Australia's Katrina

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, by now, everyone must have seen pics and news reports about Australia's major flooding. In size it's larger then all of Germany or larger then Texas & California combined.
It's about to hit the 3rd largest city, Brisbane, with a population of over 2 Million citizens.

I predict in will only be days, that us North Americans, among Europeans, will be asked for help & aid, which I find we should totally support.

I do follow currencies, and just in the last couple of days, the Aussie Dollar has fallen 5 cents, and is now below ours, because the cost of this disaster is going to be enormous ! (already estimated at 16 Billion and counting).

My heart and sympathy goes out to all of those effected downunder !

moreluck

golden ticket member
You noticed that none of this flooding took place when Oprah and her show travelled there?? Twilight Zone Spooky!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I spent some time in Queensland a few years back, I was in Rockhampton for a couple weeks and also hung out in Brisbane for a few days. I remember Brisbane in particular as being a beautiful city and a very cool place to be. It's pretty shocking to see those pictures now, Rockhampton is almost completely under water.

klein

You noticed that none of this flooding took place when Oprah and her show travelled there?? Twilight Zone Spooky!

Actually the flooding was already underway, just that Sidney isn't in the province of Queensland.
Australia is the 3rd largest country on the planet, larger then the USA.
It's like saying, how can someone visit New York, while the US is flooding (at the time of the New Orleans Katrina)

klein

I spent some time in Queensland a few years back, I was in Rockhampton for a couple weeks and also hung out in Brisbane for a few days. I remember Brisbane in particular as being a beautiful city and a very cool place to be. It's pretty shocking to see those pictures now, Rockhampton is almost completely under water.

Lucky you, 1 of these days I want to tour Austrailia and NZ, too ! I hope I ever get to it, before I get too old to enjoy it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Lucky you, 1 of these days I want to tour Austrailia and NZ, too ! I hope I ever get to it, before I get too old to enjoy it.
NZ is nice too, at least what I saw. I spent a couple weeks in Invercargill on the south island, very low key and relaxed. I could easily see retiring there.

NZ is nice too, at least what I saw. I spent a couple weeks in Invercargill on the south island, very low key and relaxed. I could easily see retiring there.
Good luck on that, I have heard that NZ is very hard to immigrate to. Seems they are very picky who they let in.

klein

Good luck on that, I have heard that NZ is very hard to immigrate to. Seems they are very picky who they let in.

Retirement is a different story.
Like, I could, in the future, retire permently in the States, but then I would lose my government pension and old age pension, plus healthcare.
We are allowed to leave the country for 6 months at a time, otherwise we lose those bennies.

As a retiree, you are welcomed almost everywhere, since all you do is spend your money, and don't work (you won't ask for a working permit), and ofcourse you don't get any of their government bennies, like healthcare or pension.
That you would need to keep in the US, and make sure it's valid for other countries.

klein

Why would THIS morning be any different than any other? He likes making stuff up when he doesn't know the facts.

Just take a look around where all our rich retired Canucks are !
Peter Pockington (former owner of the Edmonton Oilers, meat and dairy plants in Edmonton)
Conrad Black (the millionaire going to the courts, as is Pockington).

Most former Canadian NHL players have retired there.
Not to mention most cdn bands, singers, moviestars, such as Michael J Fox, Alex Tribek, William Shattner, and many more.

imagesCATHGQMX.jpg

Babel,babel,Canadian tourists are better, water only good for mixed drinks, hey where did this lint come from, time for another drinky winky (baaaaaarf) mmmmm just as good coming up.
imagesCATHGQMX.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
and look where all those comedians and movie stars go to make their fortunes .....!!!!

Oh, and you can keep Wm. Shatner !!

klein

and look where all those comedians and movie stars go to make their fortunes .....!!!!

Oh, and you can keep Wm. Shatner !!

What about the rest of the star trek crew (including Captain Janeway and beam me up Scotty) ?

Canadian Actors in Star Trek

• Nicole DeBoer - Lieutenant Ezri Dax
  • William Shatner - Captain James Tiberius Kirk
  • James Doohan - Scotty
  • John Colicos - Kor, the first Klingon in "Errand of Mercy", TOS
  • Christopher Plummer - General Chang in "Star Trek VI"
  • Kim Cattrall - Lieutenant Valeris in "Star Trek VI"
  • Kerrie Keane - Police Chief Alexana Devos in "The High Ground", TNG
  • Saul Rubinek - Kivas Fajoy in "The Most Toys"
  • Alan Scarfe - Romulan Admiral Mendak in "Data's Day", TNG Romulan Tokath in "Birthright II", TNG Augris in "Resistance", VOY
  • Barbara March - Lursa
  • Gwynyth Walsh - B'Etor
  • Matt Frewer - Rasmussen in "A Matter of Time", TNG
  • Linda Thorson - Gul Ocett in "The Chase", TNG
  • Duncan Regehr - Ronin in "Sub Rosa", TNG Shakaar on DS9
  • Tom Jackson - Lakanta in "Journey's End", TNG
  • Gordon Clapp - Hadran in "Vortex", TNG
  • Andrea Martin - Ishka (Moogie) in "Family Business", DS9 Yah I know she's not exactly Canadian, but I had to put her down.
  • Geneviève Bujold - Originally cast as Captain Janeway on VOY
  • Angela Dohrmann - Ricky in "The Cloud", VOY
  • Derek McGrath - Blue-skinned cadet Chell in "Learning Curve", VOY
And not to forget, another great Canadain actor that just past away was Leslie Nielsen, in Florida.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Never watched Star Trek, so all those great Canadian talents were lost on me. I always thought Capt. Kirk belonged in Mamby Pamby land!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The series showed a society where no one was forced to work, where one did what they wished.
No wonder klein closely relates to it.

klein

The series showed a society where no one was forced to work, where one did what they wished.
No wonder klein closely relates to it.

Yup, just like NASA, no one works there, and the lazy bums on the space shuttles and space station.
They must have told themselves why use monkeys if we have enough homegrown bums on the street, eh ?

Just take a look around where all our rich retired Canucks are !
Peter Pockington (former owner of the Edmonton Oilers, meat and dairy plants in Edmonton)
Conrad Black (the millionaire going to the courts, as is Pockington).

Most former Canadian NHL players have retired there.
Not to mention most cdn bands, singers, moviestars, such as Michael J Fox, Alex Tribek, William Shattner, and many more.
Why not save me a little time and you just tell me where they are, all I know is I don't have them.

On his website, Pocklington wrote he loves the U.S. because "they admire people who get out of bed early and make it happen."

snicker...snort...LOL