center manager doesn't understand how Mychoice works.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So last week I was running a route for a driver on vacation. I pull up to an apartment building that I almost always dr whenever I'm in that area. When I scanned the package it came up saying that the consignee has requested the package to be released. The bid driver had not released it the prior Friday, and the consignee left a long letter whining that it was pet meds and blah blah blah.

So, today when I saw the driver I told him to just DR that stuff, and he said he didn't want to be held responsible IF it got stolen. I said that with mychoice, the consignee is accepting responsibility if that were to happen.

So, he went to our center manager and asked, and the center manager said that IF the package were to be stolen, we would be held responsible.

Either my center manager is an idiot (likely), OR mychoice is a complete waste (also likely)

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It surprises's you that a member of management doesnt understand the very programs UPS offers??

are you new??

From the top down, most managers dont have the first clue how any program works.

TOS.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Part of the problem is that nothing is ever really explained. They wait to the last second to do DIAD training so no one pays attention. Everyone is scanning through just to get it done.

Here's an idea. At the PCM, explain things once in a while instead of wasting time talking about how many backs we had as a center, etc.

Packmule

So last week I was running a route for a driver on vacation. I pull up to an apartment building that I almost always dr whenever I'm in that area. When I scanned the package it came up saying that the consignee has requested the package to be released. The bid driver had not released it the prior Friday, and the consignee left a long letter whining that it was pet meds and blah blah blah.

So, today when I saw the driver I told him to just DR that stuff, and he said he didn't want to be held responsible IF it got stolen. I said that with mychoice, the consignee is accepting responsibility if that were to happen.

So, he went to our center manager and asked, and the center manager said that IF the package were to be stolen, we would be held responsible.

Either my center manager is an idiot (likely), OR mychoice is a complete waste (also likely)
You are correct.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

How are they allowed to to put in they they want packages left at an apartment building. If one person wants to have their :censored2: left and signs up for mychoice, wouldn't the diad tell you to leave every package, even packages for other units?

bumped

How are they allowed to to put in they they want packages left at an apartment building. If one person wants to have their :censored2: left and signs up for mychoice, wouldn't the diad tell you to leave every package, even packages for other units?

No, only the individuals parcels are designated for My Choice. You could have multiple packages going to the same house/apartment/wherever and only certain packages could be released per My Choice. Its whatever packages the customer signed off on.

blackcircle

Unit numbers? When you sign up for MyChoice it pulls your credit history and asks you questions to verify both your identity and your residence.

MyChoice is UPS' wet dream... get people to use an app on their phone to eliminate liability and allow them to make one attempt on a package. The "intercept" feature to send a package to a UPS Store is friend'n stupid, here even if you can dig the box out of a bricked out load the clerk won't reroute it until the driver has likely left. I'm sure the customer loves the extra day delay they've put on themselves.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

Unit numbers? When you sign up for MyChoice it pulls your credit history and asks you questions to verify both your identity and your residence.

MyChoice is UPS' wet dream... get people to use an app on their phone to eliminate liability and allow them to make one attempt on a package. The "intercept" feature to send a package to a UPS Store is friend'n stupid, here even if you can dig the box out of a bricked out load the clerk won't reroute it until the driver has likely left. I'm sure the customer loves the extra day delay they've put on themselves.

Apartment number. If you're address is 666 9th st, apartment 69, when you sign up for mychoice, wouldn't it mark 666 9th st as an always DR address?

30yearstolife

The bid driver had not released it the prior Friday, and the consignee left a long letter whining that it was pet meds and blah blah blah.

There are 2 types of liability the center manager and/or driver might be considering. Yes, the cost of the stolen package would be born by the Mychoice consignee. But the other liability is the possible misuse of pet medications by the person stealing the package. UPS's liability (or lack there of) is not so clear when dealing with pet medications. UPS just paid a huge penalty last year for not properly delivering (human) prescriptions. Delivering pet medications can pose similar problems and liabilities. I had the police seize a package of animal meds that a dirt-bag on my route was supposedly going to use for a date-rape drug. We are not obligated to DR Mychoice packages if there are other reasons not to DR the package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. MyChoice selections are made by the consignee for a specific tracking number.

BTW, if you don't feel it is a safe DR, you can override the e-sdn.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
No. MyChoice selections are made by the consignee for a specific tracking number.

BTW, if you don't feel it is a safe DR, you can override the e-sdn.

It does not matter if it is a safe DR or not. The customer wants the pkg left. The only time I would not leave it is when I could not keep is safe from weather on a rainy day. This is what UPS My Choice is all about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My Choice is like a surepost pkg. No signature need. Dr on 1st attempt and kept it out of the weather. The driver is not responsible for it. The customer accepts all responsibility for the pkg.

I heard a couple of drivers talking about a stop on a rural run where the consignee requested the packages be DR'd to the front door; unfortunately, there was no way you could safely get to the front door.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Shipper Authorization. By using the Service for a package, you represent and warrant that you are authorized by the shipper to alter the shipper's delivery instructions, including to redirect the delivery of a package to an alternate address, to delay delivery, change a service level selected by the shipper, or to reschedule delivery, and to receive advance notification and delivery information regarding a package. You further agree to indemnify UPS, its parent corporation and affiliated companies, their officers, directors, employees, agents, and their successors and assigns, from any claims, demands, expenses, liabilities, causes of action, and suits of any kind made or asserted by the shipper arising from or relating to your use of the Service.

The key word in this Term of Agreement is "indemnify".