day after thanksgiving was put on call

mart31

I was put on call which is nowhere in handbook, told them I was goin out of town and they called on friday morning sayin they needed me..I told them I was out of town..monday after they gave me a warning letter for a call in...any info on this bs?

Marne Vet

Imagine if every rookie driver did what you did on Black Friday, and just ignored the fact that being on call, is the same as being told you have to work. Now imagine tomorrow half of your center fails to show-up, and their excuse was "We just decided to go out of town". Sorry, but you're not getting any sympathy for that one. You eared that Warning letter kid.

mart31

I wasnt scheduled to work..they said I was on call, there is no on call policy in handbook

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

Marne Vet

I wasnt scheduled to work..they said I was on call, there is no on call policy in handbook

You were put on call prior to Thanksgiving. It' no different than being forced to work, and yes, the company can do this. Black Friday is a UPS Holiday, not a National Holiday. They make the call. Do you work every Friday? Black Friday is dictated by UPS. Low man on the totem pole has to work, or be on call. You knew that, and you basically told them you didn't care. It's no different than you using that excuse tomorrow and not going to work. How long have you worked at UPS? A few weeks? Every driver should already know this. Like I said, you earned the Warning Letter.

mart31

Where in contract does it say you can be put on call! Full time 10 yrs..they posted list on monday I was not on list so I made plans then...on Tuesday they called me and said I was gonna be on call..

Marne Vet

Where in contract does it say you can be put on call! Full time 10 yrs..they posted list on monday I was not on list so I made plans then...on Tuesday they called me and said I was gonna be on call..

I can't tell you what section of the contract covers it. I can tell you that if you have less time than any driver ahead of you, and they need you, then they can put you on call on Tuesday to cover Friday, or if they need the drivers they can make the entire center work. You said they told you on Tuesday. They gave you 48 hours notice. If they say you have to work you have to work. Ten years on and you don't know that? o_O

Future

Victory Ride
Next time, just sign up to work and request you want your full 8hr guarantee. This way there is no surprise for you to come in. Also i few guys have done this and where told they could not have a 8hr day, thus given the day off!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
This issue was grieved in my local years ago. Either you are put on the list to work a week in advance or you are scheduled off. There is no on call on a holiday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be one thing if they didn't say a word until they called you Friday morning and told you that they needed you. You were told Tuesday morning that you may be needed to work and that you needed to be available. Your response was to basically blow them off by going out of town. They put people on call in case the volume is more than anticipated. I agree with Marne----you deserved the warning letter.

Imagine if every rookie driver did what you did on Black Friday, and just ignored the fact that being on call, is the same as being told you have to work. Now imagine tomorrow half of your center fails to show-up, and their excuse was "We just decided to go out of town". Sorry, but you're not getting any sympathy for that one. You eared that Warning letter kid.
You were put on call prior to Thanksgiving. It' no different than being forced to work, and yes, the company can do this. Black Friday is a UPS Holiday, not a National Holiday. They make the call. Do you work every Friday? Black Friday is dictated by UPS. Low man on the totem pole has to work, or be on call. You knew that, and you basically told them you didn't care. It's no different than you using that excuse tomorrow and not going to work. How long have you worked at UPS? A few weeks? Every driver should already know this. Like I said, you earned the Warning Letter.
I can't tell you what section of the contract covers it. I can tell you that if you have less time than any driver ahead of you, and they need you, then they can put you on call on Tuesday to cover Friday, or if they need the drivers they can make the entire center work. You said they told you on Tuesday. They gave you 48 hours notice. If they say you have to work you have to work. Ten years on and you don't know that? o_O

I hate to critique your comments but the OP simply asked a question. There's no need to jump right in being harsh and criticizing the level of his knowledge and expieriance. And when asked to back up your statement with fact you don't have it.
What might be true in your local, what his seniority might be, can all come in to play in giving a informational response that could benefit us all on BC.

Thanks

pretender

I think if you are on call that you should be available to work. However, how in the heck can they make anyone be on call on a contractually paid holiday?

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know what part of the contract covers this, but find out if there were any lower seniority drivers that didn't come in as well. If they don't get a warning letter yours won't stand the simplest of grievances, but grieve it regardless. In my view you stiffed them since they did give you a few days warning, but they also screwed up in not putting you on the list the day before so you made plans so grieve it and either it'll get dropped or it won't and you're not likely to be causing attendance issues anyways that would let them proceed off the warning letter in the next 9 months right?

cino321

You guys are all jumping down this guy's throat for not being around to work because he was "on-call."

First of all, you are either scheduled to come in or you're not. That's it, no debate. If you are scheduled to come in (which he wasn't), and they do not have work for you, request your guarantee.

Let's say, for instance, they called him and told him they didn't need him, is that right? Give me a break.

You need to grieve that warning letter for harassment, and if I were you, I'd have a few words for my shop steward as well.

pretender

There was a time when the Friday after Thanksgiving was not a paid holiday. I was a package driver at the time, and a few of us would come in early to hear the center manager blow up when the mall driver called in sick.

mart31

I was simply just asking a question...I have a bid route with a military base on it...only one other driver knows my route and has a badge to get on this base..he is 12 below me in seniority on FT driving list he didnt show so they only called me because they fail to train others in this area and get base clearance. I was not called in due to seniority or staffing issues!

I was simply just asking a question...I have a bid route with a military base on it...only one other driver knows my route and has a badge to get on this base..he is 12 below me in seniority on FT driving list he didnt show so they only called me because they fail to train others in this area and get base clearance. I was not called in due to seniority or staffing issues!

File on warning letter. Lack of proper center mgmt does not make you on call.
File also for violation of seniority.

Johney

Lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on yours.