Big Brown wins/Fred S cries

diesel96

Hillary Clinton last week put her money on Eight Belles to win the race:
"I hope that everybody will go to the derby on Saturday and place just a little money on the filly for me," Sen. Clinton told supporters in Jeffersonville, Ind., ABC News reports. "I won't be able to be there this year - my daughter is going to be there and so she has strict instructions to bet on Eight Belles."

Might be a indication of things to come after this Tuesday's Elections.....

Very sad day for Family and trainers of Eight Belles, not only experiencing the agony of defeat but to add insult to injury, euthanised there on the spot. As low as that story marred this year's Kentucky Derby, the winning team of Big Brown were feeling the thrill of victory. Heartfelt stories from the horse's owner recovery from addiction and the winning jockey's son coping with his disabilities. A very emotion roller coaster ride.

satellitedriver

The fact that the winner of todays Kentucky Derby was a horse that had a name that could remotely be associated with a big, and sometimes obnoxious, big business is overshadowed only by the fact that an animal lost its life feeding the greed of mankind.
It is the nature of the horse to be free,to run, to roam. Man has figured out a way to capitalize on the truly free spirit of the horse.
Wanna know what poetic justice would be? .....if the winner of todays horse race was found to have performance enhancers in the system. That would so encapsulate the greed of mankind, of big business and the tragedy of a life lost.
I hope all that bet and won on todays horse race slowly suffocate on their greed.
Go ahead and negative rep me....I don't care.
You were, or are, a horse owner.
Follow your own advice and set them free to roam and see how long they last.
Man domesticated dogs and horses thousands of years ago.
The free spirit concept of the horse came from the mustangs that have only run free in America for 300 years.
I love horses and have always enjoyed their company.
I cherish the culture of the plains Indians. They, to, altered diet and the physical nature of the horse, to meet their needs.
No corporation has every found a way to break the free spirit of a horse, but it seems that a corporation found a way to break your spirit.
No need to neg rep you, you do that well enough on your own.

trickpony1

No corporation has every found a way to break the free spirit of a horse, but it seems that a corporation found a way to break your spirit.
No need to neg rep you, you do that well enough on your own.

They are a LONG way away from breaking my spirit.......but I appreciate your concern(sarcasm).

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I had to get online first thing this morning and find pictures to copy of the horse with the jockey and ups logo.

My dad lived for his horses, he died 3 years ago and this photo will go alongside his. He said if there weren't horses in heave he didn't want to go, I'm sure he's there now enjoying all those steeds who went on before him.

He also had a horse break a leg in a race and I found him crying at the stables after it was put down.

Horse racing was his life, all that kept him alive his last 20 years. So this is a small way to connect the two of us, he was always proud that his daughter was a ups driver.

I would like to see them get rid of boxing and ultimate fighting first, where the humans get killed or dopey for life.

If they did that then they'd have to get rid of 80 percent of sports I think. No one forces them to fight like no one forces you to drive a car that you might get killed in. As someone said before, don't like it don't watch it.

tieguy

Banned
The fact that the winner of todays Kentucky Derby was a horse that had a name that could remotely be associated with a big, and sometimes obnoxious, big business is overshadowed only by the fact that an animal lost its life feeding the greed of mankind.
It is the nature of the horse to be free,to run, to roam. Man has figured out a way to capitalize on the truly free spirit of the horse.
Reality check. This is why I love Trickpony because he is great at making assumptions and making a fool of himself.

In this case tragically the horse broke its legs after the race not while feeding the greed of mankind.

Its an accident that could have happened at any time prior to or after the race.

If it had happened while she was roaming and free like trick wants then in reality she would have layed there suffering in extreme pain until some wild animal came along and put her out of her misery.

The problem with you pita nuts that speak this wild and free talk is you don't realize how much more animals suffer when they live wild and free.

trickpony1

Tieguy-
You're right. You are always right.
Human professional sports players know what they are getting into. Animals do not.
I'm against horse racing. Perhaps you can show me where, in nature, packs of 20 horses run at full sprint, in tight formation for 2-2.5 minutes.
I'm against greyhound racing (if a dog doesn't perform it is killed or impounded for life.) Why do you think there are greyhound rescue organizations?
I'm against bull fighting for obvious reason but, for you, I will explain. Let me thrust sharp barbed "spears" into your back every time you react to a visual stimuli (red cape) until you bleed to death.
I'm against bull riding for obvious reasons but, once again, for you I will explain. Let me tie a rope around your groin area real tight and see if you don't buck.

In nature, as you suggest, I'm sure there are animals that become disabled and are devoured by predators but at least they didn't live the life that the racehorse, greyhound, bull and other "entertainment animals" lived prior to their demise.

I am in favor of the "running of the bulls" in Spain. I delight every time one of the ignorant asses gets run over or gored by the bull. Vengence can be sweet.

While we are here help me understand something........
There was a guy that owned a racehorse.
One morning, over breakfast, he just up and decided that he would name his horse "Big Brown" IN HONOR of UPS.
How many of us do you think are stupid enough to believe there wasn't an incentive like money slid under the table.?

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy-
I'm against horse racing. Perhaps you can show me where, in nature, packs of 20 horses run at full sprint, in tight formation for 2-2.5 minutes.

You're kidding right. They do it in the wild all the time.

I'm against greyhound racing (if a dog doesn't perform it is killed or impounded for life.) Why do you think there are greyhound rescue organizations?

good for you I don't believe I defended the slaughter of greyhounds but go ahead and share with me your other aversions.:happy-very:

I'm against bull fighting for obvious reason but, for you, I will explain. Let me thrust sharp barbed "spears" into your back every time you react to a visual stimuli (red cape) until you bleed to death.

Also good to know. Don't believe it addresses the original point you responded to.

I'm against bull riding for obvious reasons but, once again, for you I will explain. Let me tie a rope around your groin area real tight and see if you don't buck.

Excellent good to know. If I ever need an advocate against bull riding I'll be sure and look you up.

In nature, as you suggest, I'm sure there are animals that become disabled and are devoured by predators but at least they didn't live the life that the racehorse, greyhound, bull and other "entertainment animals" lived prior to their demise.

Nor did they lead the pampered life that this horse did prior to her unfortunatate demise. Proceed.

I am in favor of the "running of the bulls" in Spain. I delight every time one of the ignorant asses gets run over or gored by the bull. Vengence can be sweet.

Interesting. I hope you don't take your enjoyment sexually.

While we are here help me understand something........
There was a guy that owned a racehorse.
One morning, over breakfast, he just up and decided that he would name his horse "Big Brown" IN HONOR of UPS.
How many of us do you think are stupid enough to believe there wasn't an incentive like money slid under the table.?

Ignorance sweet sweet ignorance. So you're saying everyone knew this horse would be undefeated going into the derby when the owner bought it and named it last year or the year before? Okie dokie. trick you got me interested now. Its a stretch there buddy but go ahead and try to make your case.

Dutch Dawg

.....is overshadowed only by the fact that an animal lost its life feeding the greed of mankind.
It is the nature of the horse to be free,to run, to roam. Man has figured out a way to capitalize on the truly free spirit of the horse.....I hope all that bet and won on todays horse race slowly suffocate on their greed. Go ahead and negative rep me....I don't care.

Trick, you seem to have a pretty head strong opinion on this topic. I was ready to ask if you've ever had a horses, but caught myself; believeing that someone of your mind would never allow themselves to place any animal in such a degrading position.

So what do you use as a reference as to what's best for an animal that you've probably never owned, ridden, or cared for?

While bears have not been mentioned in this thread, would it be fair of me to say you probably support the concept of a bear eating a man, but not of a man eating a bear?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My only problem with bullfighting and bull riding is that the odds arent fair.
Bullfighting would be a lot more entertaining if they took away the matadors cape. The bull should also have straight razors attached to its horns. There also neds to be a time limit...if the matador fails to kill the bull within 10 minutes, then a second bull gets released into the arena to help the first one out.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The ivory towers could come up with a new direction for their commercials. Loose the dude drawing on the white board and incorporate the horse into the ads.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a pic of the horse on our feeder trailers??
no horses on feeders please:sad-very:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I never made it to the OTB and am a little upset that I didn't. Ihad BB to win and EB with the Exacta. I was planning on $10 on the win and $5 ($10) on the exacta. It would have paid out about $450 for me. Damnit.

trickpony1

While bears have not been mentioned in this thread, would it be fair of me to say you probably support the concept of a bear eating a man, but not of a man eating a bear?

I didn't know there was a big market for bear meat.
I would be in favor of giving the bears the same high-powered hunting rifles the hunters use. It would even the playing field, don't you think?

tieguy

Banned
I didn't know there was a big market for bear meat.
I would be in favor of giving the bears the same high-powered hunting rifles the hunters use. It would even the playing field, don't you think?

Trick i take it you're a strict vegetarian? How do you feel about the concept that plants may actually feel pain?