Contract says 1 thing.. Payroll says another

Upser91

Hey guys

I previously held a part time air driving job in a Northeast hub where I hit top rate at 27.24 (seniority date is 09-22-2014) would work during peak and summer as a tcd. On Monday 10-17-2016 I was awarded a full time cover driving job. I checked with my center office to find out what I would be making and they said 19.10 because my tcd hours equaled 1 full year of service. In article 41 of the master agreement it clearly states that I should be red circled at the higher pay rate until the other progression catches up. Payroll responded and said that doesn't apply to secondary tcds. My question is, where does it say in the contract I SHOULDN'T be making the higher rate? I've read the article multiple times and can't find where it says it. I don't know if I should file a grievance or not. I spoke to my steward and he insisted payroll was right and that's just how it is, but something doesn't seem right about it. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Upser91

The thing is I got payed yesterday is and they payed me at the higher rate.. but I don't want to be screwed down the road and have to pay back ups retroactive

We recently had 2 utility drivers go ft driving. They started at their pay rate. It was automatic for them. 8 years ago an air driver go ft driving and they started at their full scale air rate. But it took about a year of grieving to get it. He got a big fat check of back pay. Bottom line, stay on them, you will more than likely win.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Wasn't your TCD rate higher than your top air rate? If so, you should be getting the TCD rate from the beginning.

Since both those rates are above the $25 rate for year three of progression, you will stay at your red circled rate until 4 years minus the 1 year you have of TCD. So, after 3 years of either top air or TCD pay you will go directly to top rate.

This is why it pays to TCD or run air. It will probably be at least an extra $80K in your pocket over coming in at bottom of the 4 year progression.

By The Book

Always file a grievance, you have nothing to lose.
In this instance, yes, file and get a time stamp on it. It's only for clarification...no discipline involved.
The thing is I got payed yesterday is and they payed me at the higher rate.. but I don't want to be screwed down the road and have to pay back ups retroactive
You would think being paid correctly during this transition was an acknowledgment of the correct rate of pay, from payroll. With UPS though it's not always the case. Is the pay you just received for work you did before being awarded the full time cover job?

Upser91

My tcd rate was 19.10 according to payroll.. and since i made book ive been coding 06.. last week was my first week on the books so the check yesterday was from last week abd they payed me at my air rate which is higher

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
My tcd rate was 19.10 according to payroll.. and since i made book ive been coding 06.. last week was my first week on the books so the check yesterday was from last week abd they payed me at my air rate which is higher

Dang, when I was a TCD it was 85% of top pay in my area...like $27 an hour a few years back.

watdaflock?

UPS screwing up payroll isn't uncommon. Just let it ride and they'll figure it out. UPS won't expect you to immediate pay it back.

By The Book

Did you do Saturday driving last week? Is your hire date 9-22-2014? When you say you were awarded a full full time cover driving job, are you saying they hired you as a new driver and are in your 30 day probation?

ManInBrown

Call the HALL. Never assume what Stewart says is definitely correct. Not saying Stewart is trying to railroad you, but they don't know everything. Stewart tried telling a bunch of cover drivers in my center they could not opt into the 9.5 while in progression. Completely false. You only have to cover the same route for one full week. 9.5 has nothing to do with being in progression.

Upser91

Was the air driving job your primary classification?
Yes I went from a seasonal driver to a part time air driver drove during the week, eams then come back for ndas Monday through Friday no Saturdays.. Then during the summer and peak seasons I would cover routes as a tcd

Upser91

Did you do Saturday driving last week? Is your hire date 9-22-2014? When you say you were awarded a full full time cover driving job, are you saying they hired you as a new driver and are in your 30 day probation?
No I didn't do air driving last week, I was hired as a full time cover driver on October 17th.. so last week was my second week as a full time senority cover driver

ViewAskew

Yes I went from a seasonal driver to a part time air driver drove during the week, eams then come back for ndas Monday through Friday no Saturdays.. Then during the summer and peak seasons I would cover routes as a tcd

Then you absolutely should be red circled at that top air rate.

jbg77

Hey guys

I previously held a part time air driving job in a Northeast hub where I hit top rate at 27.24 (seniority date is 09-22-2014) would work during peak and summer as a tcd. On Monday 10-17-2016 I was awarded a full time cover driving job. I checked with my center office to find out what I would be making and they said 19.10 because my tcd hours equaled 1 full year of service. In article 41 of the master agreement it clearly states that I should be red circled at the higher pay rate until the other progression catches up. Payroll responded and said that doesn't apply to secondary tcds. My question is, where does it say in the contract I SHOULDN'T be making the higher rate? I've read the article multiple times and can't find where it says it. I don't know if I should file a grievance or not. I spoke to my steward and he insisted payroll was right and that's just how it is, but something doesn't seem right about it. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you qualified running as a ptcd you should start at that rate and your 4 year progression starts there which I believe is 85% of full time rate. Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong