Bumping inside for drivers?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So basically if the only work is a coverage bid you cant complain about not getting to work if you don't bid on it and the work can even be taken by a junior employee while you sit at home if you didn't sign the coverage sheet. Did I understand that correctly?

You need to talk with your Steward or BA.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I also have a question (central states as well). Yesterday I didn’t get a call to come in (I’m a utility driver still). However a less senior driver (also utility) was called in to run a route.

Talk to your Steward. They owe you a days pay.

Now he is on the bid coverage sheet and I am not.

Just means that he has his choice of the open routes for the day over you.

So does seniority no longer apply and they can work him before me due to him being on the bid coverage sheet?

They cannot work him over you. He just gets to pick before you.

So basically if the only work is a coverage bid you cant complain about not getting to work if you don't bid on it and the work can even be taken by a junior employee while you sit at home if you didn't sign the coverage sheet. Did I understand that correctly?

Nope. You work before he does. If they do not work you and they work him, file a grievance.

So I filed anyways. However my stewards and my union rep all say that he can work before me. I don’t believe that but either way I still filed. I still think seniority trumps the bid coverage list. Sure they can give him the route but they still have to call me in and find me something. But whatever. We’ll see. Stewards are both new and it’s a learning experience. Our other stewards up and retired with little warning.

Up In Smoke

It's a learning lesson for all junior drivers. In a nutshell, you are either scheduled or laid off, there is no third direction. Before you leave on your last scheduled day of work, the next weeks schedule must be posted. If your name and start time(s) are listed, you are required to be at work for those shifts. If your name is not present, you are laid off and should make your wishes known before going home. The company would like to think there is a "on call" list, but that just doesn't exist. If you are scheduled and the company attempts to call you off, ignore the call, show up to work, ask to be placed to work and if no work is available, go home and file for the appropriate guarantee. It takes our building about 5 paid grievances before they take responsibility for the schedule. Happens every spring and fall when vacations dip.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
However my stewards and my union rep all say that he can work before me.

This is like saying that a 30 year non bid package car driver will be laid off before a one-year bid package car driver just because he holds a bid.

I should have asked you this before, but what is a utility driver? The central region does not have utility drivers.

Are you a package driver that does not have a bid, and is laid off for lack of work?

PT Car Washer

Some places call them swing drivers. We call them miscellaneous.

They don't hold a bid, and work as directed.
We call them bid coverage drivers and non bid coverage drivers. Bid coverage picks which route they want to run by the day or week. Non bid are assigned based on area knowledge and or how friendly they are with management. Some bid coverage drivers will stay in that position long past opportunities to bid a permanent route.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We call them bid coverage drivers and non bid coverage drivers. Bid coverage picks which route they want to run by the day or week. Non bid are assigned based on area knowledge and or how friendly they are with management. Some bid coverage drivers will stay in that position long past opportunities to bid a permanent route.

Yep.

I think it's just more of a "local" terminology thing.

Here, yard shifters in freight call their vehicle a yard-horse.... where as,

at UPS they are called a yard-bird. Basically the same thing by a different name.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Some places call them swing drivers. We call them miscellaneous.

They don't hold a bid, and work as directed.

I get the different terminology. That's why I asked him if his Local had some other sort of arrangement with the Company. But bottom line, just because someone with less seniority holds a bid, whether it be a coverage bid or route bid, does not afford him the right to work before a higher seniority non-bid driver, whatever he is called. (swing, utility, non-bid). It only gives him the right to run his bid, or in the case of a coverage bid, to choose which route he wants, and then the non-bid driver runs the route he is assigned to or the route that is left open.

The same here, but again, seniority prevails if there is not enough work available. The least senior driver is laid off, whether he holds a bid or not.

Yep.

I think it's just more of a "local" terminology thing.

Here, yard shifters in freight call their vehicle a yard-horse.... where as,

at UPS they are called a yard-bird. Basically the same thing by a different name.

I get it, but seniority still prevails for layoffs, regardless of who may hold a bid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know anywhere in the Central....

An un-assigned, non-bid driver, could bump a junior bid driver on a daily basis.

Going into gray areas, huh. We're not talking daily fluctuations, and yes, I should have prefaced that there are always exceptionds

If this higher senior driver was scheduled for the week, then he does not need to bump a junior driver off his route. They will need to find him work, or send him home and pay him 6 hours.

If layoffs came the Friday before, yes, the junior driver gets laid off while the senior driver works. If they are both laid off, and there is a need for a driver, they work the higher senior driver, even though the lower, laid off driver holds a bid.

As was the case here that I referenced. Chris said that neither driver was scheduled, yet they called in the lower senior driver and did not call him in. That is a violation of the Central Region Seniority, Article 3.

our center never changes the schedule everyones on the schedule they just text you and say "on call" and we have a ton of extra routes that get a different route id on day 29 lol

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As was the case here that I referenced. Chris said that neither driver was scheduled, yet they called in the lower senior driver and did not call him in. That is a violation of the Central Region Seniority, Article 3.

Maybe, that's what I'm misunderstanding.

If the junior driver signed the bid coverage sheet.... why would he be on-call

and not have a posted start time ? We don have "on-call" pkg drivers....

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe, that's what I'm misunderstanding.

If the junior driver signed the bid coverage sheet.... why would he be on-call

and not have a posted start time ? We don have "on-call" pkg drivers....

That's where the disconnect is in this thread. He actually didn't say that they were both on call or laid off. I assumed that they both were because neither of them seemed to have a start time. I based my response off him saying that the lower senior guy was "called in" and he wasn't. You know how Buster likes to list drivers as "on call" for their scheduled start times. You and I both know that this means they are laid off.