Young Gun looking for some Old Timer Advice

NoPetesHere

23 y/o Feeder in NW Ohio, started October of 22. A few from the bottom out of 300(+-)ish Drivers. I've worked roughly about 5-6 months out of the 1 year and 4 months of Seniority that I have. And yea I know you old bstrds had to walk backwards through 6 feet of snow on your way to work just to go in the building for 10 years before you got to even look at a Feeder bid, I get it. Outside of my "Full-Time" Feeder position I've been working for a FedEx Ground Contractor who has been generous to keep me afloat during the typical UPS B.S. I came into this hub hoping the new (North Baltimore) hub would be my "saving grace" but since yesterday's meeting it feels like anything but that.

Without making this too long the main advice I'm chasing is, with how young I am I don't want to toss my young adulthood out the window in hopes of getting a CPU 8 Hour day bid in 5-6 years... Would I be better off finding another LTL Company (I've had my eyes on Dayton Freight and R&L) which would allow me to move(transfer with a job lined up without having to go through progression) nearly anywhere rather than being stuck here only working barely half the year.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Would I be better off finding another LTL Company (I've had my eyes on Dayton Freight and R&L) which would allow me to move(transfer with a job lined up without having to go through progression) nearly anywhere rather than being stuck here only working barely half the year.
The only reason people hem and haw about UPS's alleged superiority is the pay and benefits. Literally nothing else. If you've determined that that is not your absolute number one priority, then the answer to your question is more than likely yes.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
23 y/o Feeder in NW Ohio, started October of 22. A few from the bottom out of 300(+-)ish Drivers. I've worked roughly about 5-6 months out of the 1 year and 4 months of Seniority that I have. And yea I know you old bstrds had to walk backwards through 6 feet of snow on your way to work just to go in the building for 10 years before you got to even look at a Feeder bid, I get it. Outside of my "Full-Time" Feeder position I've been working for a FedEx Ground Contractor who has been generous to keep me afloat during the typical UPS B.S. I came into this hub hoping the new (North Baltimore) hub would be my "saving grace" but since yesterday's meeting it feels like anything but that.

Without making this too long the main advice I'm chasing is, with how young I am I don't want to toss my young adulthood out the window in hopes of getting a CPU 8 Hour day bid in 5-6 years... Would I be better off finding another LTL Company (I've had my eyes on Dayton Freight and R&L) which would allow me to move(transfer with a job lined up without having to go through progression) nearly anywhere rather than being stuck here only working barely half the year.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Become a snow mexican and work at Bison

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What you're going thru is typical UPS nonsense.
They have a habit of doing this to many others,
This is their test to see how far they can jerk you around.
You just have to remember that this job isn't for everyone.

It sounds like you are in a good position employment wise, if you want to wait it out.

I knew of one local driver who went thru this ordeal for 5 years.
He even quit twice, and still they kept calling him back.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Well, if your asking one of us really old timers like myself, I'd tell you that I never faced the prospect of a single day of layoff in my entire 32yrs at UPS. I was about 10-15 years in before I saw anyone on the "layoff list" at all. So, the fact that there's even layoffs at all should tell you something. Tells me, it's not the same company anymore, not by a long shot.

NoPetesHere

Thanks for all the responses, even you flip floppers up there. I think after I get my 1 1/2 exp in +Tank/Haz I'll be headed to Dayton Freight if they have a spot available, I know they keep their job ads up even when they aren't hiring... but with the way the company is headed like @Been In Brown Too Long stated, I just don't think its smart to stay especialy with this new contract. Everyone saw the $49 and didn't think about pricing themselves out of a job. I've also seen ads for TForce(Yea I know its not UPS) hiring O/O, with the way the unions are becoming what they fought against in the past I don't see it being too far out. I'm too young to wait for that day that I score a half ass bid or be remotely close on-call to work 3-4 days week. Another 4-6 years in LTL then I think getting my own truck is in sight.