Boycott !!..Drivers let's show our strength !!

over9five

Staff member
I would think it would be nearly impossible to enforce unless you are using it while you are driving or delivering, the first being illegal in most states and the second being unprofessional in all 50.

+10 on the unprofessional-ness of using a cell while driving OR delivering!

We are not prohibited from using cells. My center manager asks us to wait til we're parked. What's wrong with that????

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
we have a winner. in my building drivers have been disciplined for using the cell phone while not on personal time. and those drivers were talking to the center or a customer but center manager said it does not matter ups has a no cell phone policy in which you can not use your cell phone unless you are on break.

If your phone bill showed that the you were in fact calling UPS at the time in question, any attempt at disciplinary action would get laughed out of the room at a panel hearing.

iowa boy

+10 on the unprofessional-ness of using a cell while driving OR delivering!

We are not prohibited from using cells. My center manager asks us to wait til we're parked. What's wrong with that????

Our center manager and on-cars call drivers while they are out delivering. Where does this fall in the realm of unprofessionalism? And don't get me started about the texting that goes on. Although Iowa enacted a law, without any teeth for the first year, that says you can't send, receive, or read texts or email while driving, but still no limit on adults in regards to talking on the phone and driving.

Drivers here are not disciplined for using their cell phones in the course of their duties.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager and on-cars call drivers while they are out delivering. Where does this fall in the realm of unprofessionalism? And don't get me started about the texting that goes on. Although Iowa enacted a law, without any teeth for the first year, that says you can't send, receive, or read texts or email while driving, but still no limit on adults in regards to talking on the phone and driving.

Drivers here are not disciplined for using their cell phones in the course of their duties.

The non-professionalism that I am talking about is the driver who actually has the cell phone in his hand while making a delivery. If I were a customer, residential or commercial, and the UPS driver made a delivery to me while talking on his cell phone, I would question his understanding of the term customer service. That would be almost as bad as if he had a cigarette in his mouth while handing me the package.

This is a true story. I was delivering in a residential section back when RPS was still in business. One of their drivers was making a residential delivery with an ice cream cone in his hand.

I use my cell phone at work but would never use it while driving or while interacting with a customer. It stays clipped to my drink holder in the cab of the PC.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Using your cell phone is not part of UPS' methods. UPS tries to fire drivers who waiver from these methods. If UPS wanted us to phone customers then they would issue phones to us. Using a phone to call customers will eventually lead to misunderstandings. Most drivers are here to make a living and keep their hides out of hot water. Corner cutting like phone use and not taking lunch at the contractual time only exposes you to discipline, and hurts you in your wallet. You may be proud of yourself but your productivity at UPS is artificial because it is not based on doing the job as UPS says you are to do it.
I just told him this in another thread. I wonder if your post will be rebuffed, as well.

Some1else don't get mad. The driver is asking us not to call him on his cell, I respect that. I am just informing him what the consequences will be of his "do not call me on my cell phone policy". Any personal phone calls you receive at the center are not required to be sent to you immediately, I can just write you a note and stick in your log,you can get the message when you get back.
And this is just as it should be done. I like a day that is uniterupted.

I hate hearing drivers complain that UPS calls them too much. How did they get your number??? You gave it to them, right?

Man up. Walk into the office Monday and tell them to stop calling you on your cell. Geez, you have caller ID. DON'T ANSWER THEM!

And, cuz I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy...

Dragon, when I signed up for my company (not manager) provided discount, it did not say I was required to use it for business.
+1

Rest of post is sensible but "cell phone usage" not being in the methods is rather weak.
Last time I read them, "talking to your supervisor" was not in the methods either.
Please try again.
You don't think that using a cellphone cuts time out of your planned day, thus throwing the numbers out of whack?

The one thing that does upset me is when the OMS gives out my personal cell phone number to a customer without asking for my permission first. The boys from the Army reserve center needed their pkgs early so they went to the center and she gave them my cell number. They then called me and we arranged a meet. I would have had no problem doing this anyway but I did tell her in no uncertain terms that she was never to do so without asking my permission first as there are certain customers who I would not do this for nor do I want them knowing my personal cell phone number.

I have a customer who asked me to give her my cover driver's cell phone number for when I go on vacation. I told her I did not feel comfortable doing that and that she should ask him for it when he is on the route. I have a good working relationship with this lady but I would not give out anyone's cell phone number without asking them first and would hope that they would show me the same courtesy.

Over is right--the 22% discount we have with Verizon is a company discount. To be fair, Dragon made some very good points in his post.
One thing upsets you? I'm thinking it's way more than one thing.

Oh, and so much for customer service. I guess you have to be a "favorite" customer, in order to get the "service" that you speak so much about.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've got a blue tooth headset and I jabber on that thing all day long. My wife, other drivers, customers, various supervisors...it's like a damn party line :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just told him this in another thread. I wonder if your post will be rebuffed, as well.

And this is just as it should be done. I like a day that is uniterupted.

+1

You don't think that using a cellphone cuts time out of your planned day, thus throwing the numbers out of whack?

One thing upsets you? I'm thinking it's way more than one thing.

Oh, and so much for customer service. I guess you have to be a "favorite" customer, in order to get the "service" that you speak so much about.

Steve, you know as well as I that there are those customers who would you do whatevever they ask you to do and then there are those that you do only what you have to.

A cell phone is simply another tool available to the driver to use if he/she so chooses. You choose not to use it. That is most certainly your choice. I choose to use mine. It sounds like Jones lives on his, which is also his choice. A cell phone most certainly takes time out of your planned day. The one thing that I will not do is use my cell phone as a substitute for service. We have a driver in my center who likes to call his pickups--I'm sorry, these folks pay upwards of $20/week for me to walk in their door every day, not to chat with me on the phone. ( I also do not believe in the sign system and had to convert a couple of pickups when I took over my current route.)

Your concern for my finances is commendable but not necessary. I am doing just fine. I get all the OT that I want (2 hours per week) and am home in time to enjoy what is left of the evening.

What else you got?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've got a blue tooth headset and I jabber on that thing all day long. My wife, other drivers, customers, various supervisors...it's like a damn party line :happy-very:
LOL! I was wondering what you people that gabbed all day were actually doing. That's totally not for me, I likes my quiet time.

Steve, you know as well as I that there are those customers who would you do whatevever they ask you to do and then there are those that you do only what you have to.

A cell phone is simply another tool available to the driver to use if he/she so chooses. You choose not to use it. That is most certainly your choice. I choose to use mine. It sounds like Jones lives on his, which is also his choice. A cell phone most certainly takes time out of your planned day. The one thing that I will not do is use my cell phone as a substitute for service. We have a driver in my center who likes to call his pickups--I'm sorry, these folks pay upwards of $20/week for me to walk in their door every day, not to chat with me on the phone. ( I also do not believe in the sign system and had to convert a couple of pickups when I took over my current route.)

Your concern for my finances is commendable but not necessary. I am doing just fine. I get all the OT that I want (2 hours per week) and am home in time to enjoy what is left of the evening.

What else you got?
It's funny to watch you post in haste. When you're rattled you leave a trail of typo's. I'm glad you fessed up to this "A cell phone most certainly takes time out of your planned day. "

Nothing further..................................today.:wink2:

That's exactly what I do also but also we get three or four up to nine on a line we call it a conference call. We have been doing it for years it really makes the time go by and we also know all the gossip and if a supervisor is in the area snooping.

Ghost in the Darkness

Why don't you just use the phone when (if) you want., otherwise ignore it. Thats what I do, occasionally I will but mostly I won't. Besides I prefer texting to talking and the diad is just as good as a phone for that (just no punctuation keys).

upssup

DOT requirements are that you cannot use a cell phone while you are driving a commercial vehicle. As far as I know this is a nationwide mandate. If you are parked you can use it as much, or as little as you like.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
DOT requirements are that you cannot use a cell phone while you are driving a commercial vehicle. As far as I know this is a nationwide mandate. If you are parked you can use it as much, or as little as you like.

I'd be interested in seeing that link, if you could provide it. I believe the DOT says commercial drivers can not text while they drive.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You can if you are parked with vehicle off and keys removed from the ignition. (Georgia definition)
That means you can not do it while sitting at a red-light ... if you do, then you will be donating to the effort to save some government employees job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think what you meant to say was:

The U.S. Department of Transportation recently banned texting while driving for commercial drivers of large trucks and buses.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think what you meant to say was:

The U.S. Department of Transportation recently banned texting while driving for commercial drivers [-]of large trucks and buses[/-].
This is what they said, and I think they may be right. We are ALL, commercial driver's. What difference does the size of the vehicle matter?

Oh, and as far as calling C.O.D.'s is concerned. I frequently get an add/cut for a tint shop that gets many M.O./Cashiers Check C.O.D.'s. He expects me to tell him the amount and then he'll run across the street for the M.O. while I make a few deliveries, and then he wants me to stop as I pass him on the way back. I did this once, and then told him my boss wouldn't approve and that if he didn't have the funds at the time of delivery, I would return the next day. For the next few times he had the funds ready. Then I didn't get that area for awhile and when I started getting it again, he tried the old, "I'll be right back". I told him, "okay", and he received his pkg the next day. Sounds cruel and unusual, but I guarantee you that my supe would have been WAY upset, had I kept going back for the funds.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'd be interested in seeing that link, if you could provide it. I believe the DOT says commercial drivers can not text while they drive.

DOT 14-10
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Tel: 202-366-4570
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Announces Federal Ban on Texting for Commercial Truck Drivers

U.S Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today announced federal guidance to expressly prohibit texting by drivers of commercial vehicles such as large trucks and buses. The prohibition is effective immediately and is the latest in a series of actions taken by the Department to combat distracted driving since the Secretary convened a national summit on the issue last September.
“We want the drivers of big rigs and buses and those who share the roads with them to be safe,” said Secretary LaHood. “This is an important safety step and we will be taking more to eliminate the threat of distracted driving.”

The action is the result of the Department’s interpretation of standing rules. Truck and bus drivers who text while driving commercial vehicles may be subject to civil or criminal penalties of up to $2,750.

over9five

Staff member
I actually wanted upssup to provide evidence that truckers could not use a cell phone while driving, as he posted.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
This is what they said, and I think they may be right. We are ALL, commercial driver's. What difference does the size of the vehicle matter?

Oh, and as far as calling C.O.D.'s is concerned. I frequently get an add/cut for a tint shop that gets many M.O./Cashiers Check C.O.D.'s. He expects me to tell him the amount and then he'll run across the street for the M.O. while I make a few deliveries, and then he wants me to stop as I pass him on the way back. I did this once, and then told him my boss wouldn't approve and that if he didn't have the funds at the time of delivery, I would return the next day. For the next few times he had the funds ready. Then I didn't get that area for awhile and when I started getting it again, he tried the old, "I'll be right back". I told him, "okay", and he received his pkg the next day. Sounds cruel and unusual, but I guarantee you that my supe would have been WAY upset, had I kept going back for the funds.

Big trucks take longer to stop and they do more damage when the run into or over stuff. The rule applies to vehicles that require a commercial drivers license. 26001 pounds gross vehicle weight or more.