Becoming a Union Steward

I don't know where to start. I want to become a union steward. I'm 21 and have had a passion for labor unions, and have been around labor issues since I was 10 and my dad got involved in strikes. I feel like my union stewards could use someone like me as I feel like they do not connect with young people or new hires. I know I could connect with them better. I've gotten several coworkers to join Teamsters. Where would I start with this pursuit?

allahuakbar

She/Her
Put your name up during the yearly elections. Also chat with your current and let him know your thoughts.

I’d never do it. I wouldn’t want my coworkers calling me crying everyday cause a sup looked at them mean today.

Put your name up during the yearly elections. Also chat with your current and let him know your thoughts.

I’d never do it. I wouldn’t want my coworkers calling me crying everyday cause a sup looked at them mean today.
The current guys don't seem to make much conversation with me unless I approach them with a grievance. I've mentioned I wanted to be a steward before but they kinda brush it off. However some the union guys outside my hub were pretty friendly and said I should go to meetings end of September.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The current guys don't seem to make much conversation with me unless I approach them with a grievance. I've mentioned I wanted to be a steward before but they kinda brush it off. However some the union guys outside my hub were pretty friendly and said I should go to meetings end of September.
So, why not go ahead and “go to meetings end of September”
It seems as though you’ve answered your own question

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sounds like you may be right for the position even though it is a thankless job for the most part.

If you help someone they will love you
If you can't help someone they will hate you.

The majority will usually be the second one.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don't know where to start. I want to become a union steward. I'm 21 and have had a passion for labor unions, and have been around labor issues since I was 10 and my dad got involved in strikes. I feel like my union stewards could use someone like me as I feel like they do not connect with young people or new hires. I know I could connect with them better. I've gotten several coworkers to join Teamsters. Where would I start with this pursuit?
Go to meetings. Read the contract. Read your supplement. Understand your contracts. You can start to become an active member and build a base before you decide to run. You don’t have to be a steward to be active in the union. The more people that are active and participating the better things will get.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

542thruNthru

100% this!
Go to meetings. Read the contract. Read your supplement. Understand your contracts. You can start to become an active member and build a base before you decide to run. You don’t have to be a steward to be active in the union. The more people that are active and participating the better things will get.

Members quickly notice the people that are active in the union. Even if you're not a steward they will approach you for information and advice.

Inthegame

I don't know where to start. I want to become a union steward. I'm 21 and have had a passion for labor unions, and have been around labor issues since I was 10 and my dad got involved in strikes.

Other members respect someone who accurately knows the contract. By going to mtgs, you'll learn how things really work.

Ask questions either during or after the meetings. As previously stated, read your contract cover to cover. Then read your local bylaws and the IBT Constitution.
I feel like my union stewards could use someone like me as I feel like they do not connect with young people or new hires. I know I could connect with them better.

You'd be wise to reconsider that attitude.

I always appreciated and encouraged help from "younger" members but don't make the common mistake of youth by thinking older stewards can't relate. Unless your stewards were born at 22, they were 21 once. Remember, they walked in your shoes, you've never walked in theirs.

In every steward election I was in, my support increased. By your thinking I should've vacated my position at 30?

Things don't change as much as you think. Keep your ears open and mouth closed until you know how the world goes round.