corporations find their dream worker under massive for profit prison system

wkmac

wkmac, when you transfer, most colleges typically require that you take at least 60 credit hours with them in order to be eligible to graduate.

May depend on circumstances and conditions. Our technical schools are also a part of the Georgia University System so to take any classes on a subject at a technical school is as if you took it at the college you now attend. In fact. it has become quite popular for some high school seniors to take evening classes at the technical school just to get a jump on college and take some of the pressure off those first couple of years when their plans are to attend college within the State University System.

Maybe we just take a different approach as to what you've been accustomed too up in your neck of the woods. What you say may be true outside our University System and thus a reason I qualified my point in my earlier post about private universities.

The credits are fully transferable to any State school but private colleges may be another matter.

I suspect from one State system to another State system to also have different rules and conditions which may fit what you are suggesting.

wkmac

You can read Brave new world and Grapes of Wrath for absolutely nothing. They're available at your local public library for free. And I believe you can probably rent Clockwork Orange for less than 5 dollars. Just sayin'.

Probably open source in pdf form on the net.

rickyb

You can read Brave new world and Grapes of Wrath for absolutely nothing. They're available at your local public library for free. And I believe you can probably rent Clockwork Orange for less than 5 dollars. Just sayin'.

i know but my point was not about access to books, it was about education being corporatized

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i know but my point was not about access to books, it was about education being corporatized

Like prisons, education should not be for profit. There are so many schools out there offering useless degrees that they (the school) know are worthless. It's all about the money. As for prisons, there should never be a profit incentive to keep someone incarcerated who shouldn't be there. We have already seen several cases where judges were working hand-in-hand with private prison owners to ensure a full house...and additional profits.

wkmac

Centralized State Monopoly, Compulsory education was created on behalf of and for the economic benefit to Corp. interests of industrial and finance capitalism. If you really oppose corp. interests you would oppose central state education models and instead support de-centralized and non monopoly education models that focus on the individual rather than in just controlling the herd.

As George Carlin would say, "there's a reason education sucks!"

All and all you're just another brick in the wall!

wkmac

Like prisons, education should not be for profit. There are so many schools out there offering useless degrees that they (the school) know are worthless. It's all about the money. As for prisons, there should never be a profit incentive to keep someone incarcerated who shouldn't be there. We have already seen several cases where judges were working hand-in-hand with private prison owners to ensure a full house...and additional profits.

I've always been fascinated during the 60's in which the effects of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act would shift the balance of power from dominate white interests which held power outside the geographic black community and work to de-centralize such power back to local forces of the Black community itself. Black communities could in effect become their own self governing entities while building not just political but also economic power and autonomy. But it didn't take long for the status quo power and economic structure to figure out how to protect its interests and from that we got the drug war which destroyed the black family unit and emasculated the head of said family in the African American male. Now the private prison economic model serves as a kind of gratuity service in which we slaves tip the "Cracker" that beats other slaves.

rickyb

Centralized State Monopoly, Compulsory education was created on behalf of and for the economic benefit to Corp. interests of industrial and finance capitalism. If you really oppose corp. interests you would oppose central state education models and instead support de-centralized and non monopoly education models that focus on the individual rather than in just controlling the herd.

As George Carlin would say, "there's a reason education sucks!"

All and all you're just another brick in the wall!

i have no idea, but i agree and i have always been very skeptical of the public "education" i have recieved especially now that im older. i dont know if ideology is the right word, but it feels like after i graduated high school i have no ideology. you dont know anything about taxes, dont know how to work the government, dont know about the political economy. learn a bunch of ridiculous math and completely by pass the most basic and important stuff about numbers. what stands out to me as the greatest thing in my education was 1984 and animal farm. lord of the flies was cool too i guess.

maybe i just wasnt listening and too busy goofing off.

rickyb

yea it seems like alot of the things are overpriced like books they sell. they should just have a library system

wkmac

i have no idea, but i agree and i have always been very skeptical of the public "education" i have recieved especially now that im older. i dont know if ideology is the right word, but it feels like after i graduated high school i have no ideology. you dont know anything about taxes, dont know how to work the government, dont know about the political economy. learn a bunch of ridiculous math and completely by pass the most basic and important stuff about numbers. what stands out to me as the greatest thing in my education was 1984 and animal farm. lord of the flies was cool too i guess.

maybe i just wasnt listening and too busy goofing off.

If history is written by the victors, seems to me the narrative and ideology taught to the masses will also work in the same manner. Coming out of a compulsory institution created by said winners with an ideology just means you think in a manner said winners want you too. Critical thinking is not a desired outcome.

To fully understand what one is dealing with, one has to also listen too and study the losers as well. Most people see life as a kind of sporting event and only want to be on the winning team. If winning is the ultimate aim, one only need believe to those ends and truth only means anything when it merges with the winning narrative. Even morals and principles are situational only as they merge inline with the winning outcome. If they don't, they are discarded and ridiculed.

oldngray

nowhere special
loan.jpg

rickyb

from a chirs hedges article:

By 1994 the Federal Bureau of Prisons, using the Marion model, had built its maximum-security prison in Florence, Colorado. The use of prolonged isolation and sensory deprivation exploded. “Special Housing Units” were used for the mentally ill. “Security Threat Group Management Units” were formed for those accused of gang activity. “Communication Management Units” were formed to isolate Muslims labeled as terrorists. Voluntary and involuntary protective custody units were formed. Administrative segregation punishment units were formed to isolate prisoners said to be psychologically troubled. All were established in open violation of the United Nations Convention Against Torture and the UN’s International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights"

also what was interesting was there was a period from roughly 1910 to 1960 where they didnt have isolation units in US prisons. it was bought back after 1960s because of teh civil rights protests.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
from a chirs hedges article:

By 1994 the Federal Bureau of Prisons, using the Marion model, had built its maximum-security prison in Florence, Colorado. The use of prolonged isolation and sensory deprivation exploded. “Special Housing Units” were used for the mentally ill. “Security Threat Group Management Units” were formed for those accused of gang activity. “Communication Management Units” were formed to isolate Muslims labeled as terrorists. Voluntary and involuntary protective custody units were formed. Administrative segregation punishment units were formed to isolate prisoners said to be psychologically troubled. All were established in open violation of the United Nations Convention Against Torture and the UN’s International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights"

also what was interesting was there was a period from roughly 1910 to 1960 where they didnt have isolation units in US prisons. it was bought back after 1960s because of teh civil rights protests.
Do you know why the Marion model was created?