Becoming a steward.

Dr.Brownz

Our Ba agent has asked if I would be interested in become a steward, most of ours are older one that will retire in the next few years. What are some tips to become a good one? I am not worried about learning the Union book I can do that and know a decent amount already. More so interested into the meeting with sups and fighting people’s cases etc

Never compromise with the company. Ever. Fight them on everything and never stop fighting.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our Ba agent has asked if I would be interested in become a steward, most of ours are older one that will retire in the next few years. What are some tips to become a good one? I am not worried about learning the Union book I can do that and know a decent amount already. More so interested into the meeting with sups and fighting people’s cases etc
Is he asking you to run in an election or trying to self appoint you?

Overpaid Union Thug

Self appoint. Him and 2 of the other stewards. We don’t do elections for stewards here.
That doesn’t seem fair to me. The members should have a say as well. What if a BA doesn’t want someone to be a steward because of personal/political reasons? I don’t doubt that your local, or anyone else’s for that matter, has the power to self appoint (or even block who the members pic) but, in my opinion the members should have a say too.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That doesn’t seem fair to me. The members should have a say as well. What if a BA doesn’t want someone to be a steward because of personal/political reasons? I don’t doubt that your local, or anyone else’s for that matter, has the power to self appoint (or even block who the members pic) but, in my opinion the members should have a say too.

We just put up a list, two positions, two people signed up. Bob's your uncle.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's all spelled out in every Local's bylaws.

Just as in some Local's, the President is the principal officer and in others it's the

Secretary-Treasurer. Some Local's elect BA's.... and in some they are appointed.

22.34life

If ur gonna do it do it before the older stewards retire,believe me ur gonna need the help.knowing the language is only half the battle the situations will come and come and EXPERIENCE is the only thing that will help u.my advice is this,if u have not doubted ur abilty to be a steward or haven't thought maybe this isn't for me then it probably isn't for u.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If ur gonna do it do it before the older stewards retire,believe me ur gonna need the help.knowing the language is only half the battle the situations will come and come and EXPERIENCE is the only thing that will help u.my advice is this,if u have not doubted ur abilty to be a steward or haven't thought maybe this isn't for me then it probably isn't for u.

That's hard to read.