Boots

wisconsinbrown

I just got a full time driving job. I am in the need for a new pair of GOOD boots. I live in the midwest so I need something that can get wet and also that will last. Any thoughts from the guys that have been doing this for years?

ups79

I just got a full time driving job. I am in the need for a new pair of GOOD boots. I live in the midwest so I need something that can get wet and also that will last. Any thoughts from the guys that have been doing this for years?

Everytime they get wet dry them out over night on the furnance register. Be prepared to buy a new pair every 9 months, no matter what you buy.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I agree, you ned new shoes or boots AT LEAST twice a year. With all the walking you have to keep your feet happy and the inside wears out and becomes non-supporting faster than the outside wears out.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I use ECCO Track with gortex.
The soles wear out before the uppers. These cost about $200. But they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. And I get a couple of years out of them.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
get two pairs and rotate them so both are broken in. on bad days take second pair with you and another pair of socks too !!!

U

Ups Man

I have driven package car for 20 years and have used knapp shoes. they have excellent ankle support, excellent support for the foot in general and their shock absorption keeps your body from wearing down. its like walking on air. they feel very light to ware as well, no trouble to run in them if you want. I have never had any knee, leg , or back pain with them. the only problem you may have is if you are not use to waring leather shoes, you will or may have a break in period with the new shoes, where your toes can get sore and maybe even blister for a couple of weeks, you may have to switch off with another kind of shoe until you break them in. but once they are broken in they will be the most comfortable shoe you have ever had. I don`t have a problem with sore toes when I get a new pair of shoes anymore but I do remember for the first few years I did have to go through a break in period but for me it was worth it for the protection against injury and prevention of my knees, legs and back from getting banged up and worn out from all that shock. these shoes are also made in the USA ( not cheap china stuff) here is a link to the specific shoe I ware.

http://www.knappstore.com/DisplayStyleNumber.asp?Style_ID=2565

they will last a long time while maintaining their shock absorption ability as well. tennis shoe
style shoes lose their shock absorption properties after maybe 2 months but not the knapp shoes, these will keep you protected. they are actually more of a boot then shoe.

Mike Hawk

I got tired of sore feet from $15 big 5 boots so I got some nice redwing boots, pain in the ass(foot) to break in but well worth it, I can work 12 hours of preload+helper and not be sore, well my feet won’t be sore anyways. I also use 2 pairs of socks, an inner thin layer that sticks to my feet and an outer thick wool layer that provides cushion. This way the 2 socks rub in the boot rather than my foot rubbing the sock creating blisters. If I do work 2 shifts I change to dry ones between. Lastly make sure you have good insoles, I got some gel ones that work great.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
Red Wing style 607 I get a year out of the soles. the uppers are still ok after a year but the sole and insole are shot by then, much better than the cheapies I used to buy that lasted 3 or 4 months, I actually spend less this way.

outamyway

Does your center manager actually care if you wear boots or not?

I wear them, but many of our full time drivers don't. A lot of them where black sneakers. We actually had a surprise inspection one day. He made a lot of them polish their sneakers but didn't mention at all they didn't have boots.

farmerbrown

For winter I use Goretex Danner's with the lowest amount of Thinsulate. Your feet will sweat but they will keep warm as long as you are moving (which is all day in our job). Be CERTAIN to get a boot dryer from Cabela's and dry them out at night. I get a season out of the soles and then send them to Danner to resole and recondition every year or so for $50.00. If you are in snow country like I am, considergetting some black or brown Goretex Gaiters. I have a lot of unplowed driveways and this keeps me warm and dry. I have heard some sup's say that you don't need boots but that is pure rubbish. Bottom line is that you have got to take care of your feet, so do not be afraid to spend some serious dough.

For Summer I like Magnum boots with the six inch ankle support. One season for $49.95 is a great deal and I am comfortable.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They've been trying to crack down on us wearing sneakers. That lasted about 1 day.

My brother is a state cop and recommended some of them to me.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Didn't we just discuss this same topic a few weeks ago? Anyway I had said I have been wearing Rockport wweather resistant shoes and boots for about 20 years.Mike Hawk is right in saying don't be cheap.My 1st 2 years I wore cheap shoes and boy did my feet pay the price.Switched to the Rockports and my feet have ben happy ever since.Whichever brand you pick try to make sure they are light weight.

pkg-king

Best boot I've had in 20 plus years of driving. My back hasn't hurt since I've been wearing them for about 5 months...knock on wood!

rod

Retired 22 years
After about 12 years of wearing out expensive boots that half the time proved to be neither water proof nor warm in the winter I switched to wearing only a good quality light weight tennis shoe. I carried a pair of insulated overshoes to slip over them if it snowed or rained too much. Worked great for me for many years. I'm sure boots have come along way in the last 20 years but then again so have tennis shoes. Spray a coat of Camp Dry on them and they are just as weather proof as a $200.00 pair of Red Wings