Can I drive without direction?

feeder53

ADKtrails
Go for it, You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. a person can do anything they put their mind to. Try hard and you will find your way around. This is part of the growing process.......Go for it.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Dont worry , you are gonna be in small area , the secret is to learn how the route runs dont worry about directions. most routes are set up pretty good , ask a driver whos run the route to go over it with you and learn the number system of where your driving. Where I drive the addresses get Higher to the west they are 5 diget and higher to the north they are 4 diget so when you look at an address you can tell wether its a street running east to west or north to south. When I started driving I was really nervous we drive on the other side of the st where im from and have a completely different number system. It took about 5 days untill it clicked. you gotta try you have nothing to lose

Channahon

The sun rises in the east, sets in the west and is overhead midday on a sunny day.

Your best bet to learn your sense of direction, is to get a map, have someone ride with you and advise you of what direction you are driving. Start making turns, and ask which direction you are going. Not only will this help you at UPS, but in your personal driving as well.

Good luck

sendagain

Just in case, it's bright orange over the Atlantic in the morning and bright orange over the Pacific in the evening.

UPS Lifer

You can do this.... Just like Chanahon said. You can learn your area. Generally, each city has a center point and in a lot of cases there are streets that are similar in address going a certain direction. Find where the streets intersect with the " Zero/Zero numbers.

In most cases there is a consistency in the way a city maps the area. Study the map to find this.

Odd numbers are always on one side of the street and jump by a certain number consistently. Numbers get larger going North - South - East - West - depending on the direction of the street. Conversely - those numbers get smaller as they get to the "ground zero" or center point of the city. When the numbers rise again you have crossed over that center line.

I learned all of this from other drivers!

You can go on the weekend and cruise your area to learn where streets are and get familiar with them. Every street you cross look at the street sign and take a mental image of where it is in relation to the direction you are going.

This is something you can learn. Do not sell yourself short.
Now go and pursue that career!!

barnyard

KTM rider
It's funny you should mention direction....

Last peak, my helpers were native of the community that we were delivering. Several times, I asked them, "Where are we??" Unless we were near a landmark, they did not know.

When your head's down, it's easy to get lost.

Try it, you have 30 days to succeed. If not, nothing's lost.

Tom B

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Dude, consider this: during my job interview, the supervisor asked me just how well I knew the city. Well, having lived here for most of my life I figured I knew it very well and proceeded to tell him so. I got hired, trained and the day came for me to be set off on my own . . . and ten minutes in I realized I had no clue where I was going. I think it took me something like four hours to do 20 residential stops in a relatively small neighbourhood.

So yeah man, we've all been there. Just get yourself a good map and a pencil and map your stops out beforehand for a little while. That way you can set yourself up a nice, juicy trace until you start to get some area knowledge.