Clarification on Article 15 (Central Supplement)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No, I want to become a Saturday Air driver. Right now, all I do is load trailers on the midnight shift.
That's right, I forgot.
You will only get straight time because your shift starts on the holiday and ends on Saturday morning.
Article 15, section 5.

Btw, I do commend you and find it refreshing that a less than 1 year part timer has taken the time and initiative to explore their contractual rights.
Hang in there and keep searching, you're already well ahead of the curve.

Last edited:

km3

That's right, I forgot.
You will only get straight time because your shift starts on the holiday and ends on Saturday morning.
Article 15, section 5.

Btw, I do commend you and find it refreshing that a less than 1 year part timer has taken the time and initiative to explore their contractual rights.

Thanks.

So 15.5 basically means that people on the night shift are screwed? Who came up with that one... :/

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thanks.

So 15.5 basically means that people on the night shift are screwed? Who came up with that one... :/
2yjzrc0.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's right, I forgot.
Article 15, section 5.

Not true.

He gets paid double time for Friday.

He does not get double time for Wednesday night, because per Article 15 Section 5, his job starts on a non holiday and ends on a holiday and his holiday is advanced.

He does not work Thursday night. This is his holiday that was advanced and this is the day he gets paid.
Friday is different.

Friday night is is also his holiday. The same as Thursday night is his holiday. UPS is forcing him to work on Friday, his holiday. Section 4 says it is double time.

This holiday cannot be advanced or delayed. The previous day is already a holiday and the following day is the weekend.

He is being forced to work a day that he should have had off due to the holiday.

If we say that you are right, then 90% of the feeder drivers would also only get straight time. The majority of the feeder drivers in the country start Friday night and get off Saturday morning.

The Friday night shift should not be working due to the holiday. UPS is making everyone work the Friday night shift, feeder drivers, air drivers, part timers. Friday is paid at double time for everyone working.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thanks.

No. You get double time. Read the previous post. And don't believe your steward if he says you have to have 1 year in.

You get paid double time plus your holiday pay. If they don't grieve it and you will win it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not true.

He gets paid double time for Friday.

He does not get double time for Wednesday night, because per Article 15 Section 5, his job starts on a non holiday and ends on a holiday and his holiday is advanced.

He does not work Thursday night. This is his holiday that was advanced and this is the day he gets paid.
Friday is different.

Friday night is is also his holiday. The same as Thursday night is his holiday. UPS is forcing him to work on Friday, his holiday. Section 4 says it is double time.

This holiday cannot be advanced or delayed. The previous day is already a holiday and the following day is the weekend.

He is being forced to work a day that he should have had off due to the holiday.

If we say that you are right, then 90% of the feeder drivers would also only get straight time. The majority of the feeder drivers in the country start Friday night and get off Saturday morning.

The Friday night shift should not be working due to the holiday. UPS is making everyone work the Friday night shift, feeder drivers, air drivers, part timers. Friday is paid at double time for everyone working.
So, if I'm reading you right, you feel that this is the "perfect storm" because these holidays are on consecutive days, bordered by a weekend on the back end?
While I "kind of" understand the semantics of your "argument", I suspect the company would be successful in "separating" the two holiday days in regards to the Art 15 sec 5.

Shouldn't there have been a precedence set, or grievances filed last year in regards to these issues, or was that actually how it was handled?

I know there are many grievances tied to the company's assertion that some employees were "air support" that are set to be arbitrated, but haven't heard this argument?

Don't get me wrong, I hope your right, truly.
I just don't see it playing out that way.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So, if I'm reading you right, you feel that this is the "perfect storm" because these holidays are on consecutive days, bordered by a weekend on the back end?
While I "kind of" understand the semantics of your "argument", I suspect the company would be successful in "separating" the two holiday days in regards to the Art 15 sec 5.

Shouldn't there have been a precedence set, or grievances filed last year in regards to these issues, or was that actually how it was handled?

I know there are many grievances tied to the company's assertion that some employees were "air support" that are set to be arbitrated, but haven't heard this argument?

Don't get me wrong, I hope your right, truly.
I just don't see it playing out that way.

I didn't have to grieve it. Every package car driver, feeder driver, clerk, porter, part timer etc. that worked last year in my center got double time plus the holiday pay whether they started at 8 AM or 11 PM, whether they finished work Friday or Saturday.

I didn't hear of any problems of UPS not paying the holiday premium anywhere else.

To better explain it, we need to look at a week when there is only one holiday. Let's take the July 4th week. Let's say it is on a Thursday.

The OP needs to work Wednesday night at 11:30 PM because the package cars and feeders ran. They need to run the midnight sort.

His holiday is delayed until Thursday night. He does not come in Thursday night because no package cars or feeders ran Thursday, UPS was closed, so they don't need to run the midnight sort.

He does not get premium holiday pay because his regular job ended on a holiday and his holiday was delayed. (Until Thursday night)

You cannot advance a holiday for the midnight sort so we have to look at another job. Let's say a few people work the same hours, 11:30 PM until 3:30 AM, but work the preload.

They set up all the package cars and get the preload ready.

They will not work Wednesday night because UPS is closed Thursday and they will not be needed to set up the preload.

They will need to come in on Thursday night to set up the preload for Friday morning.

They do not get the holiday premium because their regular job started on a holiday and their holiday was advanced. (Wednesday night)

Now we come to the "perfect storm" as you called it. Two holidays in a row.

The OP starts at 11:30 PM Friday after Thanksgiving, a paid holiday. The problem is, his holiday cannot be advanced, Thursday was already a holiday, and it cannot be delayed until Saturday night because his regular job does not work Saturday night.

Remember, if UPS is closed on Friday for the holiday, the OP does not work Friday night. His holiday is delayed until Friday night. UPS is making him work on his holiday.

Section 4 says double time.

And this only happens one time a year.

Section 5

There shall be no premium pay for hours worked on a holiday by employees when their regular jobs begin or end on the holiday.

Their holiday is either advanced or delayed, but is nevertheless observed and paid as a holiday.

Confusing?

Same as Section 1 saying seniority employees shall not be required to work and then Section 4 saying employees who are required to work....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I didn't have to grieve it. Every package car driver, feeder driver, clerk, porter, part timer etc. that worked last year in my center got double time plus the holiday pay whether they started at 8 AM or 11 PM, whether they finished work Friday or Saturday.
Isn't it amazing how UPS handles things differently from division to division, within the same region?
Perhaps UPS has it carefully calculated as to what they think they can get away with from local to local?

upschuck

Isn't it amazing how UPS handles things differently from division to division, within the same region?
Perhaps UPS has it carefully calculated as to what they think they can get away with from local to local?
I am sure they do, just like they do employee to employee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Ups loves weak locals that change every three years. There's always got to b that red headed stepchild.

So...how many grievances, from how many "weird, red headed stepchild" locals, are there that are tied to the National case that has yet to be settled and is scheduled for arbitration over last years "pay discrepancies" for the day after Thanksgiving?

Last edited: