town based on feet per sec, on our vehicle.
It stays the same,
You cannot fight city hall.

tarbar66

Ohio State Troopers could not tell which truck was speeding about 15 years ago with radar so how can they do any better now. I had a friend that was pulled over for supposedly going 68 mph back when the speed limit was 55 mph in the Buckeye State. UPS had just installed on FTM's that showed his highest speed for the day was 58 mph.

He fought the ticket and the traffic court judge said he was still 3 mph over the limit. The fine was reduced and no points were added to his license. He passed away last year but I can see him rolling over in his grave if he knew about this case!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes it sucks, "an officer is a trained individual and can look at a car and tell how fast its going?" Give me a break.