Can You Top This? (break from contract)

rod

Retired 22 years
On the other end of the scale they once sent me out with 10 rural stops during a blizzard. I worked 6 1/2 hours and got off one stop.:happy2:

BigBrownSanta

One year, I requested an 8 hr. day on the day after Thanksgiving. (I believe this was the first year of the current contract where all hours were double time on that day). I was told to report at 4 AM. I unloaded the air igloos, then loaded the trucks on my belt, and about 9 AM I left the building to deliver. I only had about 30 deliveries, but I delivered to roughly 10 cities in 2 counties. About 3 PM I was heading back to the building and got an OCA for a place about 20 miles back. By the time I got back to the building, it was almost 5 PM, and like someone else in this forum, damn I was tired!!!

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
May have you beat there.Blizzard in 1986.I live on a canal-dead end street.Called in and told manager I couldnt get out due to ice blocking the storm drains and severe flooding.He said "we need you". He made a supervisor drive 20 miles to my house in blizzard and flood to get me.He drove me to center.I took out a p500 and attempted my 1st delivery at a warehouse.Truck got stuck and no 1 could get me out for 8 hours.When they got me out I drove back to center and had manager drive me home.You can't make this stuff up.

rod

Retired 22 years
May have you beat there.Blizzard in 1986.I live on a canal-dead end street.Called in and told manager I couldnt get out due to ice blocking the storm drains and severe flooding.He said "we need you". He made a supervisor drive 20 miles to my house in blizzard and flood to get me.He drove me to center.I took out a p500 and attempted my 1st delivery at a warehouse.Truck got stuck and no 1 could get me out for 8 hours.When they got me out I drove back to center and had manager drive me home.You can't make this stuff up.
Damm!- Now I feel like I was overworked:censored2:

Anybody have any good small sorting or bagging records? Back in the days before scanning, bagging MAR was 100 bph. The fastest I ever hit was 180 bph. Small sorting MAR was 1800 pph, that was a little tougher to do but if I had the right type of packages I could hit 2200 pph. My sup had the record at the time (when she was a smalls sorter) at around 2600 pph.

dcdriver

nations capital
back in the day of being a cover driver. I would run the Pentagon route and you would always WALK up to 10 miles a day inside everyday. Now they have an electric train.

Dump and Run

A couple of years ago at peak my jumper and I made 403 del. We had to come back to the bldg and load the rest of the stops about half way through. It really wasn't as bad as one might think. Every time we stopped the truck we del at least 2 stops.

Just Lurking

More important to pay one driver and say we tried. No guarantee and we get to keep your money.

looper804

Don't think we had any guarantee back then.My biggest concern that day was I was running out of gas and my feet were getting cold.Also once they got me out the owner of the warehouse had a snow plow come in and clear the driveway.Never could figure out why he didn't have him push me out.But it was the easiest hours i've ever done.

looper804

A couple of years ago at peak my jumper and I made 403 del. We had to come back to the bldg and load the rest of the stops about half way through. It really wasn't as bad as one might think. Every time we stopped the truck we del at least 2 stops.

My 1st peak in 1986 I was doing 400 stops a day plus 6 pickups.Had 5 helpers,put 2 in apartment houses,put 2 on the street with the old wooden wagons for those that remember them and I kept 1 with me so I never had to leave the truck.

rod

Retired 22 years
Once had a center manager tell me I couldn't have the day off even though I had a water pipe break in my house and my basement was flooding. Could of been the same one that "couldn't" give me the day off after my 1st son was born at 3:12 in the morning. Where do they get these heatrless BASTAR**!!!:gun_banda

DS

Fenderbender
I used to pick up at a place that distributed high end hockey/baseball/football cards(you know some have holograms)
they weighed about 55 lbs a box,and I used to squeeze almost 6 skids
(around 380 boxes) into my old p800.I'm not sure how much weight those trucks are intended to carry,but I had to be careful not to stop going uphill .:biting:

ikoi62

I Used to like reading the UPS magazine "The Big Idea" if i remember right about once a year they would have a section with this kind of stuff in it.
1. Most NDA"s del by a driver to 1 stop.
2. most packages picked up by a driver from a single stop.
all kinds of stuff
all this was before the diad.
anyone else remember this?

looper804

I Used to like reading the UPS magazine "The Big Idea" if i remember right about once a year they would have a section with this kind of stuff in it.
1. Most NDA"s del by a driver to 1 stop.
2. most packages picked up by a driver from a single stop.
all kinds of stuff
all this was before the diad.
anyone else remember this?

Yes,I remember.It used to have once a year the UPS world records in it.I think that is what you are refering to.I submitted a request to be in the world records for the largest COD collected.It was around 1987,I made a delivery to a place that made computer chips out of gold.I collected a little over $100,000.00 (too long ago to remember exact amount).The Big Idea people kept asking for all sorts of documentation that I couldn't provide as proof so I never made it into the record books.