Casual Question

Black

I was hired in August of 06' as a seasonal/Casual driver. During my stay I worked hard and never complained. During the last few weeks of peak I was told numerous times by management I would be rehired full-time after the new year. I work on Saturday, December 23rd and my manager told me once again I would be returning sometime next year as a full-time driver. It's now the end of February and I'm still waiting to hear from UPS. I'm able to collect unemployment so I'm not concerned about an income but would like to get back to work. Just wondering when does UPS usually call back rehireies? How long does it usually take? I understand there is a ratio of how many outsiders compared to part-times that can be hired. I worked in a busy hub in Northern New Jersey and was even told by my shop steward they will probably be rehireing 3 from the outside this year. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this matter. Thanks

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Welcome! I hope it works out for you, i believe its a 6 to 1 ratio, management will tell you just about anything to get you to do what they want! :w00t:

You realize how many people would love to be hired right off the street fulltime? your probably in a big pool of people but good luck! hope you get it.

Sammie

I have known people who were driver helpers for several Christmas seasons before they were hired on as full time drivers. Not meaning to discourage you, but UPS and many other companies are in the "run a business but save a ton of money" mode and we here in Colorado see the additional business that UPS gains from the competitors completed without adding additional drivers or vehicles. You can wait for that phone call from UPS but don't turn down other opportunities until then. Best of luck to you!!

woodenfoot

in the cchil building there are drivers who have worked for 3 4 5 summer and winter seasons and they still are not full time some are retired and love it cause they do not half to join union and under retirement rules you do not half to report it to the union till you be come full time getting penson and extra cash cause penson is not enough

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I was hired in August of 06' as a seasonal/Casual driver. During my stay I worked hard and never complained. During the last few weeks of peak I was told numerous times by management I would be rehired full-time after the new year. I work on Saturday, December 23rd and my manager told me once again I would be returning sometime next year as a full-time driver. It's now the end of February and I'm still waiting to hear from UPS. I'm able to collect unemployment so I'm not concerned about an income but would like to get back to work. Just wondering when does UPS usually call back rehireies? How long does it usually take? I understand there is a ratio of how many outsiders compared to part-times that can be hired. I worked in a busy hub in Northern New Jersey and was even told by my shop steward they will probably be rehireing 3 from the outside this year. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this matter. Thanks

I feel your pain. I was hired in August '06 as well and I am in the exact same situation. Right after x-mas I was told "You are deffinitely coming back, out of all the casuals there are only two of you being hired"

Then it was... "Maybe next week" then, "maybe the week after" then "March 1st" Guess what, March 1st came and "well, the volume is down, we can't hire anyone right now even though you came from the night sort"

It is extrememly frustrating when you are told how awesome you did during peak blah blah blah. Bottom line is, they lie, thay don't give a sh@t about you or your family etc. But I already knew all that.