Business Development Changes

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
While the operators are riding with you, they are probably squirming because while they are out helping you to make your bonus and numbers, they have been taken out of the center and their immediate responsibilities of running the center.
I believe the turnover is high in bd because people are hired off the street and put in those jobs that have no clue what ups does, they come out of college with a degree and think they are owed a living. My opinion.

what the hell are you talking about? . Do you really think operators are resenting me because I make 30% of my salary in SIP? Have you SEEN the news about the economy the last few years? yeah, we havent made :censored2:.

You really can't be as selfish as your last two posts.

Do you think they maybe want to help secure new business so they get a bigger MIP bonus every year? Or maybe want to pick up more new business to help their numbers? You really think they are squirming becasue they think I shouldnt be making SIP? Look buddy, if UPS gave me a competative salary that was comparable to the "target pay" number I try to obtain every year, I would take it in a heartbeat. I think SIP is one of the biggest problems with salespeople. it creates selfish people who won't do a task becasue "it's not my job and I dont get paid for it"

I agree with your opinion that people who come to UPS off the street think this is a sales only position, and that is not the case. this is not an easy company to work for and that is why I feel like I earn every dime I make from UPS.

upsgrunt

what the hell are you talking about? . Do you really think operators are resenting me because I make 30% of my salary in SIP? Have you SEEN the news about the economy the last few years? yeah, we havent made :censored2:.

You really can't be as selfish as your last two posts.

Do you think they maybe want to help secure new business so they get a bigger MIP bonus every year? Or maybe want to pick up more new business to help their numbers? You really think they are squirming becasue they think I shouldnt be making SIP? Look buddy, if UPS gave me a competative salary that was comparable to the "target pay" number I try to obtain every year, I would take it in a heartbeat. I think SIP is one of the biggest problems with salespeople. it creates selfish people who won't do a task becasue "it's not my job and I dont get paid for it"

I agree with your opinion that people who come to UPS off the street think this is a sales only position, and that is not the case. this is not an easy company to work for and that is why I feel like I earn every dime I make from UPS.

Hey- this ain't no charity for BD.
Why is it you EARN every dime you make, but the drivers are overpaid and a burden on you securing more business?

worldwide

Let me think, all operators have to go out and make monthly visits to retain customers and generate more volume, they had to initiate a company wide sales lead program offering gifts to the hourly people to generate sales leads because the " account executives weren't cutting it." when an hourly or operator generate sales leads that produce volume and revenue, it's the account executive that reaps that in their bonus and productivity yet they did nothing to earn it.
We all have a vested interest in bettering the company but let the facts be known.

Opearations created the company wide sales lead program? That's rich. You really beleive that the Account Mannagers make all their "bonus" from the few sales leads that are submitted that actually qualify to be assigned to an Account Manager? You really don't get it, do you?

Again, as an operator, would you be OK with having your base pay reduced (and now MIP reduced)? In exchange you have the ability to make even more as long as all packages leave the building, NDA's are delivered on time, there are no missed pickups and customers don't churn. It's all risk and reward--you do everything right and you pay goes up---you don't make your numbers and you do not get commmission. The Account Managers live this everyday and that is just the nature of sales. If packages don't get picked up or delivered on time for a customer, eventually they go to Fedex and the Account Manager's commission disappears. What are the ramifications to an operator if an account leaves? Is their pay at jeopardy? If the reason an account leaves is due to missed pickups, drop boxes not picked up or late deliveries, the Account Manager pays the price. Are operators willing to do the same? As you said, "We all have a vested interest in bettering the company but let the facts be known." How about it?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Hey- this ain't no charity for BD.
Why is it you EARN every dime you make, but the drivers are overpaid and a burden on you securing more business?

now this makes zero sense in the theme of this thread.

If you made less, I could sell more packages at a lower rate and make more money. is that what you want to hear?

softshoe

now this makes zero sense in the theme of this thread.

If you made less, I could sell more packages at a lower rate and make more money. is that what you want to hear?

If UPSSALESGUY made less, UPS could sell more pkgs at a lower rate and make more money.This is what we want to see.

upsgrunt

If we made less, then you could make more- that is very uncapitalistic of you to say that. You could always bid into package delivery, but I suppose you're way above that.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If everyone made less the company would make more.

That's the goal of the company - make more money. The purpose of a for profit business (opposed to a non-profit organization) is to make money for the owners. In our case, the owners are the share holders. It's not the intent to be in business to meet the needs or desires of the employees.

There is no business reason for this company (or any other for profit business) to pay any more than it takes to get the job done.

Everyone thinks they have the worst job and no one else can do it as well as they do. The sad reality is that nearly all of us can be replaced by someone else that is willing to work harder for less. The company knows it and they are beginning to act upon it by reducing compensation levels.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If everyone made less the company would make more.

That's the goal of the company - make more money. The purpose of a for profit business (opposed to a non-profit organization) is to make money for the owners. In our case, the owners are the share holders. It's not the intent to be in business to meet the needs or desires of the employees.

There is no business reason for this company (or any other for profit business) to pay any more than it takes to get the job done.

Everyone thinks they have the worst job and no one else can do it as well as they do. The sad reality is that nearly all of us can be replaced by someone else that is willing to work harder for less. The company knows it and they are beginning to act upon it by reducing compensation levels.

...or, as in the case of the drivers, introducing technology (PAS/EDD) and increasing production levels. I also would not be surprised if the company presented a two-tiered pay structure and production-related discipline during the 2013 contract negotiations.

hudson

Let me think, all operators have to go out and make monthly visits to retain customers and generate more volume, they had to initiate a company wide sales lead program offering gifts to the hourly people to generate sales leads because the " account executives weren't cutting it." when an hourly or operator generate sales leads that produce volume and revenue, it's the account executive that reaps that in their bonus and productivity yet they did nothing to earn it.
We all have a vested interest in bettering the company but let the facts be known.

The majority of the time customers divert due to operational issues that are out of the AE's control.

How exactly do operators generate volume by making a customer visit once a month?

Company wide sales lead program...AE's had nothing to do with it.

But when a customer diverts due to operational issues we reap nothing. Operators do not see it in their paycheck when a customer diverts due to operational issues.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The majority of the time customers divert due to operational issues that are out of the AE's control.

How exactly do operators generate volume by making a customer visit once a month?

Company wide sales lead program...AE's had nothing to do with it.

But when a customer diverts due to operational issues we reap nothing. Operators do not see it in their paycheck when a customer diverts due to operational issues.

Operations is not allowed to think about serving the customer.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
FYI - I heard from an ASM today that they are going back to 1 unit of MIP, but the other unit of MIP they lost would be rolled into their monthly salary. Kind of like the half month.