Coworker refuses to practice good hygiene

Johnny onthe Spot

So, I've lurked the forum some time, and I decided to create an account as I feel that I could use some advice on this little situation at work.

I work in Revenue Recovery in a large hub. Meaning that unlike being a driver or a loader/unloader, I work usually in close proximity with my coworkers. We're all standing around the same belt. And for the most part it's great. We talk a lot to pass the time, the job is easy and I love it. Much better than loading trucks anyways.

What I don't find so great is that, as the title suggest, one of my coworkers just absolutely stinks. This guy shows up everyday in disgustingly dirty clothes and a cloud of death that wafts around him. And I don't mean he smells bad like he sprays way too much Axe on himself. I wish he did that, in fact. I've smelled some smelly people in my time, but this guy really takes the cake.

On my first day in Revenue, I think just about everybody including my supervisor warned me about him. And I avoid him for the most part thanks to the fact I'm on a different belt than him. However, I was moved to his belt recently. I think, okay just keep your distance and it's all good. It's not all good. The last 3 days I've put myself in a position on the belt where I can do my job effectively and be as far as possible. I still get hit with that foul odor.

Somebody suggested perhaps he smells because he doesn't have the amenities. Maybe he can't afford it. If so, I feel sorry for the fella. At the same time however, I should not have to put up with this. You may believe I am making a big deal or being a b*tch about it. I assure it is that bad. Loading in trucks that are well over 100 degrees in the summer I can deal with. The smell is much worse than that.

Anyways, I feel that my point has been made. Has anyone encountered such a situation? What course of action should I take? And if I were to complain, who should I approach for that? My union steward, supervisor, HR, someone else?

Thank you, Jim
I remember working with someone in the hub who to stank bad. He was fat and always sweating like a pig even on cold days. The guy was actually friendly and cool to talk to and work in the same area with and we even went fishing on the weekends a few times with a few work buddies. He became part of our crew and one day the shop steward and I just decided we have to tell him about his poor hygiene and we actually taught him that he needs to wear deodorant and shower daily and brush his teeth regularly. He was totally cool about it and became a new man and even started carrying axe body spray around with him. A few months later he even got himself a girlfriend. It was an unbelievable transformation. So try having a serious talk with this guy, you might be surprised.

Jim Josephson

What does revenue recovery exactly do?

Because our hub became automated recently, our job has changed a little. Before RR had to do audits to make sure packages were priced appropriately, something like that. Now we don't do that, our responsibility is making sure the irregs are spaced on the belt and making sure they all have the smart labels.

GOAT/BESTSORTERALIVE

i have the same issue at my site . I was being an a hole about it but then thought about it . Maybe the guy is homeless or water at his home is cut off or no hot water . We should all exercise more compassion.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Your supervisor needs to handle it. I was in the exact same situation as a young PT sup many years ago and had to tell a much older employee he smells so bad that nobody will work near him and it is affecting the operation. This is a safety issue; the smell is making you physically ill. It’s is your supervisor’s responsibility to make sure you’re working in a safe environment. If he won’t do it, go above his head and/or possibly file a grievance.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2019-1-12_13-22-46-png.230711

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
i have the same issue at my site . I was being an a hole about it but then thought about it . Maybe the guy is homeless or water at his home is cut off or no hot water . We should all exercise more compassion.
No water? Join a $10 a month gym.

No need to smell, ever!