HIV
Common Cold
Annual Flu
Mumps
Rubella
Tuberculosis

Most of those we fixed, with a Vaccine.

Not all of them.

Again, it's not clear we could get herd immunity from this novel corona virus.

We don't have herd immunity for the regular corona virus, aka the 'common cold'.

My guess is they will come up with a vaccine for Covid-19...

Which would be great.

Counting on herd immunity is optimistic, at best.

For sake of argument, lets say herd immunity is not in the cards. As such, a vaccine would only be good for protecting individuals. Would you be for compulsory vaccines? Or do you think each individual should choose for themselves whether to get a vaccine or risk catching it?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
For sake of argument, lets say herd immunity is not in the cards. As such, a vaccine would only be good for protecting individuals. Would you be for compulsory vaccines? Or do you think each individual should choose for themselves whether to get a vaccine or risk catching it?
Good question ... there is a lot of discussion as far as all vaccines.
I personally feel that all these anti-vaccination activists are a bunch of goobers ... JMO.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Good question ... there is a lot of discussion as far as all vaccines.
I personally feel that all these anti-vaccination activists are a bunch of goobers ... JMO.

It's just like with anything else, you get some people, or a lot of people, who make everyone else look bad. I am not anti-vaccine, per se, hell, I got so many at basic training I'm not even sure what all I've been vaccinated against. But I do think you can have too much of a good thing. They are not a panacea and don't come without risk. For those reasons alone, people should let others make their own medical decisions without painting them as anti-science bafoons.

Some people argue herd immunity as a goal of vaccination, but I don't see the logic. If your kid got the measles vaccine, then why should you be concerned about another person's kid not having it? Maybe the concern is that the idea will spread, and too many people won't get a vaccine, and we'll have a run on healthcare resources. But if you want to prevent that, you don't paint the people you disagree with as extremist nutjobs, that leads to polarization and people becoming even more stubborn about their ideas, and distrustful of the other side.

You want a vaccine? Get it, then you shouldn't have to worry about people who don't. The immune compromised who can't get vaccines are the ones who need to take the necessary precautions themselves, not force everyone to get a vaccine to make themselves safe. It may not be fair, but I'm not a proponent of people forcing other people to carry their burdens.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
It's just like with anything else, you get some people, or a lot of people, who make everyone else look bad. I am not anti-vaccine, per se, hell, I got so many at basic training I'm not even sure what all I've been vaccinated against, But I do think you can have too much of a good thing. They are not a panacea and don't come without risk. For those reasons alone, people should let others make their own medical decisions without painting them as anti-science buffoons.

Some people argue herd immunity as a goal of vaccination, but I don't see the logic. If your kid got the measles vaccine, then why should you be concerned about another person's kid not having it? Maybe the concern is that the idea will spread, and too many people won't get a vaccine, and we'll have a run on healthcare resources. But if you want to prevent that, you don't paint the people you disagree with as extremist nutjobs, that leads to polarization and people becoming even more stubborn about their ideas, and distrustful of the other side.

You want a vaccine? Get it, then you shouldn't have to worry about people who don't. The immune compromised who can't get vaccines are the ones who need to take the necessary precautions themselves, not force everyone to get a vaccine to make themselves safe. It may not be fair, but I'm not a proponent of people forcing other people to carry their burdens.
I only think of anti-vaccination activists as a bunch of goobers if they are anti-science buffoons.

If a person thinks they will get the flu from a dead virus vaccination ... they are anti-science buffoonish goobers. JMO

Risks?

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
I only think of anti-vaccination activists as a bunch of goobers if they are anti-science buffoons.

If a person thinks they will get the flu from a dead virus vaccination ... they are anti-science buffoonish goobers. JMO

Risks?
I heard the vaccine is a live virus. Probably a very small risk in taking it. It should be up to the individual to decide whether to get vaccinated.

trickpony1

Who, in their right mind, is getting a vaccine the first time it comes out?

The Swine Flu vaccine, that we all lined up like mindless cattle to get, caused some people to get Guillain Barre Syndrome which, of course, isn't important unless it happens to you.

trickpony1

Vaccine manufacturing players are China, India, and Brazil.

Yup....that's what I want to do.
Buy vaccines from China after America accused China of starting covid-19.
There's no telling what China might "accidentally" put in any/all pharmaceuticals it sends to the USA.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Risks?

Serious side affects listed just for a measles vaccine:

"Patient Information (Source:Multum)
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction (hives, difficult breathing, swelling in your face or throat) or a severe skin reaction (fever, sore throat, burning eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash with blistering and peeling).

You should not receive a booster vaccine if you had a life-threatening allergic reaction after the first shot.

Keep track of any and all side effects you have after receiving this vaccine. When you receive a booster dose, you will need to tell the doctor if the previous shots caused any side effects.

Becoming infected with measles, mumps, or rubella is much more dangerous to your health than receiving this vaccine. However, like any medicine, this vaccine can cause side effects but the risk of serious side effects is extremely low.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

• red, tender bumps under your skin;
  • a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
  • high fever (within a few hours or a few days after the vaccine);
  • easy bruising or bleeding;
  • new or worsening cough, trouble breathing;
  • problems with balance or muscle movement;
  • a seizure; or
  • nervous system problems--numbness, pain, tingling, weakness, burning or prickly feeling, vision or hearing problems, trouble breathing."
These are rare, but still a risk for anyone. You won't know if you will have these reactions until you've already had the vaccine.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Serious side affects listed just for a measles vaccine:

"Patient Information (Source:Multum)
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction (hives, difficult breathing, swelling in your face or throat) or a severe skin reaction (fever, sore throat, burning eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash with blistering and peeling).

You should not receive a booster vaccine if you had a life-threatening allergic reaction after the first shot.

Keep track of any and all side effects you have after receiving this vaccine. When you receive a booster dose, you will need to tell the doctor if the previous shots caused any side effects.

Becoming infected with measles, mumps, or rubella is much more dangerous to your health than receiving this vaccine. However, like any medicine, this vaccine can cause side effects but the risk of serious side effects is extremely low.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

• red, tender bumps under your skin;
  • a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
  • high fever (within a few hours or a few days after the vaccine);
  • easy bruising or bleeding;
  • new or worsening cough, trouble breathing;
  • problems with balance or muscle movement;
  • a seizure; or
  • nervous system problems--numbness, pain, tingling, weakness, burning or prickly feeling, vision or hearing problems, trouble breathing."
These are rare, but still a risk for anyone. You won't know if you will have these reactions until you've already had the vaccine.
OK ... that’s a decent reason to not take the booster shot if you had serious side effects with the first shot.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Risks?

It very well might be a live attenuated vaccine and not a inactivated vaccine!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Yup....that's what I want to do.
Buy vaccines from China after America accused China of starting covid-19.
There's no telling what China might "accidentally" put in any/all pharmaceuticals it sends to the USA.
Just a guess, but I'm thinkin' it will be a while before we get any potions from the Big Red.