can i get some help with codes please?

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
tried searching and it turned up mainly zip codes.

i'm a brand new qualified 22.4 working tue-sat. yesterday about half way through my shift i got a message on my board asking me to see someone i'd never heard of before i clocked out. request acknowledged >>submit.

when i got back to base, i found the person and they said they wanted to verify my code because i finished up in less than 8 hours. they guided me to the verify screen where the code was i believe 6 and had me change it to 5. if it makes a difference, i had already hit 41 hours m-friend so saturday was all OT anyway.

just checked my time card and it shows 6.82 hours for Saturday. obviously that's not 8 hours. did they take advantage of me being a noob or is it more likely i'm just a noob and not understanding what's going on?

charm299

i'm a brand new qualified 22.4 working tue-sat. yesterday about half way through my shift i got a message on my board asking me to see someone i'd never heard of before i clocked out. request acknowledged >>submit.

when i got back to base, i found the person and they said they wanted to verify my code because i finished up in less than 8 hours. they guided me to the verify screen where the code was i believe 6 and had me change it to 5. if it makes a difference, i had already hit 41 hours m-friend so saturday was all OT anyway.

just checked my time card and it shows 6.82 hours for Saturday. obviously that's not 8 hours. did they take advantage of me being a noob or is it more likely i'm just a noob and not understanding what's going on?
Yes, code 5 is for hours worked

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

You got had.
Sorry bud.

What did they say to you?
Could be if they didn't explain why, that you may be able to grieve this.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
he just asked me if i had 8 hours work on my truck and if i took lunch. no and no.

"ok put 5 then and punch out"
Sounds like a grievance to me.
Find your steward, and give him the details.

It is not your fault that management failed to dispatch you properly and did not find extra work for you.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I’m going to piggyback off this thread since I’m also a new 22.4. I always put code 6 (actually it is already usually in the diad as 06 in the morning). An older driver - still less than 5 year driver though I think - told me you can get in big trouble for doing that unless you are instructed to. I didn’t listen to him though because I’m guaranteed 8 hours of work so why would I not put it in the diad that way. No sup has ever told me what to put there one way or the other honestly.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Sounds like a grievance to me.
Find your steward, and give him the details.

It is not your fault that management failed to dispatch you properly and did not find extra work for you.

thanks for the reply. i'm going to send her a message in the morning since i'm off tomorrow. i will speak with her about it but i'm willing to write this one off as tuition unless she says they have a habit of doing this with all new hires. of course i'd like my hour of OT but on the flip side it was also the easiest day i'd had at ups since day 1 of qualifying and now i know one of their tricks so there is that...

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
I’m going to piggyback off this thread since I’m also a new 22.4. I always put code 6 (actually it is already usually in the diad as 06 in the morning). An older driver - still less than 5 year driver though I think - told me you can get in big trouble for doing that unless you are instructed to. I didn’t listen to him though because I’m guaranteed 8 hours of work so why would I not put it in the diad that way. No sup has ever told me what to put there one way or the other honestly.

i've also never received any specific instruction about that. the only thing i've ever changed on that screen is the start time due to wed morning safety meetings.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
I thought the bottom 10% weren't guaranteed 8 or am I just imagining that?

HR told us specifically that we were guaranteed 8 as drivers but that we should expect up to 10 until christmas and after that we may/will be relegated to the warehouse.

rod

Retired 22 years
HR told us specifically that we were guaranteed 8 as drivers but that we should expect up to 10 until christmas and after that we may/will be relegated to the warehouse.
Your first mistake is believing something UPS says. Talk to your union steward -- he will tell you what is really going on.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Your first mistake is believing something UPS says. Talk to your union steward -- he will tell you what is really going on.

5. All 22.4 combination drivers shall be guaranteed eight (8) consecutive hours of straight time pay per day, if reporting as scheduled. All 22.4 combination drivers shall work a five (5) consecutive day schedule of Tuesday through Saturday or Wednesday through Sunday. This paragraph shall supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

Ackerlin

Code 05 while you are qualifying, code 06 after you've made seniority. They pull this :censored2: again, inform them that you are a senior driver and get your steward.