Customer cash gifts

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This is the time of year when we start getting gifts from customers. On Friday, a longtime customer gave me an envelope with $25.00 cash in it. Knowing this fella has a big family and lives modestly I tried to convince him there was no need to. He insisted,stuffed the envelope in my pocket and closed the door.

A poster some time ago had a thread under "Best gifts received from customer at Xmas" or something like that. Someone posted something that stuck with me even today..quote "Cash gifts usually come from resi delivery or people with small businesses and not from big companies" end quote. So true!

With today's spiraling economy, I decided to make this gift go far. My local food store has a promotion that for ten dollars you can fill an oversized grocery bag with non-perishable food. They variety they choose to fill is really impressive so I threw in $5.00 and bought three bags (also using store discount card).

As luck would have it, our Police department is in the middle of a food drive. And, when you think about it who would know better than your local police who deal with family's in need. When I arrived with my booty, the officer receiving the goods says "You must be blessed to give so generously this time of year", you will in turn feed 3 to 4 families with these.

I cannot tell you what a great feeling that was. We are blessed with the income we make which is the top scale in the industry we choose to work in.

This is where my cash gifts are going this year and hope you all would do the same.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Excellent idea. I will add that we can give our Turkey Gift cards too. A lot of people are losing jobs now, we should help others as much as we can. There are so many ways to do it.

Big Babooba

I returned to work this past October. I decided to give anything I got for Christmas gifts to the driver who covered my route while I was out. I didn't think it was fair to him if I kept them. Some people think I am crazy (that's been proven by the "experts"), but feel like I'm doing what is right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is a nice change of pace to have a thread such as this. I also intend to donate my Turkey Card. I have already given my helper the tin of cookies that I received (although I did have to sample one to make sure they were OK) and I intend to buy him lunch and give him a gift card to GameStop on our last day. I plan on using any cash gifts to tip my mailman and newspaper carrier $20 each as well as my regular loader ($100) and Peak loader ($25). I don't drink liquor so any gifts of booze will go to a fellow driver who does. I will keep any restaurant gift certificates as I love to go out to eat.

Big Babooba

I don't drink liquor so any gifts of booze will go to a fellow driver who does.
Why create hard feelings among the drivers who don't receive a bottle from you? I suggest that you use "Big Babooba's Alcoholic Beverage Disposal Service". I will come to your location and rid it of all the Demon Alcohol that is on the premises.:laughing: The best part is that there is absolutely no charge to you! Just call 1 800 HNG OVER and I will be there to take care of your problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why create hard feelings among the drivers who don't receive a bottle from you? I suggest that you use "Big Babooba's Alcoholic Beverage Disposal Service". I will come to your location and rid it of all the Demon Alcohol that is on the premises.:laughing: The best part is that there is absolutely no charge to you! Just call 1 800 HNG OVER and I will be there to take care of your problem.

I'll just go to your website:

www.bbabds.com

Cementups

Box Monkey
I got my first Christmas present of the year on Thursday. A $25 GC to Texas Roadhouse. I will not be giving that away since it is one of my wife's favorite restaurants. I do pass some of mmy gifts on to my loaders and helpers though, every year.

As far as teh pepole with less giving you more, I learned that that is the way it is while I worked for my brother setting up parties. The people wiht the $.5M homes would treat you like some poor MExican and you were their b!tch. but the people who looked ike they did have two nickels to rub together would be forever greatful for what you have provided for them. bottom line is, the "haves" appreciate it more, then the "have nots"

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
BLACKBOX - That is a great idea.

BIG - Thank you for remembering us lowly utility drivers, that take great care of your customers when you are out. Many many drivers don't and could care less. On the flip side of that, I personally make sure any gifts that I recieve on the one day the regular driver is out, goes directly to that driver. The regular driver deserves that gift not me, and it BS that they don't recieve them. I don't raid cookies and candy, and I don't open envelopes.

Not to criticize here, but I think you said this bassakwards.
bottom line is, the "haves" appreciate it more, then the "have nots"
I do pretty much the way you do Dilli, as a cover driver I have done extra routes during peak and recieved gifts because I was the UPS driver that day. I pass those on to the regs.
The route I have been covering the most for the last 3-4 months is for a guy that was on comp, then returned for a couple of days and went out on disability. More people on this route know my name than know his and I think most of them think I am their regular driver. LOL This year any gifts that may come my way(not that I am expecting any) will be passed on to more needful people.
When I am receiving service from someone that earns considerably less than I do, I am a pretty good tipper (not to pat myself on the back), but when the person makes as much as I do and tips are not figured into their regular income I don't tip. I'll tip a good waitress/waiter 25%, but I won't tip a realestate agent.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I started working at 18 as a waitress. I learned early about tipping. I too am generous as far as tipping goes. If it is earned. On the other side of that I can be very hard on service people when service is shoddy. I make good money and I am not afraid of spending it.

S

speeddemon

BLACKBOX - That is a great idea.

BIG - Thank you for remembering us lowly utility drivers, that take great care of your customers when you are out. Many many drivers don't and could care less. On the flip side of that, I personally make sure any gifts that I recieve on the one day the regular driver is out, goes directly to that driver. The regular driver deserves that gift not me, and it BS that they don't recieve them. I don't raid cookies and candy, and I don't open envelopes.

They are OUR customers, not just mine. I was once a LOWLY cover driver, as you put it, and after time, I got a bid route too. Keep the faith and you will get there too!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes they are all OUR customers but the regular drivers work all year taking care of their customers. I might fill in on occasion, but generally not enough to warrant taking Christmas gifts that don't belong to me. If I'm on a rte that is vacated for an extended time (injury, etc) then all bets are off.:happy-very:

I know eventually I will get a bidded rte, it would be sooner if some of our drivers would get a life and retire. LOL:happy-very:

Yes they are all OUR customers but the regular drivers work all year taking care of their customers. I might fill in on occasion, but generally not enough to warrant taking Christmas gifts that don't belong to me. If I'm on a rte that is vacated for an extended time (injury, etc) then all bets are off.:happy-very:

I know eventually I will get a bidded rte, it would be sooner if some of our drivers would get a life and retire. LOL:happy-very:
I know that's RIGHT Dilli.
I did have a bid route for six years in a satellite center, but they brought it back to the home center and I lost it on the next bid. There were not any other routes that I wanted when it came my turn to bid so I went back to cover/swing with enough seniority the get a decent route each day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's where I am at now. 2nd on the seniority list for utility drivers. I love it when the morning sup assigns rtes willy-nilly. I take the one I want which is often not the one thats been assigned. It's funny as hell when I get an ODS pu during the day and send it back to the center because they sent it to the wrong rte. LOL