Chemical leak contained at Brockton UPS facility

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Chemical leak contained at Brockton UPS facility - Enterprise News

Wearing protective chemical suits, the technicians entered the back of the trailer as fumes spilled out of it in the early morning hours.

Inside, a 1.8-gallon bottle of nitric acid broke while being loaded into a trailer at the United Parcel Service shipping facility, at 200 Oak Hill Way, about 11:11 pm. Monday.

“It was a nitric acid spill, in a small quantity, while it was being loaded onto a truck,” Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Galligan told The Enterprise. “The people loading it into the truck found that it was broken and it started fuming and off-gassing.”

km3

I am honestly shocked that it doesn't happen more often, and that more people aren't seriously injured as a result. Our hazmat procedures would be good...if they were actually followed! Too many people just toss stuff into a trailer, forget (or intentionally neglect) to F3 the package, etc..

Indecisi0n

I am honestly shocked that it doesn't happen more often, and that more people aren't seriously injured as a result. Our hazmat procedures would be good...if they were actually followed! Too many people just toss stuff into a trailer, forget (or intentionally neglect) to F3 the package, etc..
It's going to take someone being seriously hurt or death until UPS takes it serious.