Contract Book for Management

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'd agree that it depends on where you are too, although not drawn by any state boundaries. It seems more like word of mouth rules where there is little belief that there is a source for the actual language (the book) and that the word being represented by anyone in authority is the contract language.

UPS unintentionally makes good Teamsters out of those who finally question the authenticity of what they are told is the reason for a particular course of action that they find questionable. Sometimes it is the result of management contract unfamiliarity, sometimes it's the result of management contract familiarity and a desire to circumvent it.

The contract is written by lawyers (on each side) and as lawyers do, they leave ambiguities (usually on purpose), in the language that leaves room for interpretation.
Those gray areas are where most of the angst is centered.
That is another reason I never read the contract much is because it is subject to interpretations. I used the key points in the presentations developed by UPS lawyers and UPS Labor group.
It was not really important what I thought but to manage according to how UPS instructed me to apply the contract.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I thought this was a thread about ideas for a management contract? We could do some connect the dot pages, coloring by numbers, a few tic tac toe games? Just a few ideas!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I thought this was a thread about ideas for a management contract? We could do some connect the dot pages, coloring by numbers, a few tic tac toe games? Just a few ideas!

Also - paint with water, scratch and sniff, where's Waldo?, and to call meetings to order the Barney sing along - I love you, you love me. My center manager does that one pretty good actually.:happy-very:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Connect a dot is already being used. It's called computerized route mapping. If you look at your area trace on the computer it resembles a a clown riding an elephant.

Pump Up The Volume

I was just thinking back to when I was in the district in and around operations. I can not recall ever having a copy of the contract or even having read the contract.
Do any of management in operations spend any time reading and understanding the contract?

Let's not set the bar of excellence to high here. Let's get management in operations to spend time reading and rereading the ups policybook specifically the part on integrity

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let's not set the bar of excellence to high here. Let's get management in operations to spend time reading and rereading the ups policybook specifically the part on integrity

Integrity appears to be subjective based on the posters here on BC and observations of people in general.
It has been my observation that any individual can rationalize any behavior or actions to where they acted with integrity when we all know - it ain't so.
Damn ... there goes my cynicism getting out of control again.

Pump Up The Volume

Integrity appears to be subjective based on the posters here on BC and observations of people in general.
It has been my observation that any individual can rationalize any behavior or actions to where they acted with integrity when we all know - it ain't so.
Damn ... there goes my cynicism getting out of control again.

Agreed; integrity in operations is wholly subjective to the individual

rod

Retired 22 years
[video=youtube;-lj056ao6GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj056ao6GE[/video]

Contract book? Contract book? We don't need no stinking contract book:wink2:

Cezanne

I believe that the general belief out there is that the higher executives on both sides company and union would be the first ones looking for a dress if they were on the Titanic. Everything is based on situational ethics, doing the "right thing" went out with Casey. If anybody wishes to counter this statement please be my guest...:happy2:

Fullhouse

In Local 509 the Union Hall makes sure the management team receives their copy before the members get theirs. No lie it was two weeks after that when we finally receive our copy. Pretty lame if you ask me!

My center manager does not read his, he will just ask me when he has question.
A very agreeable person, best center manager I every had and I've been there over 25 years!

Stran

Holy Toledo
I'm a center steward and made sure the management got contract books along with the drivers in my center. Now do they read, follow, understand, or even care there is a contract??? That is up for debate!!

drewed

Shankman
I dont have hard copies but I have them on my comps at work and at home in pdf format....Ive quickly read both the NMA and the local riders but in PDF its easy to find specific texts with the find function.

Red Dawn

All full time management should have and know the contract! If more management knew the contract their wouldn't be so many grievance. In return managment wouldn't have to make all the cuts they have.

Just got another big grievance pay out and have a lot more still collecting penalties. I hate to have to file, but the only way (most) management will do what's right is when they have to pay and then their boss comes down on them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
But shouldn't all management people have a copy of the contract? Shouldn't they have to read it?

It is an agreement between the company and the union. I would think that any management person who deals with union employees would want to know what the company has agreed to.

Perhaps not in the grand scope. But how about front line management?
I think it would at least interest a management person who deals with union employees. I would think that a professional would want to know what the company has agreed to. I would think it directly affects his operation.

Unless this changes when the new UPS Policy Book comes out,
it is UPS policy to develop and maintain professional relations with labor union representatives. UPS management recognizes that employees can be effective and loyal employees and good union members at the same time. UPS management respect and fulfill the terms or our labor agreements.

No UPS employee is above policy. If any management people are not honoring UPS by not honoring the policy they should change or be asked to leave.

I