Can I grievance having to work in departments I was not hired for?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Naw, we got unloaders, loaders and sorters. I was hired to be an unloader during preload. You actually have to get a transfer to 'officially' work in those departments. I know because I've seen a few guys in my department do it. Meaning you report there in the mornings, have an assigned work schedule within those departments and partake in their pcms. Them sending me to do irregular jobs is just convenient easy labor. Also I know not everyone has to 'pitch in' per say. The loaders and sorters never have to help unload or with each others task, but we have to help them. And even within the unload, there are those with seniority who are never asked to do anything other than that.

All this team player nonsense is just lazy ups penny pinching by keeping their staff numbers low so they can make more and pay less. Cheaper to tack on an extra 2 dollars to my pay rate for skilled work than pay 325 extra dollars for 5 new hires.

Edit: whoops meant to quote you too brown
Everywhere has loaders, unloaders, sorters and a ton of other jobs. None of them are bid positions with a specific job description. Yes, management likes to segregate you into separate little pcms and whatnot. Don't let that make you feel as if they are somehow separate. You don't need a "transfer" to move between any of these assignments.

Soul crushing words from where I'm standing
Well, then be prepared to have your soul crushed. If you take this to the union, the words work as instructed/directed will be exactly what you hear.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
we have a prior past practice clause (helpful for keeping a preload assignment forever) in the western but if not you are screwed.
Perhaps a preload assignment was a permanent thing in your building therefore past practice may apply. In western here too, and a permanent preload assignment never existed in our building, so past practice wouldn't apply. In fact, both management and the union applied past practice in such an inconsistent manner, that the language is virtually useless. I've filed past practice grievances, and they go nowhere, too vague.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
If I remember correctly, Scoob, yeah it was hot even back then. 'Course, global warming has made it much, much worse. And yeah, I'm finer than frog hair. Thanks for asking.
Good to hear, I don't get on much and am usually never on when you are so I haven't been up on things going on.

542thruNthru

Email David Abney's secretary at

[email protected]

He will take care of it for you.

tenor-18.gif

llamainmypocket

You can transfer to a preferred position if you've got enough seniority. I think it's 6 months where I'm at. But it already sounds like you have your preferred position.

They are just moving you as needed. Probably pulling from the bottom up. I'm pretty sure they can do that. The only way around is to get enough seniority to not be on the bottom or sort it out with HR for medical reasons. Expect to provide a doctor's note.

I think you're pretty much out of luck. You just got to earn your keep first.

Elmo.goes.to.prom

Naw, we got unloaders, loaders and sorters. I was hired to be an unloader during preload. You actually have to get a transfer to 'officially' work in those departments. I know because I've seen a few guys in my department do it. Meaning you report there in the mornings, have an assigned work schedule within those departments and partake in their pcms. Them sending me to do irregular jobs is just convenient easy labor. Also I know not everyone has to 'pitch in' per say. The loaders and sorters never have to help unload or with each others task, but we have to help them. And even within the unload, there are those with seniority who are never asked to do anything other than that.

All this team player nonsense is just lazy ups penny pinching by keeping their staff numbers low so they can make more and pay less. Cheaper to tack on an extra 2 dollars to my pay rate for skilled work than pay 325 extra dollars for 5 new hires.

Edit: whoops meant to quote you too brown

Lol.

Loaders are the last to leave. When are they suppose to help in other positions?
In our building that just wouldn't work.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Lol.

Loaders are the last to leave. When are they suppose to help in other positions?
In our building that just wouldn't work.
Yup
Most days, by the time I finish, I take a look past my assignment for the first time since I started to see that the vast majority of drivers fled the building already.

CoffeeStainedUniform

T
When I started in 1976, I was hired as an unloader in a sort and load facility. That is an operation where the drivers stand behind their respective PC's along a double set of rollers, not conveyor belts. Preload didn't exist here at that time. The drivers pick the packages that belong to them and load it into their own PC. The trailer is backed up to the building and I pushed the packages out of the trailer. The first 2 drivers were the "splitters" They knew all the zip codes and pushed packages to one side or the other. The drivers took turns in the trailer helping me unload. They were all hired as PC drivers. Did they want to climb in the back of a trailer in the Texas heat with me and get soaking wet before their shift? Of course not. But they did what had to be done. Without whining about it.
That's how we do it. 1 'unloader' and 10 drivers. Works pretty well. When our unloader's not there we do that too.