COD question

ManInBrown

If I have 2 boxes for a customer (which appear identical) and say "1 of 2" "2 of 2" and one has a cod, can I leave the one without the cod amount? Been here over a year and was never told I couldn't do that, but I got a feeling it's leave both or none.

Sure can. On-Car said it's the customers way of avoiding paying for 2 COD packages. Apparently even if it's the same order there is an extra charge for both boxes. I asked my on-car this exact question a few months ago. was instructed to leave. Said it's the Shipper's problem.

ManInBrown

I asked a customer one time why she got cods, and she said she didn't want any surprises at the end of the month.

I think it has a lot to do with companies stiffing vendors. Especially when the package is going to a business and they have to pay with a Money Order

oldngray

nowhere special
I asked a customer one time why she got cods, and she said she didn't want any surprises at the end of the month.

Some customers prefer COD's because they don't need to spend the money until the packages arrive. More reputable business or ones with an established credit rating can get things like terms are 30 days to pay. Shippers won't allow those terms for the more shady businesses.

ArcherUTR

If you are the consignee, just make sure that you make the driver wait while you write on the back of the COD check, "do not deposit until after (insert whatever month is two months out).

porkwagon

If you are the consignee, just make sure that you make the driver wait while you write on the back of the COD check, "do not deposit until after (insert whatever month is two months out).
That sounds like the same thing as a post dated check and we don't accept those.

ArcherUTR

When I worked at a giant Vietnamese mall, it happend all the time. I never cared, nobody at UPS said a word.

They weren't posted on the front, and I doubt the banks even bothered.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Who even gets COD's anymore?

I agree. I hate the damn things.

On my set the most common receiver of COD packages are people whose residency status in this country is probably less than legal. These are people who order items online but do not have a credit card or bank account for the shipper to collect payment from.

Literally 90% of the COD's I collect are of the secured funds/money order only type.

In an average week, I collect between 8 to 12 checks/money orders. The guy next to me who does a neighborhood much worse than mine probably collects 15 or more a week.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
No you can not. If it says 1of5 2of5 ect you cannot leave any without the check. Now if they all say 1of1 or nothing you can leave them even if all are from the same company.
Nah we've talked about this one before on BC and nothing in the written methods says not to leave the packages without cod amount. There is no way to properly sheet the non cod packages as cod without fudging the recording of the packages as NM1 doesn't work. If the shippers are too cheap to make each package a cod then shame on them.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had a pick up account years ago that shipped counterfeit purses. The 1st time he shipped a multi package COD, he only put the COD on the 1st one and asked me about it. I told him that there was always a possibility that the receiver could refuse the COD and keep the rest and that he (the shipper) would have no recourse.

He said that he did not want to pay the per box COD charge. I told him that the charges are not his problem, those should be added onto and paid by the receiver.

He ended up getting hosed on 2 of the COD shipments he sent out that week and never did it again.

moldsporh

It was a gray area for awhile.....depends on center manager. What I was told, is to inform customer, if the shipper is sending say 5 boxes, all are sequential....1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc, with cod on lead box, you deliver the other 4 and hold the cod. You don't know what the cod is for....the entire shipment or just what's in box #1, not our job to figure it out.

Let them know the shipper is required to put a cod on each box.

The shipper will figure it out real quick, UPS will (should) have your back, just let sup know.

Used to be for us, NM1 on box 1, then NR1 on rest, now it's del the non cod's.

By The Book

I think there is a simple solution to meet the needs of UPS shippers and customers. UPS can charge a fee for the non cod pkgs. and link them together in the shipment. One cod tag for $12.50 and something like $4.00 for the non cod pkgs. The diad would not let you deliver unless all packages were delivered together. The fees would be billed to shipper and not on the non cod pkgs. Just thinking of a way to protect the shipper.