Career Questions

Pktrusty

I won't tell my whole life story but last year my wife and I decided to travel and see thought country. I would find odd jobs and stay busy as we were staying in locations two-three months. COVID has made it to where we have stayed where we currently are longer than we normally would have. I started out in Local sort and got the opportunity to drive. I have one week left on my 30 days and my wife wants to move locations. Where we currently are is exceedingly expensive and not a long term option for either of us.

I understand there really are not any quick transfers or many options at all. I have a background that makes a PT Sup a option but not really the direction I would look to longterm. I actually like the hard work and another reason why a sup is not something I am interested in long term. Any things to consider if I went this direction to transfer?

Is there a way to find out information about different locations. I have been treated well where I work. I know a new location is going to be different but would like a way to understand what I could potentially be walking into.

If I gave notice, quit and then went back to sort for my chance to drive. Would I have to do intergrad again? If I waited to make it as a cover driver, would I likely have to do the 30 day trail for driving again? Do you think I would be able to drive on weekends you think?

Thank you in advance

Dr.Brownz

If you quit and get rehired somewhere else, all of your time for seniority will mean nothing. You will have to do your 30 days again, who knows about Integrad, they make up rules as they go.

Weekends I don't know, maybe you could get on part time somewhere else and become an air driver who works weekends?

Part time sup is a dead end for 99% but if you are on great terms with management maybe you can work a deal to become one of the chosen management people who become drivers.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Get a CDL and do OTR for any of the local trucking companies. That way when you move you can take your CDL with you as long as you stay in the same state. Switching at UPS is hard and very few actually accomplish it successfully.

CoolStoryBro

Note that when you quit there is a high likelihood that you will be put on a "no rehire" list.
So you need to talk to HR before you quit and tell them that you want to get rehired in a different location. You will lose all benefits and raises and start over.

You can't quit from being a driver and go back to sort as you put it. You can DQ yourself before 30 days and go back to pt sort. Once a driver you are stuck there. Unless you quit UPS entirely and arrange with HR that you would like to get rehired elsewhere.

Pktrusty

In all a actuality, I got the opportunity to drive after 45 days so my seniority is not a huge loss. We have found a place we intend on settling down. This would be the last move.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
If I had to do it all over again I would have my wife work at UPS, and I would settle for the part time non UPS job.