Called the cops on a customer yesterday....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Actually, it was the Department of Fish and Wildlife who then forwarded me to the State Police wildlife enforcement office. Some well-meaning but ignorant people had found a fawn, assumed it was abandoned, and put a collar on it with a bell and set it in to live with their goats and sheep in fenced pasture. Its adorable and I understand why they want to help the cute baby deer, but if it wanders off in search of its mommy (who will probably reject it anyway to the human scent on it) it will slowly strangle to death due to having no way of getting that collar off as it grows. Even without the collar, it is a wild animal and trying to make a pet out of it is illegal, cruel and dangerous. I saw it while making a delivery, so the customer will probably know it was me that reported them, but I dont care.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1435250159.786573.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a customer who had a black bear in his garage. Inner city house. Cops found out and busted him. He also had a crazy mean Doberman who literally chewed a hole through a chain link fence.

soberups

Makes me sicks what people do to animals
I think these people meant well and are guilty of ignorance not malice. They were trying to do the right thing by caring for an animal that appeared to be abandoned, they just did not understand what the long term consequences would be. There is a reason why it is illegal to feed or capture wild animals.

soberups

A few miles from my town there was a woman who was hand-feeding grapes and fruit to the black bears that live in the woods behind her home. She kept doing it despite warnings from the police, which caused even more bears to be drawn to the area and they began losing their fear of humans and eating garbage, pet food etc. One day, one of those bears walked up onto her neighbor's porch in search of food, stuck its head through a dog door, and proceeded to tear through the door and into the kitchen of a woman who was cooking breakfast. Her screams caused the bear to panic and it wound up going on a rampage in the kitchen with part of the door still stuck around its head. Her husband wound up having to shoot it in their living room. Wild animals are supposed to be afraid of people and there is a reason why its illegal to feed them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
im sure after the authorities explained to these people what they did wrong they understood. ignorant is not bad if there is no malice.

I set out traps for raccoons because iwas afraid of the rabies threat and the threat to my little dog. we caught 3 in one week and I relocated them. I called animal control about it and was informed that I was in violation of California law about doing this.

she explained that raccoons can smell the bait from up to 10 miles and we were attracting more and more and that some could be mothers and if I relocated then the babies would die.

I understood and was only given a warning. I put the traps away. there is still an occasional raccoon but we fenced in our yard and keep all garbage inside the garage locked up.

the only animals we feed are the birds sometimes. they started squawking too much when the bird feeders ran dry so we pretty much discontinued that , ha ha.

oldngray

nowhere special
im sure after the authorities explained to these people what they did wrong they understood. ignorant is not bad if there is no malice.

I set out traps for raccoons because iwas afraid of the rabies threat and the threat to my little dog. we caught 3 in one week and I relocated them. I called animal control about it and was informed that I was in violation of California law about doing this.

she explained that raccoons can smell the bait from up to 10 miles and we were attracting more and more and that some could be mothers and if I relocated then the babies would die.

I understood and was only given a warning. I put the traps away. there is still an occasional raccoon but we fenced in our yard and keep all garbage inside the garage locked up.

the only animals we feed are the birds sometimes. they started squawking too much when the bird feeders ran dry so we pretty much discontinued that , ha ha.

If you trap raccoons you have to kill them. It's illegal to release them back into the wild. You can legally trap them at any time here because they are such a nuisance. Any babies they might have doesn't matter.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A few miles from my town there was a woman who was hand-feeding grapes and fruit to the black bears that live in the woods behind her home. She kept doing it despite warnings from the police, which caused even more bears to be drawn to the area and they began losing their fear of humans and eating garbage, pet food etc. One day, one of those bears walked up onto her neighbor's porch in search of food, stuck its head through a dog door, and proceeded to tear through the door and into the kitchen of a woman who was cooking breakfast. Her screams caused the bear to panic and it wound up going on a rampage in the kitchen with part of the door still stuck around its head. Her husband wound up having to shoot it in their living room. Wild animals are supposed to be afraid of people and there is a reason why its illegal to feed them.
My Mother's eccentric friend finally learned why it was considered a bad idea to feed Raccoons on her back deck.

wayfair

swollen member
I've called animal control a couple times on different routes, starved/malnourished horses and a couple times on tic infested dogs, friggin things looked like grapes hanging off.

Good job!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you trap raccoons you have to kill them. It's illegal to release them back into the wild. You can legally trap them at any time here because they are such a nuisance. Any babies they might have doesn't matter.
in California? that's not what we were told. we were told we couldn't trap them in the first place . they gave us a warning and said we could get fined if we did it again.

I know every state has different laws. maybe every county too within a state.

Dr.Brownz

Mad respect dude, that is awesome. I have called in on the conditions a customer was keeping their animals in as well. There is no one to hep that animal but you, that is the way I see it.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Actually, it was the Department of Fish and Wildlife who then forwarded me to the State Police wildlife enforcement office. Some well-meaning but ignorant people had found a fawn, assumed it was abandoned, and put a collar on it with a bell and set it in to live with their goats and sheep in fenced pasture. Its adorable and I understand why they want to help the cute baby deer, but if it wanders off in search of its mommy (who will probably reject it anyway to the human scent on it) it will slowly strangle to death due to having no way of getting that collar off as it grows. Even without the collar, it is a wild animal and trying to make a pet out of it is illegal, cruel and dangerous. I saw it while making a delivery, so the customer will probably know it was me that reported them, but I dont care.
View attachment 44730
Good job.

soberups

I got a call from the State Police yesterday, they wanted to know if they could use my name when applying for a search warrant. I said yes. When the officer found out I had taken photos of the deer with the collar on, he was REEEALLY interested in seeing them, so I emailed them from my phone. This could get interesting....

soberups

I dont agree with you on this one ...maybe the people know what there doing

It is illegal in Oregon to "feed, harass or capture" wildlife unless it is hunting/trapping season for the specific species. If the people knew what they were doing, they would have known this. They would have known not to put a collar onto a fawn that it would quickly outgrow and then become strangled by if it ever ran away. They would have known that a fawn that still has spots on it has not yet been weaned off of its mothers milk. And they would have known that the best thing to do would be to leave the fawn where they found it without touching it. If I were wrong about any of these facts...which I am not...the Department of Fish and Wildlife would have told be that when I called them instead of getting the State Police involved.

DOK

Quite a few folks around here have them in pens. Keep them in high fenced pens and feed them well, one is 12 years old.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here if it is a native wild animal it is illegal to keep as a pet. The problem is more with non native exotics that have few restrictions and idiots try to treat as pets instead of wild animals.