Bid driver retirement.

kingOFchester

We bid every year. If a bid driver retires, how long before that route has to go out for bid? In my center it seems the route just becomes vacant until the following bid season and the cover drivers cover it from day to day. Does this seem right?

kingOFchester

Makes sense, but in my center we have had drivers retire during the summer, and the trip sits vacant till the following year, Will have to read the contract here.

Talk to your ba & steward. Maybe it needs to be grieved. This is how things get put into the contract somebody has to step up and send it up the chain. Good luck

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When we have a bid driver retire the route remains open until that driver has used all of his accrued time and is officially retired just in case he changes his mind. We have yet to have one change his mind. The bid is normally posted within a month or so of the retirement date.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our bids are up for two weeks after all of the retiring driver's time has been accounted for. That is normal practice. The last driver to retire, though, his route had to be grieved as the District leadership thought it would be wise to eliminate the route. It didn't work. They ended up adding routes.

iowa boy

When we have a bid driver retire the route remains open until that driver has used all of his accrued time and is officially retired just in case he changes his mind. We have yet to have one change his mind. The bid is normally posted within a month or so of the retirement date.

This is what we do where I'm at too.