Crash and burn...

Hello Dear Brown Cafe Community,
I am a new member, so I hope I will not make mistakes in my first posting. I was hoping to find advice and input on the following matter.
I was hired as a seasonal helper for UPS last November. Being the only female helper hired, I knew I had to work as hard or even harder as my driver and other UPS guys, so I could prove that I can do the job. Into the second week of my temporary holiday job, I received a call from my supervisor asking me if I would be interested in a driving position. (I do drive manual transmission, hold a Class A with T endorsment and have a graduate degree.) I told them of course, I would love to, and would be more than willing to work in whatever area I need to (pre-loading, etc.) and as long as it would take in order to eventually become a UPS driver. I was told that the position I was considered for is to be filled from the outside. So, for the past two months all I've been told is I'm as good as in, all the bosses have been super impressed and happy with my work, etc. A week ago I was asked to go in for an interview. Today I received a call, where I was told I was one of the top candidates, if they had another opening they would offer it to me, but at this time they offered the position to someone who worked for UPS before and currently is working for FedEx. Appearantly, there wouldn't be training costs associated with him, as with me, they would have to send me thru it. I was told, they don't want me to "give up on UPS" and come April/May they want me to become a seasonal driver for them. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice, what this means in "UPS" language? Am I being played around with? Will I be fired after the seasonal driving is over? Any advice would be grately appreciated.
Thank you.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I doubt they are playing with you. They probably are refering
to whats called an RTD driver, usually 6 months full time,
sometimes longer. When that job ends, you'll just go back to the hub, doing whatever job you did before you went driving. RTD jobs are both good and bad On the positive side, you'll be working on full time pay progression. Currently 30 months to top pay. However many months you work as RTD, you can subtract from that. It will also give you a realistic idea about what you can expect on a daily basis as a driver and whether or not you feel like it's the type job you want. On the negative side, you'll get used to getting the hours/pay as a full timer, but when the job ends its back to the building. Kinda hard to find a 2nd job supplement your income when your only available 6 months or less a year. Personally, i think the pros outweigh the cons, i didn't RTD, but i know plenty of people that have and it worked for them. Good Luck!

Channahon

Hello Dear Brown Cafe Community,
I am a new member, so I hope I will not make mistakes in my first posting. I was hoping to find advice and input on the following matter.
I was hired as a seasonal helper for UPS last November. Being the only female helper hired, I knew I had to work as hard or even harder as my driver and other UPS guys, so I could prove that I can do the job. Into the second week of my temporary holiday job, I received a call from my supervisor asking me if I would be interested in a driving position. (I do drive manual transmission, hold a Class A with T endorsment and have a graduate degree.) I told them of course, I would love to, and would be more than willing to work in whatever area I need to (pre-loading, etc.) and as long as it would take in order to eventually become a UPS driver. I was told that the position I was considered for is to be filled from the outside. So, for the past two months all I've been told is I'm as good as in, all the bosses have been super impressed and happy with my work, etc. A week ago I was asked to go in for an interview. Today I received a call, where I was told I was one of the top candidates, if they had another opening they would offer it to me, but at this time they offered the position to someone who worked for UPS before and currently is working for FedEx. Appearantly, there wouldn't be training costs associated with him, as with me, they would have to send me thru it. I was told, they don't want me to "give up on UPS" and come April/May they want me to become a seasonal driver for them. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice, what this means in "UPS" language? Am I being played around with? Will I be fired after the seasonal driving is over? Any advice would be grately appreciated.
Thank you.
Why would you want to be a UPS driver if you have a graduate degree? Are you looking for a career in your field at UPS?

DS

Fenderbender
First of all, welcome to the forum.
The answers to your questions are not easy,as ups tends to have different ideas about hiring depending on where you live.
One thing is certain,they rarely offer compliments about how
good of a job you do,so you must have some admirable qualities over and above the other candidates.If its a big
center,your chances are good.If I were you I`d try to talk
to the interviewer again and eagerly remind them of your desire to start as soon as soon as possible.
Good luck!

Just Lurking

New employees can cover two free periods in row. If they work a third free period in a row they will gain seniority. This a change from the previous contract which only allowed alternating free period for non-seniority employees.

Basically, this gives the company almost four years before full scale if they actually hire a seasonal/peak coverage person.

summer vacation -> peak coverage -> missed summer vacation coverage -> permanently hired after the next peak coverage and full scale after 30 months = four years