Champcar(CART)/IRL Merge....

FAVREFAN

I know I'm looking for trouble with this being a Nascar nation site(DJ) but does anyone have any thoughts on the open wheel merge? Any thoughts on what direction it should go? Turbochargers? Engines? Manufacturers? What mix of road/street/ovals?

Last edited:

wkmac

I know I'm looking for trouble with this being a Nascar nation site(DJ) but does anyone have any thoughts on the open wheel merge? Any thoughts on what direction it should go? Turbochargers? Engines? Manufacturers? What mix of road/street/ovals?

I'm just glad to see it happen. It was sad when the fallout with USAC took place but things got even worse when the CART/Tony George episode came along. I watched Wind Tunnel Sunday night when they interviewed Tong George and Kevin Kalkoven and Tony George just came across as a pure arse but both men just didn't seem happy although Kalkoven seemed a tab more personable.

We'll see how it all works out but somehow I hope it does and open wheel comes back to what it once was.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I love " Road America" in Elkhart Lake WI. Been going there for years to watch IRL, before that CART. Look forward to the merger, it was needed for both to grow. Hope they still come up to the 4mile road course.

raceanoncr

I think it would be great if they would limit the series to quarter-mile, straight-line acceleration contests. Hmmm.....maybe I'll look into that. :happy-very:

FAVREFAN

If it's just an oval circuit it's in trouble. Open wheel cars need to run on road courses.
Should be 4-5 road/street runs this year. They have recently stated a probable equal mix of road/street/ovals within a 20 race schedule. It will take a couple of years to get there. Without turbochargers, better chassis and multiple engine manufacturers, it will never get back to where it was. But listening to the conversations thus far, seems like they know this.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Brown Dog. I don't think IRL ran at RA. Champ Cars were still coming there after CART. Always enjoyed parking on the fence in corner 3 at 7 AM and watching em slide into the sand trap. Or roaring down thru the woods at 190 and then coming almost to a stop for corner 5.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I was relieved last week when they announce this merger. IRL/Champ Car were killing themselves by not coming together. It may be too little too late though. They are going to have to work hard together to make this really happen. the worse thing is Tony George's ego problem will get in the way. he knows he has won and his two new "partners" know it as well. Tony George's way or no way. :nono:

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
You're right monster, it was Cart then Champ. Last year they combined Champ with American LeMans- it was great, Saturday and Sunday night prime races. 10 of us spend Wed thru Sun up there every year. We bring the scooters up so we can take advantage of the many nice viewing areas. Turn 14 at the bottom of the long hill up to the start/finish and turns 6&7 before the hurry downs are couple of my favorites. And I also like the 190mph through the woods coming downhill to 90degree left turn#5. Ah, the smell of brake dust.:happy-very:

FAVREFAN

You're right monster, it was Cart then Champ. Last year they combined Champ with American LeMans- it was great, Saturday and Sunday night prime races. 10 of us spend Wed thru Sun up there every year. We bring the scooters up so we can take advantage of the many nice viewing areas. Turn 14 at the bottom of the long hill up to the start/finish and turns 6&7 before the hurry downs are couple of my favorites. And I also like the 190mph through the woods coming downhill to 90degree left turn#5. Ah, the smell of brake dust.:happy-very:
Cross our fingers. Maybe by 2010, they'll be back there!