Could this be a start of a new trend ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Bermuda becomes first jurisdiction in the world to repeal same-sex marriage

Bermuda has become the first jurisdiction to legalise and then repeal same-sex marriage.
Bermuda’s Senate and House of Assembly passed the legislation by wide margins in December and a majority of voters opposed same-sex marriage in a referendum.
“The act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples,” said Walton Brown, Bermuda’s minister of home affairs.
Only about half a dozen same-sex marriages have taken place in Bermuda since May 2017 .
But same-sex couples will now have the option only of a registered domestic partnership. Brown said those couples would had “equivalent” rights to married heterosexual couples, including the right to make medical decisions on behalf of one’s partner.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bermuda becomes first jurisdiction in the world to repeal same-sex marriage

Bermuda has become the first jurisdiction to legalise and then repeal same-sex marriage.
Bermuda’s Senate and House of Assembly passed the legislation by wide margins in December and a majority of voters opposed same-sex marriage in a referendum.
“The act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples,” said Walton Brown, Bermuda’s minister of home affairs.
Only about half a dozen same-sex marriages have taken place in Bermuda since May 2017 .
But same-sex couples will now have the option only of a registered domestic partnership. Brown said those couples would had “equivalent” rights to married heterosexual couples, including the right to make medical decisions on behalf of one’s partner.
That has been similar to my suggestion all along.
I think the government should issue a 'domestic partnership' for all partners and if the couple wants to get married, do so in their church. The marriage certificate is only recognized by religions and has no legal standing.
It may be needed to get into heaven though.

It will be fine

I think the government should issue a 'domestic partnership' for all partners and if the couple wants to get married, do so in their church. The marriage certificate is only recognized by religions and has no legal standing.
That's a long way to go to be discriminatory.

vantexan

That's a long way to go to be discriminatory.
Actually he may be on to something. A civil partnership would apply to all. A religious partnership would apply to those following the tenets of that particular congregation. There are churches that are ok with homosexual unions. And those that only recognize heterosexual unions. Of course there would be those who would try to force the issue a la certain bakeries and pizza parlors, but churches can't be forced to change their beliefs unless they're pulling a Jim Jones/David Koresh horror show.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Typical big government Republican thinking.

The government has no business issuing anything at all in regards to relationships.
No it's not, read it again.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I still get the giggles about how so many get all heated up by this issue .
The whole marriage /civil union concept was started by lawyers , who saw that their services were in decline and came up with all this to make more money .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Typical big government Republican thinking.

The government has no business issuing anything at all in regards to relationships.
Normally my sentiment but there needs to be legal relationships for healthcare decisions and inheritance but I could definitely go with no government intervention.