cant find the answer

Ouch

Ive looked everywhere in the southern and cant find this. Does your spouce get any of your pension if you pass away. Say you retire then 2 years down the road you pass away would your wife receive anything.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ive looked everywhere in the southern and cant find this. Does your spouce get any of your pension if you pass away. Say you retire then 2 years down the road you pass away would your wife receive anything.

I think you can opt to take various spousal benefit options you can elect to take during retirement, ie. benefits continue for a longer period for your spouse if you pass away, but your monthly benefit is slightly reduced.. this wouldn't be in your supplement, it would be in the Summary Plan Document.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You should get details from HR because every plan is different.

Our plan has different options that vary in spouse surviver payout. Generally, guaranteed payout means smaller monthly checks.

Ouch

Hey thanks a bunch for the help. Im a little ashamed im a steward and didnt know the answer to that. First time ive ever been asked that question though. Thanks again.

oldupsman

Instead of taking a reduced monthly benefit, take the full monthly benefit and then buy yourself life insurance.
Much better option.

pretender

If you are in the UPS/IBT plan, you have two options for spousal benefits (70% and 50%) at a reduced monthly benefit. I agree with purchasing an insurance policy and taking the full monthly benefit. It should also be noted that you are guaranteed 60 months of payments at the full amount.

didyousheetit

If you are in the UPS/IBT plan, you have two options for spousal benefits (70% and 50%) at a reduced monthly benefit. I agree with purchasing an insurance policy and taking the full monthly benefit. It should also be noted that you are guaranteed 60 months of payments at the full amount.
just remember spouse has to sign off on not being on the pension. Not sure how many would like that idea

Inthegame

Not to nitpick but I believe you meant your surviving beneficiary is guaranteed 60 months. If you pass, you won't be needing pension payments...

upschuck

I've gotten onto upsers.com and gone to the retirement calculator, and it well tell you what you are due to get at a specified date and with spousal coverage. I have found that to be helpful. You do need to make an account though.