Blackface or NOT

Have you worn Blackface or associated with someone who did?

• Total voters

rod

Retired 22 years
Blackface and other stuff is a part of our history.....Al Jolson, Amos & Andy even Ted Danson. It's all history, we mostly know better now.
Get over it people. Some of us did assinine stuff and have matured since.

We probably all shoplifted from the candy store too......I had to return an item and apologize to the store owner...that was humiliating!! I never forgot it. I don't need to turn myself in to the police now because of something that happened 60 years ago!!

Move on!!

Reminds me of my shoplifting story. When I was 12 I stole 3 fishing lures from a sporting goods store. Got caught. I had put them in my coat pocket and couldn't get them out for the cops. They were stuck in the fabric. So they cut them out with a knife ---I had stole that too. Mom and Dad were real proud of me. The next day Dad walked me into the sports store and made me apologize. I had to go to juvenile court and everything. My career as a thief was short lived.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Reminds me of my shoplifting story. When I was 12 I stole 3 fishing lures from a sporting goods store. Got caught. I had put them in my coat pocket and couldn't get them out for the cops. They were stuck in the fabric. So they cut them out with a knife ---I had stole that too. Mom and Dad were real proud of me. The next day Dad walked me into the sports store and made me apologize. I had to go to juvenile court and everything. My career as a thief was short lived.
Some say you stole time over the years.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I was not aware that American blackface originated in the 1830's when plantation owners would have 'plays' at their house for guests. These plays demeaned Black slaves.
I thought it started in vaudeville acts in the early 20th century.

On further research ...
There is no consensus about a single moment that constitutes the origin of blackface.
The journalist and cultural commentator John Strausbaugh places it as part of a tradition
of "displaying Blackness for the enjoyment and edification of white viewers" that dates back at least to 1441, when captive West Africans were displayed in Portugal.
White people routinely portrayed the black characters in the Elizabethan and Jacobean theater (see English Renaissance theatre), most famously in Othello (1604).
However, Othello and other plays of this era did not involve the emulation and
caricature of "such supposed innate qualities of Blackness as inherent musicality, natural athleticism", etc.
that Strausbaugh sees as crucial to blackface.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
He keeps showing up, like some slightly bemused and maniacal house guest, usually intending to get a laugh but instead taking America back into a wicked time warp.

The photo of him starts to ricochet around our race-haunted land. The outcry begins anew.

I'm ashamed and regretful that I ever partook in this type of racism. I was young and had not not looked towards the future when I did this. On two separate occasions, I donned green face for which I am very sorry. At the time, I did not intend to hurt the people I love or be a racist towards the greens.

Incredible Hulk and Jolly Green Giant, I apologize to you both along with your families and am very sorry to have donned the green face in the first place. Please know that I have not and do not, plan to don the green face since these two occurrences when I was a child trying to hae a great Halloween.

MAKAVELI

I'm ashamed and regretful that I ever partook in this type of racism. I was young and had not not looked towards the future when I did this. On two separate occasions, I donned green face for which I am very sorry. At the time, I did not intend to hurt the people I love or be a racist towards the greens.

Incredible Hulk and Jolly Green Giant, I apologize to you both along with your families and am very sorry to have donned the green face in the first place. Please know that I have not and do not, plan to don the green face since these two occurrences when I was a child trying to hae a great Halloween.
Do yourself a favor and do some research the history of blackface, which dates back hundreds of years and get back to me.

El Correcto

god is dead
Do yourself a favor and do some research the history of blackface, which dates back hundreds of years and get back to me.
upload_2019-2-10_16-38-52.jpeg

I wear black face two or three times a week.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm not some closed minded cracker if that's what you are thinking. I have read, and I do understand the disparity between the races and how it it is demoralizing to wear the blackface. Don't :censored2: quote me like I'm some some kind of hillbilly racist.

rod

Retired 22 years
Is it ok it wear blackface up here in the northland where we don't have any darkys? (I think the word darky was ok' ed for use on BC a few days ago.) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I'm not some closed minded cracker if that's what you are thinking. I have read, and I do understand the disparity between the races and how it it is demoralizing to wear the blackface. Don't :censored2: quote me like I'm some some kind of hillbilly racist.
Hey Billy Bob,
You go coon hunting today?

MAKAVELI

Then don't make it a joke like some hillbilly racist. It has been and always will be racist.