Broke leg on "unsanctioned" training route - what now?

WyoBrown

Still plowing thru probation period and last night during a spring snowstorm, I slipped on a drive way and broke my leg on a delivery. Monday, I was pulled off my training route, told to run another route in another city (blind) and.. *hit happened a few days later. Anyone know what I can expect now in re: to qualifying? Corporate was in town and came to hospital. Assured me all is well...just get healed, offered me TAW until I can get back in the car and drive. Anyone been in the same situation? I would like to know what to expect if possible. Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think that your first concern is getting your leg healed. Accidents happen. Do the TAW after you are released from the hospital and cleared for light duty. Use this down time to learn all that you can about the training route so that you can hit the ground running (hopefully the snow will be melted by then) when you are cleared to come back to work full time. Ask your center team to print the delivery records for that route for your review. Find out where the driver covering that area takes his lunch and offer to meet him/her there so that you can pick his/her brain. Use this time to your benefit.

Last edited:

rocket man

take upstates advise get better even while i learned my route i took my car i ran that area all ways it helped good luck get better .

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
BOY IT SURE DOES. i STARTED DELIVERING IN TOWNS i HAD NEVER BEEN IN, IN MY LIFE.

I didnt even know addys were even on one side and odd on the other, it was great fun................

brown67

Wait, how many training routes have you been on? When you are qualifying they can't move you to another route. They did this to me when I qualified and I raised a stink. Found out that if they take you off your training route to cover another route then you automatically are qualified.

WyoBrown

This is another route all together from my training route...and...in a different town. That driver retired and they needed coverage for her route and sent me out on it...as I said...blind. I knew my training route really well as I was the preloader for that route and an air driver for a year. I was running 22 stops per hour so I think my center manager thought I could handle it. I struggled all week but did it...however, my number plummeted of course and we know that the probation period is all about the numbers! Just want a fair shot here, ya know? They can screw with me AFTER Im a driver...and protected by the union. Right now, Im kinda at the mercy of company...or so it feels.

This is another route all together from my training route...and...in a different town. That driver retired and they needed coverage for her route and sent me out on it...as I said...blind. I knew my training route really well as I was the preloader for that route and an air driver for a year. I was running 22 stops per hour so I think my center manager thought I could handle it. I struggled all week but did it...however, my number plummeted of course and we know that the probation period is all about the numbers! Just want a fair shot here, ya know? They can screw with me AFTER Im a driver...and protected by the union. Right now, Im kinda at the mercy of company...or so it feels.
You drove air for a year and worked in preload? You are already protected by the union, get with your BA about your being moved to other routes during training, there may be something to this automatically qualified if they move you. If you are working TWA there is no need to get a withdrawal card to stop union dues, but if for some reason the Doc doesn't allow you to work TWA get the card. If not, when you come back you will have to pay back union dues to stay in good standing with the union.

brown67

You're qualified since they moved you. They have to leave you on the same training route during your full qualifying period. Do you drive in Wyoming? If you do then you are in local 17 like me? If so call down to the local and ask to talk to the business agents. Most stewards don't know the ins and outs of qualifying, but the business agents at 17 will.

Management could sink any new driver they wanted by just moving him around to different training routes all the time. Thats why you get 30 days to qualify on one route.

Here's a link to Local 17 web site. Has the phone number on it. They changed the areas of the Business agents, so I'm not sure which one covers Wyoming. Just call down, they are very helpful.

http://www.teamsterslocal17.org/

brown67

You're not at the mercy of the company. I assume you were part of the union when you were part-time. That doesn't go away. Do you pay union dues?

over9five

Staff member
You're qualified since they moved you. They have to leave you on the same training route during your full qualifying period.

I think you are mistaken. Can you show us where it says that in the contract? I'm sure they'd like to keep you on one route to qualify, but I don't think they have to.

WyoBrown

Yes, been a member of the union since reaching seniority at PT. Our BA was on vacation last week and I have his number for a phone call on Mon. I was told by our center manager's boss who just happen to be in the center this week while center manager is vacationing, that after I get back to driving after cast is off, I will be back on the original training route. I am certain this mgmt from CO has seen the screw up, hes actually been great and offered the light duty, 8 hr guarantee at driver wage.

brown67

I don't think its in the contract. I don't have to show you because, I had it happen to me, and we are in the same local. I believe this a local agreement. I was pulled off my training route after 3 weeks to go cover another route. I was mad, because I was afraid I wouldn't make numbers. Talked to union steward and management and both told me that once they pull you off your training route then you are qualified. I think they may still be able to wash you out if you have an accident, but not for numbers. He needs to talk with a business agent to get full details.

brown67

It sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. Talk to the BA about the change in route and how that affects your qualifying. Also, does the injury have any affect. I think your safe from being disqualified for numbers, but not sure about the injury or if you had an accident.

WyoBrown

The irony is, had I been on training route I would have been done and back in the center before the storm blew in. So, how long did they wait to tell you that you were qualified by default after your grievance was filed?

WyoBrown

You're qualified since they moved you. They have to leave you on the same training route during your full qualifying period. Do you drive in Wyoming? If you do then you are in local 17 like me? If so call down to the local and ask to talk to the business agents. Most stewards don't know the ins and outs of qualifying, but the business agents at 17 will.

Management could sink any new driver they wanted by just moving him around to different training routes all the time. Thats why you get 30 days to qualify on one route.

Here's a link to Local 17 web site. Has the phone number on it. They changed the areas of the Business agents, so I'm not sure which one covers Wyoming. Just call down, they are very helpful.

http://www.teamsterslocal17.org/
By the way, thanks for the website.

brown67

Didn't have to file a grievance. Told me the same day they moved me. I didn't want to run the other route and sup told me to settle down, because I would be qualified automatically once they moved me off the training route. Then went to our steward ( great one who knew what was going on) and he confirmed what the supp told me. Never take a sups. word for anything. After that third week I became a swing driving and started doing different routes. Never was a problem. I was like you and was doing very well on my training route. I think they just decided I was fine and started using me as swing driver.

I didn't pick up on this until now, but you weren't on a training route either? Let BA know that too. Sounds like you were being treated like a swing driver to me.

WyoBrown

Brown, you have been so helpful, thanks. You're right, this was not a training route that the center manager put me on but, one of the union stewards told me that they CAN put me on another route because I didnt make the first probation period. She said that the new driver trainee just out of school took precedence now (which an on car from CO told me was total crap, I have seniority). So in the middle of my 2nd probation period they pulled me off the training route and gave it to the new guy. Get this too, the route they put me on was assigned a new preloader...the loads were all over the place. I will definitely be calling the BA tomorrow.