Crazy drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon (West side)

anonymous23456

I just can't remember the details that well now, but it was years ago when I visited a friend from Las Vegas. She grew up there as a kid (not sure she was born there). So, she told me: "yeah, I know a way how to get to the Grand Cayon." Don't ever listen to a woman about driving! We drove for miles in the back country roads that some parts do not have paved surface. We did not see anything for miles. Luckily, I topped out the fuel tank before we left Vegas. The whole time, I was scared to death of flash flood and running out of gas. We didn't have GPS or electronic map back then. We went through the Indian reservation land and ended up on the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. We couldn't drive fast because the roads were snaking around places and full of loose rocks and dirt. It must have been the Hualapai Indian Reservation.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I just can't remember the details that well now, but it was years ago when I visited a friend from Las Vegas. She grew up there as a kid (not sure she was born there). So, she told me: "yeah, I know a way how to get to the Grand Cayon." Don't ever listen to a woman about driving! We drove for miles in the back country roads that some parts do not have paved surface. We did not see anything for miles. Luckily, I topped out the fuel tank before we left Vegas. The whole time, I was scared to death of flash flood and running out of gas. We didn't have GPS or electronic map back then. We went through the Indian reservation land and ended up on the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. We couldn't drive fast because the roads were snaking around places and full of loose rocks and dirt. It must have been the Hualapai Indian Reservation.
And then the Indians killed you?

UnionStrong

They are not waiting in your shoes?
No, lol. I’ve only seen them in the desert a good distance away from me, and only at night. It’s not impossible for them to be near my house, I have heard stories about people getting stung in bed! No tarantulas are around. Scorpions glow under a black light flashlight at night, like a greenish florescent light

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I took the same trip back in 2010. I kept saying as I was driving, "This can't possibly be the right way to get there!" We got there...eventually. Not sure if it's the same way now, but you could only drive to a certain point, where you then had to buy a ticket for a bus to drive you the rest of the way to the canyon itself. Driving those winding dirt roads between the buttes had me having flashbacks of the old westerns where the wagons would be going through the canyons, and the Indians would be up on top about to descend and attack. I kept checking the tops of those buttes just by instinct having watched hundreds of those old westerns with my dad, thinking "someone's coming down to get us."

My main concern wasn't gas or floods. I was thinking, let's get out of the Grand Canyon early enough to beat darkness, as that was going to be hell to drive in the dark, with nothing lit, no road markers and all the dust being kicked up by other vehicles, including full sized busses on winding dirt roads.

The Canyon itself was cool on that side though, no railings, no fences, nothing altered because it's on the tribal lands. The skywalk was pretty damn cool too. Once was enough though. Not doing that again, although I've read that the road has since been paved.

UnionStrong

I took the same trip back in 2010. I kept saying as I was driving, "This can't possibly be the right way to get there!" We got there...eventually. Not sure if it's the same way now, but you could only drive to a certain point, where you then had to buy a ticket for a bus to drive you the rest of the way to the canyon itself. Driving those winding dirt roads between the buttes had me having flashbacks of the old westerns where the wagons would be going through the canyons, and the Indians would be up on top about to descend and attack. I kept checking the tops of those buttes just by instinct having watched hundreds of those old westerns with my dad, thinking "someone's coming down to get us."

My main concern wasn't gas or floods. I was thinking, let's get out of the Grand Canyon early enough to beat darkness, as that was going to be hell to drive in the dark, with nothing lit, no road markers and all the dust being kicked up by other vehicles, including full sized busses on winding dirt roads.

The Canyon itself was cool on that side though, no railings, no fences, nothing altered because it's on the tribal lands. The skywalk was pretty damn cool too. Once was enough though. Not doing that again, although I've read that the road has since been paved.
A guy fell off the skywalk this year.