BBQ: Green Egg vs Kamado Joe, Or Throw In A Wild Card

wkmac

No gas grills. Wood or Charcoal only. Nothing against gas as I have a Weber Genesis II LX S 440 but this is about low and slow with that real smokey flavor.

Throwing around the idea of getting an Egg or Kamado Joe, leaning Joe at the moment, but interested in what others have chosen to do. Also thoughts on off set smokers? I've had a Brinkmann and Charboil off set smoker over the years and with modifications they've done OK. Firebox typically don't last. Thought about moving up to a thicker metal offset grill like this one from LoneStarGrillz out of Texas but also interested in the Egg or Kamado and the options these present.

When it comes to the backyard cuisine, how do you "low and slow"?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Traeger
True set it and forget it

I have an old Oklahoma Joes offset smoker that I used for many years it turned out some good BBQ over the years but had to constantly be monitored

Haven't used it since I got the Traeger you can adjust temps from 170 up to 450
It uses wood pellets that come in several different woods I mix the apple and hickory for pork
It's so easy almost fool proof

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Tony makes really good ribs on this one:

If we had a bigger budget we would have gone for the big greed egg but the Vision kamado we found in our local Costco works great. It's a knockoff big green egg that smokes, grills and is an oven. Here's a super cheesy video about it. The one Costco sells is similar to their least expensive B version.

wkmac

Traeger
True set it and forget it

I have an old Oklahoma Joes offset smoker that I used for many years it turned out some good BBQ over the years but had to constantly be monitored

Haven't used it since I got the Traeger you can adjust temps from 170 up to 450
It uses wood pellets that come in several different woods I mix the apple and hickory for pork
It's so easy almost fool proof

I've heard several who own this grill speak highly of it, a co-worker has one and swears by it but I still love just throwing in a stick of wood. I have direct access to all the wood I'll ever want so fuel is not a problem.

My Brinkmann worked great after I modified it to direct the smoke flow and I relocated the stack to get a better offset effect. Another thing I did was to have a separate fire where I start the wood burn and then add the burned wood to the fire box. This kept down the excess smoke effect of placing new wood on the fire and it also better stabilized the temperature control.

Good stuff. Thanks.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Wife got me a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker for Christmas. Works fine for me. Plug that bitch in, go play 18, come home to perfect pork or ribs. Screw all that wood temperature work.

wkmac

I don't know if he is talking to you.

If that was for me, not sure I'd want the do anything to change that. That seems like something I prefer to cultivate. There are several here I'd prefer they consider me not to exist at all. Makes for a better life for both of us.

:winks:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
20170418_141124.jpg

I have an Akorn which is less expensive than a big green egg. I have had some truly good results with it. Very versatile.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wife got me a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker for Christmas. Works fine for me. Plug that bitch in, go play 18, come home to perfect pork or ribs. Screw all that wood temperature work.
Rookie!!!!

ANYONE can do that. I wouldn't even feel right taking compliments on my meat :)