Backpacks, Tote Bags, and other "carry items" in Building

Hi, so I don't know if this has been addressed or not on this site before or not (I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything) so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

Today in my building they announced that all inside employees can no longer bring backpacks or bags in to the building. Lunch boxes and such are fine but no mesh strap bags, backpacks, or anything of that sort will be allowed. I was told that this was a company policy practiced country wide and our facility needs to "start" doing it as well.

Is this a thing? Are backpacks not supposed to be worn or had in building at all? I'm a PT supervisor and a lot of my people in my area have bags to either carry their lunches, an extra set of work gloves, yard safety vests, etc... Some people even carry medicines in their bags. I don't know if this is company policy or my building's management just trying to push the employees even further. I know management sucks in general but I try to do my best to abide my the union contract and make sure the people in my building are well provided for. I don't want their backpacks taken away if it is just some corporate :censored2: trying to look good.

Thanks for any information provided.

browner89

All bags in my building must be clear/see-through but it is rarely enforced, every few months the topic comes up and it is enforced for a week or 2 then forgotten.

The Range

In too deep
This was announced in our building today as well. We have a week to comply or as per the memo "termination is possible". No backpacks, string bags. Only lunch boxes and plastic bags. Anything else is subject to the guards discretion. There is not one guard in my facility who wants to see inside the backpack when I open it. They walk away signaling me not to show them and waste their when I am leaving.

People can and will continue to steal for instance, inside of radios and hundreds of other ways. We are subject to searches each time we leave. How about they actually do that before banning one arbitrary compartment for another.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How much stuff do you need to go to work? Some look like they are going camping?

images

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They started this crap in my building several months ago....and then stopped enforcing it again. "Oh, leave everything in your cars" was their solution.

A big point to remember....They cannot discriminate against employees who don't have cars, take the bus to work or get dropped off to work (which is a good chunk of our preload). They have to provide lockers for such employees in or near the parking lot/guard shack or they cannot prevent them from bringing in backpacks (which are, of course, subject to search while entering and exiting the building).

The Range

In too deep
I carry a partial change of clothes for the job itself. I sweat my ass off WORKING HARD for the company. In the winter I carry several options of a shirt/sweatshirt depending on where I am working. You know the thing they push in regards to adding/removing layers? I carry basics meds so I can STAY WORKING if I happen to sick. I carry other items like a spare set of gloves along with food. This is called being prepared and it's the smart thing to do. I have 2 pockets in my bag. The guards check neither 90% of the time. This is the result of a knucklehead who has his job threatened unless he reduces theft by % this quarter. This is the answer they arrived at. Everything is visible in my bag when opening if they want to look. They do not. The guards not doing their job is the problem here yet I'm no longer allowed to carry the things that help me do mine. Treat people like kids and they will act like such. I can come up with 20 other ways to get items out the door without putting them in my bag. Bulky jackets and my tiny school lunch box the next thing to go when this doesn't curb theft?

Also, they are allowing drivers to bring backpacks in yet pt soups and pt/ft inside employees can not.

Last edited:

KOG72

I’m full of it
I carry a partial change of clothes for the job itself. I sweat my ass off WORKING HARD for the company. In the winter I carry several options of a shirt/sweatshirt depending on where I am working. You know the thing they push in regards to adding/removing layers? I carry basics meds so I can STAY WORKING if I happen to sick. I carry other items like a spare set of gloves along with food. This is called being prepared and it's the smart thing to do. I have 2 pockets in my bag. The guards check neither 90% of the time. This is the result of a knucklehead who has his job threatened unless he reduces theft by % this quarter. This is the answer they arrived at. Everything is visible in my bag when opening if they want to look. They do not. The guards not doing their job is the problem here yet I'm no longer allowed to carry the things that help me do mine. Treat people like kids and they will act like such. I can come up with 20 other ways to get items out the door without putting them in my bag. Bulky jackets and my tiny school lunch box the next thing to go when this doesn't curb theft?

Also, they are allowing drivers to bring backpacks in yet pt soups and pt/ft inside employees can not.
They trust us

km3

PT sups and FT employees can bring backbacks in here, otherwise they're not allowed. Curiously, PT employees can bring drawstring bags in. Not many people bring those in, though.

The thing that'll really get people as riled up as you are is if they start enforcing the no-phone rule, which is clearly posted outside the guard shack, but has never been enforced for even one day in the 15 months I've been here.

The Range

In too deep
The notice said ".. and all other prohibited items". Phones are a prohibited item according to the company. However, didn't the NLRB rule in December an employer can not enforce that policy? Our notice had stick figures with items allowed and not allowed. Draw strings are not allowed. "Plastic bags, small lunch containers" only with everything else being subject to guards discretion. You mean the rotating cast of bums with no desire to wake up from their comfortable slumber?

km3

The notice said ".. and all other prohibited items". Phones are a prohibited item according to the company. However, didn't the NLRB rule in December an employer can not enforce that policy?

Dunno. I just know that if it did, they never enforced the rule before the ruling anyway, and I guess now they never will.

I don't have a smartphone, but if I did, UPS isn't the kind of place I'd want to bring it anyway. That's how my last one broke.

The Dark Knight

Just yesterday some authority figure in the guard shack (not sure who he was exactly) told us all the same thing. They said any size cooler is okay but no backpacks, and that this rule only applies to inside employees. They also said this is a company rule and we are the only hub in the country out of compliance, the rest have been doing this for a long time.

Last edited: